Just received my adjustable brake levers!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Just received my adjustable brake levers!

Post by figurehead71 »

gn2 wrote:Can you adjust the free play as well as the handspan?
(ideally you need to be able to do both)
Good point and something I had not thought about with these levers, adjusting the handspan alone is just going to give a "spongy" feel to braking.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

gn2 wrote:Can you adjust the free play as well as the handspan?
(ideally you need to be able to do both)

To be honest, I have absolutely no idea
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Just received my adjustable brake levers!

Post by Alibally »

Are the levers moving ok. Eg. The bolt too tight holding the lever on restricting its movement?
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

The levers are moving smoothly enough... but it seems like there is quite a bit of movement before they start to really kick in. Physically everything looks fine, and when i'm just pushing the bike along and give them a squeeze they stop instantly.

Perhaps it's all in my head.... i'm still going to try and swap back the stock levers at the weekend for a comparison though.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

They look gr8,I also need a set of these as I also battle to grab the brake levers with my small hands
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Alibally wrote:Are the levers moving ok. Eg. The bolt too tight holding the lever on restricting its movement?
The movement is absolutely fine... but somehow the braking now seems a bit 'spongy' and not quite as responsive - it feels like you have to squeeze the levers quite hard before they really start to engadge (compared with the stock levers).
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I also have small hands and solved the problem for myself by adjusting the rear brake lever freeplay. How to do this is in my owner's manual, so if you have an owner's manual you could look it up in the index. In mine (USA, PCX 150) it is on page 72. I just adjusted a half turn at a time until it felt right for me.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gse123 wrote:
Alibally wrote:Are the levers moving ok. Eg. The bolt too tight holding the lever on restricting its movement?
The movement is absolutely fine... but somehow the braking now seems a bit 'spongy' and not quite as responsive - it feels like you have to squeeze the levers quite hard before they really start to engadge (compared with the stock levers).

Did you put the old levers back on?
vnpython

Post by vnpython »

i recently also install biker's break level and as the thread started mentioned, feel and grip better than original level. 1 thing i do notice is with same brake setting before / after install, with biker pro level, i need to squeeze more to apply the brake, maybe due to the distant of the level to the grip.

so i 'release' the rear brake nut to the drum distant to compensate the biker pro level new distant. now the squeeze is very comfortable and precise. the number on the level is to compensate for shorter finger (women rider?) so to bring the level closer to grip.

My VN Bike Thread http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1590

gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Indyglow wrote:I also have small hands and solved the problem for myself by adjusting the rear brake lever freeplay. How to do this is in my owner's manual, so if you have an owner's manual you could look it up in the index. In mine (USA, PCX 150) it is on page 72. I just adjusted a half turn at a time until it felt right for me.
Thanks - I will try this later on today.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

qed wrote:
gse123 wrote:

Did you put the old levers back on?
I did, and they felt more responsive (as i'd remembered), but I think this is purely because the levers were further away so bike was braking harder at a relative position of the lever away from the grip. Unfortuantely I just don't feel 100% comfortable with the distance away of the stock brake levers with my small hands, so have switched back to the adjustable ones.