Probably a can of worms, but . . .

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wilsonsteve
Year: 2019
Color: white

Probably a can of worms, but . . .

Post by wilsonsteve »

I've had my new Forza for just over a week now, and really enjoying riding it, but a couple of questions have occurred to me and I hoped I could tap into the accumulated experience of the forum.
First, if I need to top up the oil at some point is there a recommended/most favoured oil I should get? The owner's handbook gives the oil's specs but no brands.
Second, when I got the Forza I simply changed the bike on my insurance policy, which expires soon. Again, as renewal comes round are there any companies to look at particularly, and any to avoid?
Thanks, Steve
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Probably a can of worms, but . . .

Post by Jge64 »

First of all , if you have the proper oil level to start, I seriously doubt whether you’ll ever have to “top it off”. I haven’t seen too many situations where these little scooters are burning oil. Just go with whatever major recognized brand that is the proper spec… You don’t have to use Honda oil, (which is actually just bought from one of the majors)…Honestly after the marketing is all done, there is not that much difference in the oils that are available today. I would definitely use a 10w30 full synthetic oil.

Your insurance question is for people who live in England.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I had a Forza 300, rode it over 30,000 miles and never topped it up once.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wilsonsteve
Year: 2019
Color: white

Post by wilsonsteve »

Thank you, gents, that's reassuring.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

You almost definitely will not have to top up the oil before the 600 mile service which is not that expensive as it basically is an oil & filter change and a general check over. If you feel the need to buy oil, just buy a good quality semi synthetic (you do not need expensive fully synthetic) 10/30 motorcycle/scooter oil. I have never had to top up oil in over 11,000 miles. Most Hondas don't use oil between services.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I always look at what the "Owner's Manual" listed specifications call for.

For example engine oil or final drive gear oil will suggest an API or JASCO rating with some allowances for climatic conditions (temperature). So you may have to make a choice between a 10w-30 vs a 10w-40.

The newer synthetic or synthetic blended oils are available as well as the more traditional mineral based oils.

Others can chime in on this but as a general rule I don't alternate between the use of mineral or synthetic oil in any machine.

I tend to stick with the same brand and oil type for the life of the machine (while I own it). There are some exceptions where I'll use a different brand oil but it's always to the same viscosity and same specification.

FWIW I still like to use the mineral based oils in my motorcycles and scooters. But only mineral based oils that match the spec on the "Owner's Manual". :geek:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Not sure which Forza you are talking about.
Service manual for my 2014 NSS300 Forza the specified oil was Pro Honda HP4M, with Molybdenum additive..
Scooter is gone, but still have a gal. of it.
Fish