PCX or fly 150? MP3?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

BattlebornScooterist

PCX or fly 150? MP3?

Post by BattlebornScooterist »

Ok guys, the money is gathering and I have come down to this.

I could get a slightly used Piaggio MP3-250, OR a Fly 150 or the PCX for all about the same money. [@4000.00]

HELP!

Now, the Mp3 has some known issues but for the same money I'd be getting another 100cc.

I sat on the fly 150 [after sitting on a TINY little buddy 170] and it fit me I think a bit better then the MP3 did. [6 foot, 270 lbs, 32 inseam]

I need some assistance folks! Help me make this choice so I can get back to two [or 3?] wheels!
Curators do it Historically!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX or fly 150? MP3?

Post by gn2 »

Depends what you want.
The Fly has very low service requirements, the mp3 is a maintenance nightmare.
Given that you're in the USA your options are limited but at the moment I wouldn't recommend any of that three.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Reading just a little about the Fly and the Mp, the fly I think would be underpowered for you at 124cc. The Mp is a three wheel, much better power. The pcx is my pick, but thats just my opinion.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

PCX of course.
Scootin'

Post by Scootin' »

I'm 236 lbs 6' & the pcx is a great urban choice. Even up these Mts in Ky. it still pulls up to 45 mph on the steep climbs. 68 mph on the flat stuff. Can haul a good amount of gear under the seat too. Get the Puig windscreen for better air control. Love this machine. 92 mpg don't hurt nothing either.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you are talking about the PCX 150 and not the PCX 125, I would say that you will be very happy with the PCX.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

PCX150............... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Been there done that with the MP3 (250) myself. gn2 is right, you want to spend your time Enjoying the ride Not maintaining it. Be sure to consider the difficulty in getting parts and then finding a reputable Piaggio dealer to do the repair(s). The MP3 rides like a dream and the braking of 3 is a big plus. The seating is wider and higher, it also weighs in close to 450ish lbs. That weight can be a bitch to hold up when it wants to take its low speed fall. if your front wheels aren't straight, aligned And on even ground this dropping occurs. Sounds strange, but is common among MP3 riders especially as newbies to "the beast." There is a lot of good to be read and the bad over at the Modern Vespa Forum. There you will also find the MP3 board. Many answers to any questions you may have.
My take is the PCX 150 or perhaps wait for the Forza 300 coming soon at your local Honda dealer 8) with a cost near or under that of the MP3 250? Look whatcha made me do....Now I just gave you another scoot to ponder about :D Don't be mad :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

WhiteNoise wrote:Been there done that with the MP3 (250) myself. gn2 is right, you want to spend your time Enjoying the ride Not maintaining it. Be sure to consider the difficulty in getting parts and then finding a reputable Piaggio dealer to do the repair(s). The MP3 rides like a dream and the braking of 3 is a big plus. The seating is wider and higher, it also weighs in close to 450ish lbs. That weight can be a bitch to hold up when it wants to take its low speed fall. if your front wheels aren't straight, aligned And on even ground this dropping occurs. Sounds strange, but is common among MP3 riders especially as newbies to "the beast." There is a lot of good to be read and the bad over at the Modern Vespa Forum. There you will also find the MP3 board. Many answers to any questions you may have.
My take is the PCX 150 or perhaps wait for the Forza 300 coming soon at your local Honda dealer 8) with a cost near or under that of the MP3 250? Look whatcha made me do....Now I just gave you another scoot to ponder about :D Don't be mad :lol:

....... :lol:
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Carpathian hawk

Post by Carpathian hawk »

I vote for a japan scooter for technical considerations. Italians are very beautiful stylish, but aren't very reliable. The fiability is not so strong as japan brands.

So PCX I think is a good option.
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX150 red, 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 red.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You are on a PCX forum, everyone is going to say PCX. ;)

I'd get a used PCX 150 instead of a new one, and save yourself $1000+. Like-new PCXes can be found relatively easily with only 100-500 miles at over $1000 off MSRP.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
BattlebornScooterist

Of course I know of the forum name! I ask here because you folks are in the know and have been there and done that. Thanks to whitenoise and maddiedog and everyone else who has chimed in so far.

