Wave retraction

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

redhandmoto

Wave retraction

Post by redhandmoto »

Happened again.

The PCX, viewed frontwise, has a silhouette with a sort of generic sports bike, crotch-rockety look, n'cest pas?

So, whilst whipping along a busy highway at 55ish, we must have appeared at the crown of a hill quite suddenly to a true rocketeer going the other way, who at once extended his left hand palm-down in the Brothahood of Motorcyclists Solidarity Wave for half a beat only, then immediately retracted said gesture, ebbed his wave, so to speak, by rebounding his fist to his chest in a clear 'I-take-it-back!' message.

Damnable scooter-poseurs, masquerading as Ninjas...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Wave retraction

Post by Mel46 »

You must have some very unfriendly bikers there. We almost always get the wave. We have a full windscreen and a tail box but those shouldn't make any difference to a biker passing by. What I have noticed is that the scooters that look like a Vespa don't get any waves. We even had a guy on a rice rocket stop one day and ask us about our bikes. He was surprised to learn that they are scooters. He was also impressed that they don't have a problem keeping up with traffic.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

redhandmoto wrote:Happened again.

The PCX, viewed frontwise, has a silhouette with a sort of generic sports bike, crotch-rockety look, n'cest pas?

So, whilst whipping along a busy highway at 55ish, we must have appeared at the crown of a hill quite suddenly to a true rocketeer going the other way, who at once extended his left hand palm-down in the Brothahood of Motorcyclists Solidarity Wave for half a beat only, then immediately retracted said gesture, ebbed his wave, so to speak, by rebounding his fist to his chest in a clear 'I-take-it-back!' message.

Damnable scooter-poseurs, masquerading as Ninjas...

Hey Mel, we have plenty of unfriendly bikers here too. In fact, living here in the heart of "Harley Country" presents it's own set of encounters.

When waiting at a traffic light if there is a Harley rider(s) across the intersection, I get scowls, sneers and the like.
I give it all right back to them, but unfortunately they cannot see any of that under my full-face helmet.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Here in the Seattle area of Washington state I get all positive reactions. Lots of waves and a few nods of the head. No biker has shown any disrespect where I live.
I never got any wave when I used to ride my old 50cc that looked like a Vespa, just apparent pity.
Now total respect.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

former50cc wrote:Here in the Seattle area of Washington state I get all positive reactions. Lots of waves and a few nods of the head. No biker has shown any disrespect where I live.
I never got any wave when I used to ride my old 50cc that looked like a Vespa, just apparent pity.
Now total respect.
I used to live in Seattle for almost 10 years. I miss it. And I know what you mean. There is a sense of individualism out there that is almost foreign here in the midwest. :cry:
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

Oh, hatin's not universal by any means - I regularly get waved by Harlists (Harlots?) when exercising my wife's Vino Classic, and Harley guys frequently ask about the top end and mileage (and are always astounded) of the PCX. Think it may be just a sports bike thang...scooterists, oddly enough, almost never wave.

What about Britannia & mainline Europa? PTWs too commonplace? Is waving a US thing (where scoots are a niche within a niche)?
ben
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ben »

In the UK i get nods back from most bikes but almost never from fellow scooters...even the other pcx riders i see. I think its that most scooter riders feel they don't belong so often dont look for the nod.

Try walking down the street on foot and nod at someone on a bike and i almost guarantee you they will nod back, with most its not what your riding just that your in the club! :)
BattlebornScooterist

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

Here in the state of Nevada we have our share of Harley folk who don't wave, but mostly I get the wave returned, even from a few "real" bikes.

The one thing I had pointed out to me when I was discussing the scooter riders who don't wave back was this:

Not ALL scooter riders are on scooters because they want to be. Some have had DUI issues or similar and the scoot is just transport, not fun.

Still though, I always wave at a scooterist, just because I can't contain how much fun I have when riding. 8)
Curators do it Historically!