Whirring sound..Michelin City Grip

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Whirring sound..Michelin City Grip

Post by easyrider »

Anyone experience a whirring humm from the front tire using Michelin City Grips.?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Whirring sound..Michelin City Grip

Post by fish »

Ummmmmm, nnnnnnnnnnno.

Fish
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

No I don't.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Tire pressure OK?

I noticed that a little bit on my PCX from time to time with the stock tires when I'd be slowing down coming to an intersection. I usually added a little air about once every month or so. It seemed to help.

Maybe make note of the weather (effecting road surface temperature), pavement conditions, and speed when you hear it again . . .. It may help you to narrow down the cause. Let us know if you find anything. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I only hear it above 45 mph..Did not hear it with the stock Dunlop tires.The city grip does have a much more aggressive tread ,and does grip better... But hums away after 45 mph.???
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Probably normal, the stock front tire pressure is 25 psi but I usually got weird tire wear. I would try 29 psi front and rear. Let me know how the front tire looks after 15,000 km.

The handling will be very active with 29 front but ride appropriately.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Newly developed or unfamiliar sounds are always a concern . . . especially when there's no apparent reason for anything to be going wrong considering the treatment and mileage of your machine.

Something else to consider may be the wheel bearings?

Are the front brakes operating normally? Nothing stuck in the caliper right? Can you clearly see the wear grooves in the pads OK? No discoloration or excessive heat build up on the rotor?

Any changes to your helmet shield or windscreen?

So it's at 45MPH ish eh?

It could be tire pressure maybe. Did they resurface or treat the roads in your area recently?

Maybe just give a once over look at the fasteners . . . even the exhaust system related fasteners. Something loose could vibrate.

This guy on his Harley gets a weird noise also but he thinks it's front wheel bearing trouble. You can skip the B.S. at the beginning of the video until he actually starts riding the thing but he makes some good points about the fact that it was doing it before he changed the tire. You can hear it then . . . right around 1:34. Wwwwoooooooo . . .. :roll:

Hope you find out sooner rather than later for safety sake. :geek:

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

That video is exactly what it sounds like. I have spun the wheel on the lift and there was no roughness ,or any noise but that video fits it it to a tee.. I appreciate all the comments thanks .. looks like I will replace the front wheel bearings and go from there.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Hope everything works out . . ..

You'll be all set for another year of riding once you get things fixed. At least in Florida you get a full year! 8)
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I suspect it is just tire noise. It could be bearing but I have over 100,000 km on my front bearing.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Could very well be tire noise..Replacing the front bearings is no big deal so Ill start there.If it still whines,then it for sure its the tire.It sounds just like the above video and starts up after 45 mph..however off the bike the bearings appear to be smooth and no end play whatsoever.Bearings are very cheap fyi, so we shall see...said the blind man!
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

I had the whirring humm from my City Grip at around 80kph but would go away at 100kph. When I first got it I set the pressure to the recommended 25psi. I think that 25psi is too low for these City Gips. I increased the pressure to 29psi and the humm went away.

So, what's your tire pressure? Checking that is easier then checking the bearings.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Jacked up my PSI to 30.0 on the Michelin city grips.. I purchased the bearings and have the equipment ready to install them however as you stated the noise at 45 mph diminished somewhat and is much more tolerable now at 30 psi. At 50 mph barely noticeable. Sometimes I get too finnicky with noises and look to fix things that may not need fixing..Its not a daily rider so working on it and messing with it only adds to the enjoyment of the hobby.In this case its mostlikely the tires but ready for bearings if things should get worse.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I had exactly the same whine with my scootsmart tires and ran slightly under inflated. My Xmax is also 33/29 stock , so I now run 34/30… Noise is gone…ride comfort still acceptable.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

No whirring from my XMax tires . . . but I've only had it a couple of months. I'll have to check the tire pressures for specifics but figure the dealership had it at factory specs OTD.

The only thing about raising the tire pressure is that the wear may increase along the center line of the tire. :geek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Could be the road surface.
Try riding on different roads.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong