Where do you park your ride ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Where do you park your ride ?

Post by you you »

Docscooter2010 wrote:Bet there's some nice rides in North Yorkshire , A lot of old coal mining villages where I live , think the kids or just bored so I think taking a scooter or bike is nothing to them , it still happens . Durham city is not to bad to park your scooter but there is a lot more parking wardens about . Once I was sat on old elvet bridge and about 8 wardens got out of a van like a Swat team .
Be aware my friend , they are out there .

They really aren’t.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I park my pcx on a driveway between my car and the front of the house (small UK driveway and home being in London). I used to always lock the bike to the tow-bar with a chain but lately stopped doing it as I use the bike 15 days a month for commuting (so bike semi-hidden by the car as it's facing the street)
A few weeks ago my neighbour came over and said she saw two young men eyeing my bike up - one came into the driveway and was looking over the bike, which is always covered, and then his friend came in to have a look too - they only ran away when they spotted my neighbour watching them from an upstairs window. If that had not happened I guess I would have come out to find the bike gone one day.
Now I always chain it to the tow-bar, far too many low-life scumbags around London and other cities now.

So nothing happened and now you chain it to the towbar. I can see what is going to happen next. Carry on.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Post by Docscooter2010 »

You got that right , keep an eye on it mate . Good job your neighbour is on the ball . Where do you park it when you commute , have you got secure parking for your scooter . Is. London doing anything to stop bike/scooter crime .
iNUKE
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by iNUKE »

Front porch

1- anchor point on concrete floor
2- chain with 12mm disk lock attack to anchor and back wheel rim in between a wall and the bike, whereas its VERY hard to grinder any of it (no space for grinder in between wall and bike), anchor point is right in between the back wheel and the wall, the chain is too short to pull the bike away from the wall
3- disk lock
4- d lock rear wheel to frame
5- chain to second anchor point and frame
6- cover
7- alarm
8- tracker

Yes I do it all everyday, it takes less than 2 minutes once you get used to it and have it setup.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Wow , that's taking security to a hole new level . Thought I was bad with a disc lock & chain . Think that post might shock a few of our oversea friends , the lengths you have to go to to keep your scooter safe " unbelievable "
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Docscooter2010 wrote:Wow , that's taking security to a hole new level . Thought I was bad with a disc lock & chain . Think that post might shock a few of our oversea friends , the lengths you have to go to to keep your scooter safe " unbelievable "

No they aren’t. I thought we had bottomed this.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Some of your replies seem quiet cynical , Tying to have a discussion on Motorcycle / Scooter security which is very relevant
at the moment in certain parts of the UK .Have a read of Bennett's web page on using. Disc locks , chains etc . Might make you change your mind . Don't think we have Bottomed this at all !!.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

A discussion worth having, even though we've talked it before. The problem exists, it's growing. It's broadening. It's disheartening. Is there a fix?

Doc I've been reading through this thread and I most certainly understand your concerns. I bet many biker's in or near your location share your fear of loss or damage to their motorbikes. Seeing more wardens about the area(s) surely sends up a red flag. Sadly, I have no secure answer for you. But, I will suggest (if you can afford) to purchase the-Best-of-the-Best Insurance - Comprehensive/aka/Fire and Theft. Collision is a seperate entity (but sometimes goes hand in hand with the purchase of Comp cvg) if it's Not a package and not required, than Collision cvg up to you (consider age of bike, etc).
I know insurance paperwork would be a p.i.t.a. (pain in the a_ _) should a claim be made. But that's true of everything today - paper paper paper!

To answer your question,
My scoot is parked in my garage. My townhome community (500 units) is in the Core of a fairly unstable town that's surrounded by (all kinds of) Bad to the bone Folks. In the evening whilst walking around the block after dinner's meal you take the dog, pepper spray, a walking stick, portable alarm or ? with you. Not the way to live but......sometimes living arrangements can't be changed or helped (not right away, anyway).

I have thought about what I'd do IF I had No garage.
I'd still carry the best insurance. At home, I would sandwich my scoot between my house and the front end of my truck then chain them together. I'd place my "grip lock" on the front brake lever to slow things down more. I would place it on center stand, bars locked and Fully cover it (securing it thru grommets).
I would have a motion sensor light high (out of reach) on the house above it. Inside my home it's wall switch would glow red if the sensor light triggered. Yes, I'm aware of false triggering (wind rain snow animals) but whatcha gonna do 'bout that?
Hmm...Maybe call my present household Alarm Company to see if another switch could be wired in? Got to think of possibilites of that one :roll:

Parking elsewhere? Not often but I do and usually it's within eyesight. Also I'm picky about the park spot. Once found Bike goes on center stand w/bars locked. Nothing is visible to grab 'n go = steal. Grip Lock gets fastened to rgt grip and front brake lever. I'm not gone for long. :? Ok, sometimes longer :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (99.61 KiB) Viewed 600 times
Ok, nuff from me. Sadly, Other's have Experience. Let's hear from them....please
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

WhiteNoise , Great informative , honest and intelligent post . Great reading , will take all your advice on board .This has about covered everything . Many Thanks
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Simple motion detector I mounted in 5 min.....this plus cable lock is all I need, insured for new bike cost if stolen. No hacking of harness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734 ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

All securing ideas welcome. Non too small, none to big o_O If they do the job, that's what matters.
Ok smarties go on, show me Fort Knox! :lol: You KNOW I'll Laugh

Another hook-up
A friend (on another forum) swears by this cable alarm:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 600 times
How's it work? After fully covering your bike you unwind the cable off its' housing then weave it through the cover's grommets at the bottom. I would also criss-cross it under the scoots belly. When weaving is completed, the cable tip gets returned to its' home and locks in place. You then set the device on.

You can figure the rest right ;) If someone tries to remove your cover they can't. Hopefully, they walk away. If not, they may reach for cutters. Once the cable is cut it triggers the Alarm uh, I mean Siren :D

Hope to find a link, stay tuned.
Oh, and If I remember correctly, you can buy this unit in different cable lengths (to fit your bikes (sizing) requirements). I need to refresh myself on this baby

Edit: Found! Link offering 5 cable lengths: https://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Security-I ... 1604661365
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Got to laugh , I had one of those head scratching moments yesterday . Took my pcx out and parked at my local retail park , because there was no place to chain up to went to use my disc lock " total fail " . No one told me they have modified the disc , I had a 2011 model and a 10mm locking pin would fit , . The disc now must be different because of the ABS on my 2019 scoot.I just stood there in disbelief looking a bit puzzled . Didn't want to leave it unlocked so rode the 8 mile back home .Had to spend £13 on a new disk lock with a 7mm pin . Should have checked before I went out , Duh . Had a result , sold the 10mm one for £5
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Jge64 wrote:Simple motion detector I mounted in 5 min.....this plus cable lock is all I need, insured for new bike cost if stolen. No hacking of harness.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734 ... UTF8&psc=1
Where did you attach it on your bike? What is the range?

Thanks
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Mounted underneath plastic near headlight.

No idea on the range, somebody tries to move my bike and it goes off, that’s all I care about.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI