Here Comes Another Noob

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

bigblue505
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Here Comes Another Noob

Post by bigblue505 »

Hi, I recently picked up a 2013 black PCX. I've had dozens of bikes from 100 to 1200 cc over the years and a couple 2-stroke Vespas, but I'm getting old and downsizing. I can get on and off this without throwing my hip out. I'm liking this little scooter. I rarely leave town anymore and I'm having fun exploring the back roads and neighborhoods. I prefer to keep it on roads with 45 mph speed limits or slower. I need to do something with the seat, though. I've tried removing the hump, and adding an air pad and seat cover. I'm 6'1" and it gets uncomfortable on longer trips. Other than the seat, the legroom and handlebars are just right. For now I put the hump back on and I'll learn to like it. I don't want to put a lot of money into this scooter.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Here Comes Another Noob

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome aboard our forums and congrats on choosing a PCX - "it's one fun scoot!"
I enjoy the ride best between 40-45mph too.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I went from a Daytona 900 to a PCX. Riding became more relaxed, pleasurable and fun.
PCX is excellent for exploring country back roads.

Regarding the seat, as well as taking the hump off you can cut out the hump mount mouldings from the seat base, add some foam and re-cover e.g. Cheeky Seat

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... qshs5gvq62
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

+1
Keep in mind on the 2013 model (I have 2 of them) that Honda made the seat for the Asians, mainly because that is where they are manufactured. It took a few years for the numbers in Europe to come up enough for Honda to consider the requests from the European community. (The American community barely moves the marker when it comes to scooter sales, so our opinion does not matter.) The 2015 model had a much nicer seat, but it will NOT fit the earlier models.

Most of us with the earlier models purchased replacement seats from Thailand or we had the original seat modified by a professional. However, if you want to do the job yourself, here are some hints:

1.) The back brace that is attached is only bolted on, but it bolts onto a plastic support under the seat that is close to the surface. Therefore, taking off the brace will do nothing for comfort unless you also remove those plastic supports.
2.) Once the supports are cut off there will be a hole under the seat that needs to be filled with some foam and held into place by something other than duct tape, which will eventually get hot and fall off. (Some members have used a piece of metal and small screws. Others have glued plastic over the hole.)
3.) The screw holes on top of the seat need to be sealed. Some have used duct tape and have covered the entire seat with a seat cover such as one from Cheeky Seats.

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... oiupc4u106

Hopefully this will give you ideas.
My bike ready to ride.jpg
My bike ready to ride.jpg (168.55 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
bigblue505

Post by bigblue505 »

I took a look at the the humpectomy thread and it looks doable. I'll live with the hump for now (it feels better with the hump than without) and maybe save it for a winter project. I believe they put the hump there to put the riders' weight right where they wanted it. My first fill-up got me 91 mpg, not bad. The speedometer's way more accurate than any motorcycle I've owned. When the weather gets better I plan on trailering it to some of the nice scenic areas where the roads are all 40 mph and well-policed. It's light enough for me to get it on and off the trailer by myself. About all I've done is change the motor oil and flush the brake fluid. Other than that I'm not going to monkey with it much.
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by xixon »

another option for your seat is a "Cheeky Seat" cover which allows you to take off the hump and hide the holes with a decent looking cover....you can also add foam to soften the plastic mounts

I'm 6ft 4" so the extra leg-room is worth the effort and cost of the cover...and I swear I have better control of the bike with the extra leg-room
Attachments
P7080045.JPG
P7080045.JPG (155.44 KiB) Viewed 462 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

bigblue505,

Would mind going into your profile and adding your general location, please? It helps us help you better since this is an international forum. Thank you.

xixon,

I like your cover! I think I would have gone that route if they had offered them way back when I purchased my pcx.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks Mel and thank you bigblue for adding your location.

About the seat, I really like what cheeky seat has to offer our scoots now. I spoke with them years back about getting onboard with the PCX. Took time but They made it happen! Great folks to deal with, I wouldn't hesitate doing bizz with them at all. Nope, not one iota.

Member gn2 posted their link above. Won't hurt to check their website's content. No matter...one way or another (< there ya go, another song :D ) get comfy! It's a Biggie and you'll Ride Safer!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
bigblue505

Post by bigblue505 »

I ordered a padded Cheeky Seat cover today, but I'm still concerned about those raised bolt holes poking me in the behind. I may dremel out some of that plastic, pop-rivet in some sheet metal straps, and fill it in with foam. Where would be a good local place to look for foam of the right density without spending a lot of money?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

bigblue505 wrote:I ordered a padded Cheeky Seat cover today, but I'm still concerned about those raised bolt holes poking me in the behind. I may dremel out some of that plastic, pop-rivet in some sheet metal straps, and fill it in with foam. Where would be a good local place to look for foam of the right density without spending a lot of money?
Don't know how much you need to fill....but 6 years ago when I rebuilt my Kymco seat (which had a horrible plastic lump halfway back) I went online for proper seating foam. There are many kinds, with different compression characteristics - for different seating needs.
Shipped to my house....much better than the stuff sold at fabric stores, or off the shelf at Walmart.
Rode on it again this morning - very comfy seat! Glad I invested the time to get the right stuff.
Stig
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Stig? < New fish?
Can you offer a link to the type of foam padding you're suggesting or something similar to what you used? :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cool bigblue, you ordered one! I'm anxious to see your finished product
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

A couple of days ago my wife and I went shopping for some foam for a storage ottoman we were redoing...We got it free online. We went to a place called Michael's. It is a craft store. It had an unbelievable variety and density of foam. I even found some that would work well in the seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150