Boss Drive Face stuck

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Boss Drive Face stuck

Post by alx123 »

Was doing my regular cleaning and maintenance (every 2k) of the drive parts few days ago when I encountered this weird problem.
bossDF.jpg
bossDF.jpg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 877 times
The boss is stuck and it won't budge. Iv'e tried using pliers and screw drivers to try and remove it but I failed. Scared to damage something, I sprayed it with WD40 and let it sit for 20 minutes before I tried removing it again, successfully this time.

Iv'e never had this problem before, usually it just slide out easily using my hands, so I'm not sure how it happened.

Anyway, my clutch bearings are now starting to make some noise after almost 4 years and 53,000 kms. I tried re-greasing those bearings but it seems that the damage has been done and the noise won't go away anymore. Maybe it's really just time to change the entire clutch set. For now, I'll be riding with a slightly noisy clutch (audible only during idling).
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Boss Drive Face stuck

Post by you you »

Soak it in diesel overnight then use a slide hammer?

Can’t the part remain when you change the clutch?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Maybe it's really just time to change the entire clutch set.
Yup.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I wonder if they are frozen together due to corrosion. It should just slide off, but if it is corroded it may be fusing. Try something that loosens corrosion. Maybe WD-40??

Whatever you use will have to set before it will work it loose, so leave it overnight after spraying it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Mel46 wrote:I wonder if they are frozen together due to corrosion. It should just slide off, but if it is corroded it may be fusing. Try something that loosens corrosion. Maybe WD-40??

Whatever you use will have to set before it will work it loose, so leave it overnight after spraying it.
Yeah, I was able to remove it after soaking it for 20 mins with WD40. Also, cleaned the entire area to remove any chemicals or dirt that caused the problem.

I'm not sure if I'm supposed, but I did put a little grease on the shaft before I insert the boss and the bowl back.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

you you wrote:Soak it in diesel overnight then use a slide hammer?

Can’t the part remain when you change the clutch?
I cleaned both the clutch and the variator, so I actually need to remove all the parts.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Just a mention on the clutch bearings.......Bought my PCX with around 2300 miles [with the bearing issue]
50,000 + miles later, replaced it. Not recommending you wait, but as you noted, its quiet/not an issue, while
under way. Always parked my PCX on the center stand [once home] and spun[tested] the rear wheel to
check any changes....stayed same for the duration. Just saying....... nice/quiet now though. Thanks for
mentioning the boss problem.......glad you solved it. Might help one of us down the road,
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One other possibility that I thought may make it stick is if the engine was hot . . . or you were running the engine to watch the CVT system work with the cover off before doing any work on it. Note that I didn't have my PCX long enough to have to deal with the CVT or belt replacement or anything like that . . . just routine oil changes and oil pump screen cleanings (plus added gear oil to final drive). So I am guessing here.

Heat causes expansion and cold causes contraction.

You said you added WD40 and let it sit for about 20 minutes and then it came off OK. That would have been enough time for it to cool down a bit.

Again, just guessing. :roll: