How often do you have flat tires?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

How often do you have flat tires?

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

And when you do, how do you take care of it?
Anyone carrying a tire repair kit with them?
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: How often do you have flat tires?

Post by khaosaming »

Never, since I got tubeless tyres on all my bikes that I use regularly. Before, I used to have flat tyres on my Vespa PX 200, but this scooter had a spare wheel. I changed the rear wheel on the road maybe some three or four times.

You should carry a tyre repair bottle with you all the time if you have tubeless tyres. On tube-type tyres it's useless.

Here in Thailand there are tyre repair shops allmost everywhere on the main roads. They are called "Pa Yang". I wouldn't let them service my PCX, though. They know how to work on Honda Waves and the like, where it's easy to remove the rear wheel. Honda Wave has an inner tube.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So infrequently that I don't really worry about it
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Thanks for replies. Can you define "infrequently"? Is once a month or once a year infrequently? Or maybe no flats in 2+ years?

I had one in 2 yrs but it gave me some real hassle as I was some 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and my cheap repair kit was useless (multiple issues with it). I had a tubeless worn out tire.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Had a slow puncture on the rear once. fortunately the tread was almost done so it was time for a new tyre anyway. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:Thanks for replies. Can you define "infrequently"? Is once a month or once a year infrequently? Or maybe no flats in 2+ years?

I had one in 2 yrs but it gave me some real hassle as I was some 100 miles from home in the middle of nowhere and my cheap repair kit was useless (multiple issues with it). I had a tubeless worn out tire.
Tubeless tyres deflate slowly so I've only ever had one total flat whilst I've been using them (15 to 20 years)

A few nail/screws in tyre, usual when the tyres are brand new. All have been usable enough to limp home with caution using garage airlines on the way

So maybe half a dozen punctures in 35 years

Carry a pocket co2 repair kit and sleep easy?
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

3 or 4 in 2 years but this was with the gixer and i have to ride on the surface to filter around.

none with the PCX so far, I have a Honda care thing so they'll tow it if i breakdown. If you repair the tyre on the road, doesnt this repair only last for the journey to change the tyre for a new one?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I've had a slow puncture on the PCX, patched it with a plug. I always keep a cheap plug kit and a CO2 inflator on me on long trips, just in case.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes