Is this battery tender safe to use on my PCX150?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

NewToMe

Is this battery tender safe to use on my PCX150?

Post by NewToMe »

I'm going to be away from my PCX150 for 3 weeks and I was told I should buy a battery tender to keep the battery alive while I'm away. I found this tender at CycleGear but noticed it says 800mA instead of 750mA like on their website. Is it still safe to use? The battery has never been replaced before and it's a 2016. Thanks in advance.

Link: https://www.batterytender.com/Battery-T ... -Charger_7
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: Is this battery tender safe to use on my PCX150?

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Three weeks is not long enough to worry about charging the battery. If it was over a month and a half, then maybe... but not three weeks.

I have a 4.99$ float charger from harbor freight. Works well. Either of them will work, just don't overcharge the battery.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Ditto ^^ 3 weeks not enough to worry about - however, I use that same charger so it is OK. :)
NewToMe

Post by NewToMe »

Would it be dangerous to leave it plugged in just incase? I'm new to owning a scooter and want to take as best care of it as I possibly can.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

I leave a spare battery on mine permanently, just so I have a charged spare. Never needed it yet - I have been on month long vacations and the bike starts right up every time. Your choice, but if it were me I'd just leave it - batteries shouldn't discharge over such a short time period
NewToMe

Post by NewToMe »

I just tested the tender to see if it works. I'm assuming the green flashing light means the battery's fully charged already?
I also noticed there's an option to select Lithium or Lead Acid. I opened the battery door and saw that the scooter's using a GS Yuasa GTZV8 battery, is it a lead acid or lithium battery?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

NewToMe wrote:Would it be dangerous to leave it plugged in just incase? I'm new to owning a scooter and want to take as best care of it as I possibly can.
Tenders do not overcharge. Think of a tender as a maintenance device. It keeps the battery at a healthy Voltage level.

You can leave it plugged in for years... I have my scooter battery on a tender for like 2 years so far. But like mentioned able, for 3 weeks you dont have to worry about anything.

I went 3 months without riding my scooter no starts with no issues.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator