Service Intervals Short?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ddienes

Service Intervals Short?

Post by ddienes »

Hi,

Are the service intervals normal for a scooter? The book for the PCX 150 recommends a service at 1000 KMs then at 4000 KMs then every 4000 KMs afterward.

Honda told me that it is a two hour service costing $240 each time it's serviced. This seems expensive to me.

Is this what you are paying? Is it a bit excessive to service this regularly?

Kind regards,
David
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Service Intervals Short?

Post by iceman »

Hi David,
I'm still considering what bike to go for - PCX125 (UK), or SH125i (flat floor-bed and more powerful than a PCX) or even a Vision 110 for small distance commutes (to be honest, very quick acceleration to 35mph), recently a main dealer quoted me these figures:

PCX125 (SH125-abs/Vision110 only a few £ less over 2 years)

First Service (600 miles) £71.75
Second Service (2500 miles or 6 months) £110.00
Third Service (5000 miles or 6 months) £118.00
Fourth Service (7500 miles or 6 months) £125.00
Fifth Service (10000 miles or 6 months) £118.00
Sixth Service (12500 or 6 months) £130.00
Seventh Service (15000 miles or 6 months) £245.00

That's nearly £1000 over 2 years! (esp. bad when it's almost the same service costs for the Vision which only costs £1800-1900 new).

No wonder some people have the first 1 or 2 services done then do their own. You take a chance with major breakdowns and negating the warranty if you miss a service, but when it costs almost half the purchase price again within 2 years, that takes the PCX from £2600 otr to £3600 (or more if prices rise over that period). Probably be cheaper to pay for a major repair than keep the service up with a dealer.

Steve
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

ddienes wrote:Hi,

Are the service intervals normal for a scooter?
Yes, normal for a small scooter and also for Taiwan/Korea made scooters, Sym, Kymco Daelim, TGB etc.
Bigger Hondas have much longer intervals.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

What some of us have done, is follow the service interval for everything but engine oil change and valves.

Decrease the oil change interval by at least half. And increase the valve check by almost triple.

Check the valves on schedule for the first 2 times. Then, they usually won't move for a very long time.

And yes, if you can do the service yourself, you will save a lot. There are step by step guides for both services here. I know you across the pond people have strict warranty guides to follow. So don't blow a warranty.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

Are the service intervals normal for a scooter?
Yes, normal for a small scooter and also for Taiwan/Korea made scooters, Sym, Kymco Daelim, TGB etc.
Bigger Hondas have much longer intervals.

Like Forzas?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes.
8000 miles much better than 2500
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Yes.
8000 miles much better than 2500

I'll nip out and buy one right now.
cfrobw
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cfrobw »

My former Elite 80 79cc required an oil change and service every 1000 miles, my Elite 110 109cc shocked me that it only required service every 5000 miles. The PCX 150 shocked me at needing service every 2500 miles. I would have thought it would have been more based on the Elite 110. It costa so much more to service this bike because so much plastic stuff has to be removed to access the engine to check the valves ect.
I think they are just trying to give their employees work.
Here is a video of how to check the valves. the majority of the work is removing stuff to access everything. Then after you finished you have to put it all back together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B5fEOb6 ... r_embedded
-Rob

Currently own: 2013 PCX 150
Previously owned: 1987 Honda Elite 80, 1993 Honda Elite 80, 2008 Honda Elite 80, 2010 Honda Elite 110
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Don't remove the seat, remove the battery door and disconnect the negative cable and the battery retaining strap, remove the under seat storage bin carefully with the seat attached, complete valve adjustment. This will take you all of 10 minutes to remove then com plata your service. It's very simple. Also use your spark plug access hole to center the cam and complete your exhaust valve adjustment. It helps.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Don't remove the seat, remove the battery door and disconnect the negative cable and the battery retaining strap, remove the under seat storage bin carefully with the seat attached, complete valve adjustment. This will take you all of 10 minutes to remove then com plata your service. It's very simple. Also use your spark plug access hole to center the cam and complete your exhaust valve adjustment. It helps.
<is this for the PCX? Just checking as it seems so simple compared to the usual method(s).
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Don't remove the seat, remove the battery door and disconnect the negative cable and the battery retaining strap, remove the under seat storage bin carefully with the seat attached, complete valve adjustment. This will take you all of 10 minutes to remove then com plata your service. It's very simple. Also use your spark plug access hole to center the cam and complete your exhaust valve adjustment. It helps.

Please prove this procedure with video or explain how this method does not require the tear down as stated in the Honda service manual.

Thank you.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'll make a video. I described this on a previous thread. It provides tight clearance to do the adjustment. It is only four more screws and two bolts to remove the rear plastics and tail light. It's a preference thing to remove the battery and battery box and the side fairings. But in general it provides enough space to get the job done. It's only an hour job to adjust valves from start to finish.

Again I will make a video in the next few days.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I'll make a video. I described this on a previous thread. It provides tight clearance to do the adjustment. It is only four more screws and two bolts to remove the rear plastics and tail light. It's a preference thing to remove the battery and battery box and the side fairings. But in general it provides enough space to get the job done. It's only an hour job to adjust valves from start to finish.
Thankyou! I always wondered if the Honda service people had a simpler way of doing this, as per your post. One reason why I liked the new SH125 which used the same engine, as it must be much simpler to gain access than the PCX plastics.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

It takes maybe an extra 5 minutes to remove the rear plastics. The folks at Honda just do enough maintenance that it takes them no time at all to take all the plastics off. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mgalutia88 wrote:I'll make a video. I described this on a previous thread. It provides tight clearance to do the adjustment. It is only four more screws and two bolts to remove the rear plastics and tail light. It's a preference thing to remove the battery and battery box and the side fairings. But in general it provides enough space to get the job done. It's only an hour job to adjust valves from start to finish.
Hi. Did you get around to making the video?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Hi. Did you get around to making the video?

Bump
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

4 months later.... he's still doing the valve check :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no such short cut, its a 14 step procedure per the manual but maybe he was speaking about a different scooters valve clearance adjustment.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

k2, member Mgalutia88 sold his PCX awhile ago and moved on to another bike.
If you scroll down this page you'll find his advice/suggestion on getting at the valves. I did not find a video by him. I'm not sure he accomplished that b4 leaving. Hope his help will help you :P
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... adjustment
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Are the service intervals normal for a scooter? The book for the PCX 150 recommends a service at 1000 KMs then at 4000 KMs then every 4000 KMs afterward.

Honda told me that it is a two hour service costing $240 each time it's serviced. This seems expensive to me.

Is this what you are paying? Is it a bit excessive to service this regularly?

Kind regards,
David
I Bought a Honda Vision 110, last July,brilliant little scooter.Was 2 years old,4500 miles on it,now 8200 miles up.Do use it though,just change the oil.Does it,s job.would I buy another one..??? Oh Yes.The sh 125i was more money.Bit it is better .