Wrong spec engine oil used.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

renlik
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Wrong spec engine oil used.

Post by renlik »

My first service was overdue (880mls) so rushed out to local shop and bought some oil which seemed half decent - Castrol Act-Evo 4T 10w/40. Changed it yesterday - all went well.

I've since realised it meets jaso ma-2 not Jason mb and is just a very basic oil. I'm thinking it won't do any harm as long as I only leave it for say 1,000 miles?

Does anyone want to put my mind at rest and tell me it will be OK?

Thanks.
2015 Honda PCX125 RED - UK Spec.

Previous Bikes: 99 Honda CB600F Hornet, 01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco, 01 Honda VFR800FI, 08 Honda CG125 ES7
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Wrong spec engine oil used.

Post by gn2 »

It'll be fine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
renlik
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by renlik »

I'm feeling better already, thanks!
2015 Honda PCX125 RED - UK Spec.

Previous Bikes: 99 Honda CB600F Hornet, 01 Aprilia SL1000 Falco, 01 Honda VFR800FI, 08 Honda CG125 ES7
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by yak »

The instructions are on page 97 of the owners manual. http://mototh.com/files/honda/PCX150i/H ... al-Eng.pdf

SG or higher (API Classification)
SAE 10w30
JASO MB
Do not use oil displaying a circular API design that says "Energy Conserving" on the label of the container.

I have gone to several websites devoted to oil. Many of the participants are mechanics, engineers, scientists. Half of them say it is vitally important for you to use the correct oil. Half of them say that it doesn't make one bit of difference.... just keep oil in the bike.
Reaper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Reaper »

I use the synt oil from my car :) 5w40 runs just fine.
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I discovered BITOG one day (Bob Is The Oil Guy) and am amazed to this day that tens of thousands of people could discuss engine oil to that extent. Plenty of useful and interesting info there.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... p?ubb=cfrm
'88 BMW R100RT
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

The jaso MB spec is what is difficult to find. MA is for motorcycles with wet clutches that share the engine oil. MB is for motorcycles that do not have the clutch running in the engine oil, like the PCX. From what I can determine MB is more than twice as slick MA oil. MA is designed to keep the clutch from slipping.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

renlik wrote:My first service was overdue (880mls) so rushed out to local shop and bought some oil which seemed half decent - Castrol Act-Evo 4T 10w/40. Changed it yesterday - all went well.

I've since realised it meets jaso ma-2 not Jason mb and is just a very basic oil. I'm thinking it won't do any harm as long as I only leave it for say 1,000 miles?

Does anyone want to put my mind at rest and tell me it will be OK?

Thanks.
I simply do not understand this reasoning.....you went past the oil change period for your new engine.....now you want that still new engine to run a thousand more miles to put in
the proper oil.
Is oil that expensive in the U.K.? Or is draining and refilling your oil a very hard task for your situation?
Put your mind at rest with the proper lubricant in your new scooter....it only takes a few minutes and a couple of bucks.
Fish