Rear tire size

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyangler

Rear tire size

Post by flyangler »

Has anyone tried to fit an 150/70/13 to the their scooter? It looks like it might fit but would like to get confirmation .
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Rear tire size

Post by AustinPCX »

That's what I had to use on the rear wheel after not being able to locate a 140/70-13 here in the US.
flyangler

Post by flyangler »

Thank you Austin pcx, I'll assume you've had no problems and order my tires .
Okie scoot

Post by Okie scoot »

The 150 or 130/70-13 seems to be the closest to the stock size. If you would like to compare sizes try this website http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php
2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2008 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had no problem finding the correct tire on the internet. It is around $51 and free shipping. I have ordered 3 of them over time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Mel46 wrote:I have had no problem finding the correct tire on the internet. It is around $51 and free shipping. I have ordered 3 of them over time.
Mel, you have a link for the 140/70-13 for a Forza? The link you sent me a few days ago didn't have that size.

Lots of places sell PCX tires but the Forza 140/70-13 is as rare as unicorn tears here in the US.

The 150/70-13 Metzeler Feelfree appears to be a very good quality tire and is working great, but it's only been about 100 miles so far.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The only two tyres made in 140/70-13 are the Dunlop Scootsmart and the Bridgestone Hoop.
The Forza is the only scooter to use this size I believe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

My local shop said the 150/70-13 was ok and they would mount it. That is the Silverwing tire and there are several choices.
I was surprised at the shop willingness to do this as they are anti mods on most tires/accessories.
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: https://postimg.cc/gallery/Y9JWhsg
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If that's for an ABS Forza you might want to think about the implications for the ABS system?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

I called Honda support in Torrance, Ca (USA), they said there should be no problem with the ABS using the 150/70-13 vs the 140/70-13.
BUT
They will strongly advise against using the tire due to the fitment design because any tire of different size WILL change the dynamics of the vehicle
in the event of tire deflation which MAY create a hazardous condition. He stated Honda does not test alternate configurations, so the results are unknown.
He also recommended only getting the tires through the dealer and not from 3rd party suppliers.

(The rep stressed the words I've highlighted, and this was a verbal conversation as there was no email/webmail contact. He repeated the warning twice.)

Edit: There may also be legal issues in some areas by country, state, or city with tire modifications.
Larry

AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I too checked with several tire dealers and was told that the 150 would be ok.

Not sure we here in the US have a choice. The 140/70-13 is nowhere to be found here and I couldn't find a dealer out of the country that has that size that ships to the US.

Doubt the possible implications for ABS is worse than riding on a bald tire, with or without ABS.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

I asked him about the availability and he said MSRP was $82 and the dealer could get it through Honda in a couple days as they are available. Dealer could adjust the price as they desired.
Even though it wasn't said, it seems (to me) implied that we should only buy OEM tires and should buy them through Honda dealers.
Larry

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... wingarm-ac

Plenty other Honda parts suppliers should be able to get them for you.
Okie scoot

Post by Okie scoot »

[quote=
They will strongly advise against using the tire due to the fitment design because any tire of different size WILL change the dynamics of the vehicle
[/quote]
I can't believe honda could say that without laughing. Putting a 150 on the back will not change the dynamics of your bike. Half the guys I know run car tires on the back of there Vulcans (dark side) talk about changing the dynamics. Kawasaki does the same thing as honda. They put weird sizes on the front and back. So when you need a replacement you have to change size. Does kawasaki approve this..... No they tell you your crazy and going to die. So buy the best tire you can get like Michelin and don't worry......your not going to die
2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2008 Kawasaki Nomad 1600
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Any manufacturer rep will not recommend a non standard tyre size unless sanctioned by the factory due to type approval laws. It's also so they don't get sued if the the sh1t hits the fan.
I send Mercedes Benz trend reports to the factory reps and you have to be very careful what and what not to put in them as they can be used in a law court if any liability cases occur. They are statements of fact and should not be used for personal opinions.
They Honda rep is only covering his/her back.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

gn2 wrote:http://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemparts ... wingarm-ac

Plenty other Honda parts suppliers should be able to get them for you.
Thanks for the link!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I didn't realize that you were talking about a Forza instead of a PCX. It looks to me like that size of tire is not sold in the United States. However, I did find this link that is probably in Europe that may have them, if this helps.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/category/404853
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Thanks Mel, I figure I'm good now for the next 6-7 months. By that time I'm sure there will be more options for those of us in the States. I paid $60 for the Metzeler Feelfree at my local scooter shop. Always nice when you can support the local shop and still get a good deal.

So far the tire feels better than I ever remember the original feeling. Wasn't too impressed with only getting 5400 miles out of the original, given my particular riding conditions.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

Okie scoot wrote: I can't believe honda could say that without laughing. Putting a 150 on the back will not change the dynamics of your bike. Half the guys I know run car tires on the back of there Vulcans (dark side) talk about changing the dynamics. Kawasaki does the same thing as honda. They put weird sizes on the front and back. So when you need a replacement you have to change size. Does kawasaki approve this..... No they tell you your crazy and going to die. So buy the best tire you can get like Michelin and don't worry......your not going to die
Okie,
You left a qualifying portion off the quote about in the event of tire failure.
I'm a DS rider also, but all of this is off topic. We can start another thread to address this topic as I just received, but not yet mounted, a 145/70-13 Nexen.
Assuming the OP was considering the Silverwing tire due to availability issues, Honda claims you can order through the dealer.
If the OP wanted to know just so he has options, then austinpcx has given the answer, unless someone has contrary information.
Larry