Givi Monokey vs. Monolock on PCX 150 luggage rack

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Givi Monokey vs. Monolock on PCX 150 luggage rack

Post by former50cc »

The weight rating on the Monolock seems too low for my grocery shopping. I will soon own a PCX 150 after years of unsatisfactory ownership of a TNG 50 cc scooter. What I have been in the habit of doing is loading up my crappy topcase that came with my TNG full to capacity with groceries, including a gallon of milk and much more. I'm sure my average grocery load is in the neighborhood of 15lbs in TNG topcase and about the same under the seat. Way more than the 6.6 lbs. of the supposed weight rating of a Givi Monolock.
A few questions:

Should I get a Monokey case because of my frequent heavy grocery loads?

Does the Givi Monokey line mount to the beautiful new style Honda PCX 150 luggage rack, or am I forced to go with the 2-piece Givi mount?

In many ways I like the design of the new PCX 150 luggage rack. It looks like it would be a far better option if I ever had to totally remove a top case and its base plate and use a bungee system to strap on over sized items ( rare, I know ).
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Givi Monokey vs. Monolock on PCX 150 luggage rack

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi and welcome :) A picture of the rack you are referring to would be appreciated. Long time coming (in the states) and I would prefer it over a top box myself. BUT......it's gotta have class 8) The PCX has "class" 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I may have used the wrong term when I wrote about the PCX 150 luggage rack. What I was referring to is, I think, the "Rear Trunk Base 08L70-KZY-910" as listed on Honda's website as a required accessory for for mounting Honda's own top case. PCX Commuter did a wonderful How-to post describing the installation of the "Rear Trunk Base 08L70-KZY-910" to which he attached a Monolock trunk. Check out the installation at http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=947. Thank you, PCX Commuter, for the great pictures and the great How-to.
Here is a picture that PCX Commuter used in the installation:Image
Here is his picture showing the rear trunk base installed: Image
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

I always ignore recommended max weights, they're always lower than whats possible just to cover warranty and the like, having said that I usually put heavy items (milk etc) under the seat or in a rucksack and fill the topbox up with lighter items.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The Monolock will likely hold up -- I'd bet it's a lot sturdier than the one on your TNG. I've had a topcase loaded with textbooks fail, but it was a chinsy one, and had at least 30lbs in it.

I'm unsure if the Monokey will offer you much more durability -- the base and mounts will likely be your point of failure if drastically overloaded.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Thanks
Because the new metal "Rear Trunk Base 08L70-KZY-910" appears so strong, it would seem at least Honda now has provided the sturdy metal structure upon which to mount plastic trunks. I'm thinking that probably 10kg would be a safe load with this new Honda OEM metal Trunk Base as the foundation. Since PCX Commuter's experience demonstrates the strength of the new metal Trunk Base, I would feel confident going up at least to that 10kg range.