Newb, hi there, glad to have found you guys

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Newb, hi there, glad to have found you guys

Post by kcpcx »

Bit the bullet on a 2013 PCX150 today in red. I was going to wait for the 2015, but there would have been roughly an $800 price difference, and in the end I decided that although the upgrades are highly desirable, they aren't quite worth nearly a grand to me. Also, I really wanted red since my first 2 wheeled vehicle I owned when I was a lot younger was a candy apple red 1984 Honda Aero 80, and the PCX in red would be kind of a flash-back to where my motorcycling days began 30 years ago.

Yeah, I know, I should have waited for the 15, but it was easier to get my brain around the idea of a $3k scooter I don't absolutely need versus 4 grand.

Scoot will be picked up tomorrow. I guess it was still in a crate and had to be assembled.

Anyway, glad I found this forum and I look forward to being a sponge and absorbing some good info here.

By the way, the fruits of me calling around all afternoon for pricing and availability, in case it helps anyone else out who is currently in the market:

There seem to be a lot of black PCX (2013) out there from all my calling around trying to find a red one. I called a lot of stores and black '13s were left everywhere, but only a couple in red. My father purchased a black '13 today as well, in central Pennsylvania, for $2600 out the door. Most dealers near me would not match that, but one would have on a black one about a hundred miles from me. In the end, it was worth a couple hundred bucks more to get the color I wanted, and not to have to drive my gas hog pickup truck 200 miles round trip (plus my wasted time) to save that amount of coin. But if you're not picky on color, and you are willing to travel, $2600 out the door (excluding taxes, this number is bike and all dealer fees, not state taxes) is attainable and seems pretty aggressive to me on a brand new '13.

Most dealers in the Kansas City and surrounding area were hitting me at around $3200-3300 out the door excluding sales tax. Here in Missouri, you pay sales tax at the time of registration, not at the time of sale at the dealer. One guy hit me at $2900, and one pretty far away at $2600 as I mentioned above. I was offered $3900 including fees but not sales tax at one store for a '15 in white.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Newb, hi there, glad to have found you guys

Post by SECoda »

Welcome on board! I am pretty new as well.

That's very nearly my story except south of St. Louis and I am sticking to it. :o Even the price differential was about the same after I got done gnawing on them for both bikes. I also found I could save a hundred more on the black 2013. The only difference is I wanted a red one and especially after looking at the shiny black 2015 in person (I might have considered the white one more once I saw they were really pearl and not white) and test rode both (no difference driving). You made the right decision IMO. It's not worth the difference and the visibility at night on the 2015 is down a bit but you can add reflector tape. Adding a power connector from the battery via a Battery Tender adapter was the only thing I wanted on the 2013 that the 2015 has. Both seats are uncomfortable over time so I ordered a proven comfy one from Wetbike. Two hours on that thing is more than long enough so gas capacity is not an issue. Engine/CVT are the same. I do like the integrated lights.

I have some stuff (red anodized brake levers, red rear foot rests, red key plate, etc. ) coming that I would have ordered on either from Asia besides a softer seat. I added a Givi windshield already too and a $16 clock.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Thanks! You're just down the road from me a few hours, well at least by car. I'm in suburban Kansas City. Small world.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I actually also found several 2013s for $2600 if I wanted to ship them but that is about $250 and they might get damaged, etc. I also considered a Forza until I found out how big/heavy it is since I haul mine for camping occasionally on a carrier.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Do you remember specifically which seat you ordered? I have a feeling that might be on my agenda.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

NOIWATDAN are common. They had one on a PCX being serviced at my dealer. I thought it looked better in person than in the picture. I did not test storage clearance for a helmet under the seat but I think it should be fine. It sacrifices a bit of the rear seat space for the front comfort.

http://japan.webike.net/products/21225221.html
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome kcpcx :P nice to have you on board. I think you listen well to your inner self & chose the right color. I get "that" wholeheartedly. You'll skip liking it and go right to lovin' your new scoot.
So be it! Red it is!
Will tomorrow ever come? If you fall asleep, it might :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

One advantage of that seat is it's got the raised bit to stop you sliding forward - problem with the new style 2015 seat for me. Not too bad, just have to adjust my position on some journeys and I only do a 10 mile commute. A bit of extra padding should help with the many bumps and dips on outer london roads, but I'm more worried about wear on the tires and suspension than me :)
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Yeah, the stock seat sucks. Time to de-hump it or order from Thailand.

Brought it home this afternoon.

'88 BMW R100RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep! It's Red, it's Yours and it's Home! Congratulations!! :P
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Nice. I never did put my temp on and they never bothered to stop me and check. I guess i look too old to be cheating. Prostate and tail bone exam while you ride.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Scrap the seat and order one from Thailand, you won't regret it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I believe that too! Buy a New one! Like Mark, Dave, Mel and so many have done. Great choices too. They all have happy backs and butts now.....Tails tell all :D
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Order early and often because mine is taking a looong time to get here... o_O
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

I just ordered one today (seat). I rode the PCX to Home Depot and was like, yeah, this hump has to go.

powerbypcx was nice enough to give me a 10% off code too when I emailed them for being a forum member.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Cool. Wetbike gives 10% too.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

kcpcx wrote:I just ordered one today (seat). I rode the PCX to Home Depot and was like, yeah, this hump has to go.

powerbypcx was nice enough to give me a 10% off code too when I emailed them for being a forum member.
Well, be sure to share some details about your experience with them.

They're charging 399 euros for a red fairing set, which is about $513, not including shipping. So I'd want to make sure they're not completely ripping me off.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Valiant wrote:
kcpcx wrote:I just ordered one today (seat). I rode the PCX to Home Depot and was like, yeah, this hump has to go.

Well, be sure to share some details about your experience with them.

They're charging 399 euros for a red fairing set, which is about $513, not including shipping. So I'd want to make sure they're not completely ripping me off.

You mean $500 for all the red plastic bits? That seems steep. I was looking at the Honda parts fiche, and prices for OEM body panels look pretty cheap compared to what I would expect. I haven't added it up, but I think you might be able to order the stuff from a Honda dealer cheaper than that. Shipping will probably be stout on a whole panel set from Thailand, too, judging by how much freight was on my seat.

Here is a random dealer with an online parts fiche. Assuming you want the Honda OE color, you might look into what the panels cost without shipping them halfway around the planet. Well, not halfway for you if you're in HI, lol.

http://www.advantagepowersports.com/we- ... arts-fiche
'88 BMW R100RT
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

SECoda wrote:Cool. Wetbike gives 10% too.
I didn't realize that. Wish I had known because I just sent almost $300 their way for a digital speedometer. Bummer.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

kramnala58 wrote:
SECoda wrote:Cool. Wetbike gives 10% too.
I didn't realize that. Wish I had known because I just sent almost $300 their way for a digital speedometer. Bummer.
I think you're fine on the speedo. That's a cool unit (assuming you ordered the Kitaco) that you can't replicate at the dealer.

I was just shocked at how cheap the plastic body panels are from the dealer, esp considering they are already painted. I'm used to BMW motorcycle prices. Those panels would be 5 times that much from BMW, each.
'88 BMW R100RT