Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by homie »

ScooterMan wrote:No results yet? Get with it homie!

The stock variator ramps really ramp up at the end and don't allow the weights to get all the way to the edges. The angle on the drive face must be different, but can't tell by the naked eye. I know that with just the vario, I only gained 4-5mph. With the drive face added, I gained 6mph more. Both together gave me 10-11mph more.
I'm going slow and enjoying this a lot 8) ... I already nicked my lower side panel by not covering the side stand with a rag when it popped off. Ever so small mark but still if something can go wrong it will :lol: IM LOVING IT! you guys are great!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Just put 10 miles on the NCY set up with the 12gm's and there is nothing here to see. So unless there is a break in period for the rollers or something this was so little change that I won't bother to bench. Same top end on my select run, perhaps some acceleration change but I cant feel it or sense it so tomorrow I put a few more miles on it to mare the faces of the pulley and then take it apart for higher weight rollers. Really thought SOMETHING would be different... but hey there is always tomorrow.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Wow this gets easier... had this off in 10 minutes this time :o for those just checking in this thread is about recovering from oversized Michelin tires with NCY upgrades via the pulley's and weights. So far 12 gram rollers are not what you want if you would like your speed back.

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Is the scooter redlining early? like at 55? Even 12 gram sliders in a stock vario are locked all the way out way before top speed. You can tell when they lock out because this is when the rpm's start rising with speed. Up until lock out, the rpms stay the same as you are accelerating.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:Is the scooter redlining early? like at 55? Even 12 gram sliders in a stock vario are locked all the way out way before top speed. You can tell when they lock out because this is when the rpm's start rising with speed. Up until lock out, the rpms stay the same as you are accelerating.
I'm sorry my tachometer is still in shipping from a third party seller on amazon, you know how that goes. This experimenting is very, very exciting! Cool stuff man 8)

I don't want to speculate as to what happened tonight with the 12's other than say I won't put those back in because they did nothing for me over the stock configuration. I know you guys want stats on 2015's and I shouldn't have jumped the gun before the tach was reporting RPM's in all range of speed. The 13's are in right now and I'm ready to roll again but it's late and heading down to 28 degrees tonight. But tomorrow WE RIDE :lol: :lol: :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The belt can also be stopped from moving by the rear pulleys if the new style belt of the 2015 is too short. Next time you have the cover off you can sneak a peek at the rear pulleys to see if there is any virgin metal at the inner edges. If not, then the belt is being held from moving out the variator from back there.
You don't need a tach to know at what speed the trans is locked out at max gearing. Just listen to the frequency of the exhaust. When you gun it from a stop, the pitch will will settle into a same note by 20 mph or so and stay there throughout the run even as the bike is going faster and faster until you get to a certain speed, and then the pitch will start to rise with the increasing speed until your engine power balances the wind, or you hit the rev limiter which feels like the engine power is fading in and out and just can't go any faster.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:The belt can also be stopped from moving by the rear pulleys if the new style belt of the 2015 is too short. Next time you have the cover off you can sneak a peek at the rear pulleys to see if there is any virgin metal at the inner edges. If not, then the belt is being held from moving out the variator from back there.
You don't need a tach to know at what speed the trans is locked out at max gearing. Just listen to the frequency of the exhaust. When you gun it from a stop, the pitch will will settle into a same note by 20 mph or so and stay there throughout the run even as the bike is going faster and faster until you get to a certain speed, and then the pitch will start to rise with the increasing speed until your engine power balances the wind, or you hit the rev limiter which feels like the engine power is fading in and out and just can't go any faster.
Understood... I will look at rear pulley and report. Also there has been posts (perhaps unrelated) to disconnecting the battery after certain performance enhancements to reset the CPU. Do we even have one of those on a PCX?

Any how today is the day this gets settled one way or the another. I will either recover performance after the larger tires with NCY variator products or not. Not going to start tossing stuff overboard and looking into exhaust LOL. I will settle in with one of the roller configurations (12-13-16) maybe even put the stock vario back in and just know that you will not recover performance from oversized tires on a PCX with NCY vario products alone... and that will be fact :)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Let me know when you get to the $4800 I just paid for the Forza to solve my speed dilemma. :lol: It has the larger tires too. I am missing all of the fun I guess. I have all of the NCY stuff sitting in a drawer for the PCX waiting for others to take the plunge first. o_O
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ok Homie. Here's the scoop...

DOn't fret, the parts do work. You should have experienced an increase in RPM under full throttle from 0-lockout (approx 60mph or so). The RPM increase over stock put more power at your disposal...no doubt about it.

What may be ging wrong here:

You may have had a higher expectation than the parts were capable of fulfilling.
You also seemed to have not noticed a top speed difference yet. Try tucking or going downhill, I can assure you it's there.
You are heavier than me as you stated by 50lbs, and you have the larger/heavier tires. All that with cold weather gear (big jacket) that really catches the wind could be keeping you from hitting higher speeds.

Great thing about the NCY setup is that there's no appreciable loss in bottom end but a nice gain in top speed and even a gain in accel at freeway speeds.

SO yeah, don't worry too much. A little more time and some real life traffic scenarios should help. Doing a little drafting behind a box van can get you up to speed if a full tuck doesn't.

Where I live, we have ups and downs on the freeway of several degrees all over town. Prob by as much as a 4-6 degrees in places. I tuck going up them but sit up going down them in order to get closer to maintaining top speed.

Long story short, the gearing is there to go 65-76mph. Other factors may be keeping you from getting there currently. As a lighter rider with stock tires, I'm able to maintain higher top speeds on avg. For me, it's acceptable as a freeway cruiser. Someone else who weighs a lot more and wears a ton of gear while trying to push through the wind may fin a PCX150 unacceptable.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have read that the NCY parts work as described here on other forums on the 2013s. One guy even had charts and graphs and was confirmed by third parties. I get nervous when other variables start changing like tires without a baseline or maybe there is one. Stock tires, big tires, and then NCY parts on the SAME bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Now we are cooking with GAS baby! I could feel the old girl was back before she even warmed up. Total success this morning 8) The NCY Pulley kit with 13gram rollers are pulling hard and top speed is back plus 1mph more with the 120/70-14 front and 140/70-14 rear tires. I ran my bench in the morning sun and it reflected my Hi-Vis resulting in poor quality so I will run again later. But the numbers are there in 35 degree temperature.

0-60 in 18-19sec
65 mph in 26sec 1-2mph over the stock benchmark :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't feel the need to add more roller weight. Wow what a difference 1 gram made and I didn't need to toss any creature features over board :P
If you go full screen and look close the proof is in the glare, sorry better vid later today... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve-EM4CGANc
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Correction my stock bench was topping at 65 so its too perfect, what are the chances this would wash out so close to stock numbers. I'm very happy to NOT be the slowest PCX anymore. Thanks a bunch you guys and I won't do a vid of how nice the fat boys look on Shay Whitey... Oh the heck I wont!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

8) You may want to try the 12g again or GO CRAZY and do a combo of 16 12 13 etc. just make sure you alternate the G's like 16 12 16 12 16 12 (= 14) :lol:
And try that thing downhill now you should be able to break 70+mph.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Cool I have the 13g rollers too.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:8) You may want to try the 12g again or GO CRAZY and do a combo of 16 12 13 etc. just make sure you alternate the G's like 16 12 16 12 16 12 (= 14) :lol:
And try that thing downhill now you should be able to break 70+mph.
I'm good DS... that's the extent of homie's performance enhancement spot. I got the fender wells filled and didn't lose anything precious. Cold is upon me next week so it's time to stop procrastinating and check them valves. You guys are encouraging but this was just about BIG tires LOL.

Oh about resetting the brain... yes, no? disconnect the battery and reconnect it, does this need to happen for things to be right?
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Good question but I would hope that computer would be monitoring and changing constantly. Otherwise, it would be a Harley. lol (I think theirs would be too) I guess if it needed a reset like an engine check? I'll check the service manual on that.

Read this... Not sure if CVT changes apply.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 100#p24438
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

CVT mods you don't need to "reset", engine yes...
but how hard is it to disconnect a negative terminal for a minute. :roll: :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:CVT mods you don't need to "reset", engine yes...
but how hard is it to disconnect a negative terminal for a minute. :roll: :lol:
well yea that's easy but then you have to reset the CLOCK!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Some other inconsistency is at work here. 1 gram can't make that much difference. Once you get your tach installed you will know better what the tunings are.
Are you feeling the rev limiter fade in and out or just coming up against the wind balancing the engine power.
Only mods which change the breathing of the engine such as intake or exhaust might need a battery reset. And it is questionable whether this really resets the adaptation values anyway.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sendler2112 wrote:Some other inconsistency is at work here. 1 gram can't make that much difference. Once you get your tach installed you will know better what the tunings are. YEP
Are you feeling the rev limiter fade in and out or just coming up against the wind balancing the engine power. NOPE
Only mods which change the breathing of the engine such as intake or exhaust might need a battery reset. And it is questionable whether this really resets the adaptation values anyway.
OK I won't bother because SHAY is running like a bat out of hell
this will get done during valve adjustment anyway