As I have dug around I have come to the same overall conclusion, plus I just can't justify the complicated front end of the Mp3, clever though it may be.

I DO have a local sale of a Piaaggio BV 250 for only 2700 that I may scope out, but the PCX has won out methinks.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The BV250 is a great bike, a guy I ride with upgraded to a 300 after putting 25k trouble-free miles on his BV250.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
BattlebornScooterist

2400 miles on it, I will be checking it out tomorrow and I will report on my findings.

It has to be a good fit. If it fits me better then the PCX then I will have another dilemma.
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

I researched the heck out of scooters before zeroing in on the PCX. Fuel injection, water cooled, 14" wheels, and Honda reliability. Of course, on a PCX forum you'd expect us to tell you how good this scoot is... but, it is surprisingly good. I have been riding for 45 years - everything from BMW sport tourers to H-D cruisers and dressers to a dual purpose V-Strom. I didn't expect to actually enjoy a scooter (it was my wife's idea). After riding one, I can't believe I enjoy it so much!

Some saddle time will tell... but, the PCX is impressive. Good luck with the decisions.

Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I too have ridden all sorts of bikes in my lifetime. These are the first scooters either of us have ridden, and CaptnJim is right. These things are fun. Though I ride my Burgman more than the PCX, when my wife lets me ride her PCX it is a joy and surprise. It is so simple and balanced as apposed to my Burgman, but I bought the Burgman because I wanted a big bike that could travel comfortably . The PCX 150 had not been introduced when I purchased it or we would have 2 of those now. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

BattlebornScooterist

Guys, I hear and understand, and I want a PCX for all those same reasons- Don't get me wrong.

However, since the wife and I barely qualify for "lower middle class" I am going to jump at the BV-250. $2500 vs $4000 -easy choice

It fit me great, has been dealer maintained, and hardly used. And it's half the money I would spend on a PCX 150.

2500 bucks goes a long way in this house right now.

So now I get to wait until the Forza hits, then grab a PCX 150 for a much better price then I can get right now.

Best of both worlds.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

My wife and I just came back this evening from a 100 + mile round robin. She was on her 2013 Honda PCX 150, and I was on my 2006 Burgman 400. We stayed between 65 and 70 the entire trip, just to determine 2 things. 1) what was the max speed her little PCX could go for any extended time, and 2) how well could my 400 handle freeway speeds. The answer to the 1st question is 65-70 with a top end of 72 mph. NOT BAD for a 150! Thanks Honda!. The answer to the 2nd question is it handles quite well at those speeds. I was VERY impressed. I think, possibly because the weight all seems to be low on the chassis, that it held up better than some bikes I have owned that have been larger than it. I have a Givi windscreen on it also and a large Givi tailbox, but neither one caused me any problems. There were quite a few trucks on the road and many, many HD bikes, and it just kept on going. I held it down to 70 because I didn't want to leave my wife behind, and because i was quite happy with 65 and 70 mph. By they way, we checked the speeds with other vehicles and we were right in the middle of the cars, not lagging in any way. Yes, we had people pass us, but most of the time we were right in the middle of the cars as they passed other cars and kept up a fast pace. Knowing that the little Honda is limited to 72 by the manufacturer, and hearing that bikes all have an optimistic speedometer, we expected the Honda to read higher than the set speed, but it maxed out right at 72 and held it right there. We talked to some people when we stopped to eat lunch and found out that our speeds were what they were reading also. So, is everybody off or are our bikes unique? I don't know, but I do know that I had plenty of juice left at that speed because I was following my wife, sort of 'Herding' her and had to be careful with my speed when we hit an air pocket that slowed her down while mine just wanted to keep going. Still, her little scooter can hold its own on the freeway. That is something to think about, and no it was not being blown off of the road, though it doesn't like big trucks...but who does??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

BattlebornScooterist

Thanks for the story!

I like these sorts of details and you guys are the reason I am really enjoying this site.

I just need to wait for my chance to make the PCX 150 my own! It will come.

Meantime I will post pics of things on my end this week.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

BattlebornScooterist wrote:So now I get to wait until the Forza hits, then grab a PCX 150 for a much better price then I can get right now.
The Forza may not have any impact on the PCX price, its a very different product.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong