Upgrading the rear wheel to a thicker tire?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 PCX 125
Color: matt black

Re: Upgrading the rear wheel to a thicker tire?

Post by wojtek_pl »

City Grip Winter looks REALLY nice ! Though if it's winter tire it may be soft and tread wear may be high...
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

In case you are interested, here are some pictures of used K66 tires and user opinions:
http://www.peugeotscootersclub.it/forum ... =11&t=2466
http://visforvoltage.org/forum/13440-ve ... ad-bearing
http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?tid=3411

And here K66 Snowtex winter tires http://sprzedajemy.pl/opony-zimowe-heid ... -14,149739 after (claimed) 150 km in autumn :? .
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Post by Sowaka »

That used K66 with only 150km on it looks horrible... Not that I know much about treads or wear... But it shouldn't look like that, should it? Goddamn.

Those Winter City Grips actually look pretty fantastic, I wasn't aware they came in the winter variety! Wear doesn't concern me too much, I've had my scooter for over a month now and barely put 200km on it so any tire ought to last me quite a long time. My main concern is safety and handling, I just don't want to have my bike slide out from under me, especially when our roads are often wet. Would using winter tires with an "intense" tread pattern have any adverse affect when riding on dry pavement? I know the milage will go down and tread wear will go up, but it won't be hazardous at all, right?
wojtek_pl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wojtek_pl »

Consider this: best grip on dry You will get with slick tires. :) So the more grooves you have the less grip on dry, BUT better grip on wet or dirt.
Any winter tire will be worse on dry than summer tire (in my opinion only !) . Maybe not much but still worse and you need to adjust your driving style to that. Though, softer rubber could perform better in cold condition. And disappear like crazy. :) It's all compromise...

PS. Take that 150 km with a grain of salt. Those little groves are VERY shallow and cannot last long, especially in Snowtex tires with soft rubber. Maybe if you use them on snow ONLY, they would last and bite the snow efficiently. :D
Regards
Wojtek
2014 Honda PCX 125
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I ordered a pair of K66 snowtex, I saw some very good reviews about them even in dry conditions. I don´t ride the little scooter much anyway hence I am not worried about how quick they will wear. I want the all weather grip.

Every tyre is a compromise but technologies evolve. Only ten years ago I wouldn´t even have thought to use a soft winter tyre in the summer, now that all season tyres aren´t wearing away as hard but still give you enough winter grip, I don´t want anything else (on my cars at least).

In principle, the more rubber and less grooves, the better dry grip. However on tyres that were made with more grooves, even dry grip suffers if they are worn. Don´t think that you can continue using a bald tyre in the dry as you will have much less grip.

(Also) in principle, the more water has to be dispersed by a tyre, the more grooves it needs meaning either the more water is on the road or at higher speeds. However when there is no standing water but "just" a slick and slippery wet surface, tyre compound is more important as it will determine how easily the rubber will flex and grip to the grooves in the road. On my big bike I loved the Anakee3 tyres, they had a lot of slick rubber but were great in the wet and I put it down to the compound. Yes, the grooves that were on it were also quite substantial, it was classified as fit for slight off roading.

In the end if you are too fast for the amount of water that’s there, there will be no tyre that will save you. Hence when its wet, just be smooth with your controls, plan ahead to leave plenty of time for your control input and slow down.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Michelin City Grip is the daddy.
Anything else is less.
Compound matters but in heavy rain without sipes it makes no odds how good the compound is.
Both are necessary for a good wet performance.

A tyre is your father?