Knocking sound

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Knocking sound

Post by binje »

Hello PCX peoples...

I live in the UK and have a 2011 PCXy which I love (the wife says I love it more than her... jury's still out! :D )

I had the good fortune of having 2 weeks off in which time I didnt get any time to ride. I did take it out one day to my friend's place (about 40 miles each way) so we could do an oil change, clean the oil filter and change the air filter. After that we installed some leg guards on his Yamaha FJR 1300 and then went for a quick blast on his bike.. and blast is the word... man that bike FLIES... Awesome bike but a bit too big for my 5'7 frame so probably not something I would ever buy....

Apologies I went off topic there a bit... So yes We did the quick service bits and that was it. I rode back and didnt notice anything untoward. The bike was not used again for a week. As of yesterday I am back at work :cry:

Since yesterday I have noticed a slight knocking sound coming from the bike between 25-30mph on brisk accceleration. It doesnt occur on slow acceleration or really caning it but only at a very specific rate of acceleration on that little bit of the rev range. At the risk of ridicule, it sounds kinda like bongo drums (thats the best description my silly old brain can come up with). Its not loud but it is just about noticeable.

Is this something anyone has experienced before? I had a look on the forums but cant see anything... help please :|
2011 Honda PCX 125
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Knocking sound

Post by kramnala58 »

binje wrote:Since yesterday I have noticed a slight knocking sound .... Is this something anyone has experienced before?
Yes, I started to walk and jog again to lose a bit of weight before my daughter's wedding (gotta look good for the father/daughter dance) and I am hearing all sorts of knocking .... I think it is an age thing and a lack of exercise for long periods of time. ;) ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza
Color: Red

Post by stryder123 »

My PCX150 Has always had a light knock. Sounds like engine ping on a car when you use a gas that too low octane. Dealer said it was a normal sound. Got 4000 miles on it so I guess it is ok.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

All vehicles get a little bit of spark nock BUT it's most likely just your rollers bouncing around in light acceleration.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

kramnala58 wrote:
binje wrote:Since yesterday I have noticed a slight knocking sound .... Is this something anyone has experienced before?
Yes, I started to walk and jog again to lose a bit of weight before my daughter's wedding (gotta look good for the father/daughter dance) and I am hearing all sorts of knocking .... I think it is an age thing and a lack of exercise for long periods of time. ;) ;)
LOL... If you have gone this long without knocking noises and my PCX has started after only 3 years, I would say you are doing much better than my scoot :D

Wow...congrats on the daughter's wedding... Mine are way too young so weddings are still a long way off... Thing is I still worry about that.... guess its part of being a dad...
Mgalutia88 wrote:All vehicles get a little bit of spark nock BUT it's most likely just your rollers bouncing around in light acceleration.
stryder123 wrote:My PCX150 Has always had a light knock. Sounds like engine ping on a car when you use a gas that too low octane. Dealer said it was a normal sound. Got 4000 miles on it so I guess it is ok.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease... I was worried it was something I was doing (or not doing). Having said that the noise seems to have subsided now. The PCX is on 13700 miles now so when in a few months time I take it in for a belt change, I shall ask the guys there.

Thanks again for the comments :)
2011 Honda PCX 125