Acceleration,vibration/speed issues

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

danimalstyle
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Acceleration,vibration/speed issues

Post by danimalstyle »

Hello,

I just had a 5K service from my dealer. My bike is still under warranty.

What is happening is when I am accelerating at 3/4 to full throttle, it feels like the engine is revving too much and not giving the wheel as much torque as before I had the service. It also feels like the bike is vibrating when this happens. Basically it feels like I don't have as much torque or top speed as before.

Also, I think I am slowly losing top speed in general, but before I had the service, my top speed was around 64.5 mph, now it appears to be around 62.5 on a flat. It also appears I may be losing mpg, but I haven't clocked that exactly yet. Usually I get around 100 mpg.

I had the dealer mechanic ride it today and he said he didn't notice any problem.

I did have the valve clearance done in this service. I guess they were supposed to open the transmission to check the belt, is that right? Does it sound like a transmission problem? That's what I am thinking. But the dealer said they didn't touch the transmission, they just checked the belt. Could they have spilled some oil on the belt and could that be causing the symptoms? Any other guesses?

The dealer said they could take a look at it in a couple days. If anybody has any thoughts about what could be the problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.
danimalstyle

Re: Acceleration,vibration/speed issues

Post by danimalstyle »

Well I took the cvt cover off and inspected the transmission without removing either of the wheels.

There was a bit of dust in there. I tried to clean it up a bit and wiped some stuff down in there.

On the cvt cover there is a little wheel that connects to the rear wheel wheel. It was pretty dusty including the rubber part. Also when I spin it it clicks, which makes me think there is a bad bearing in there.

Gonna test drive it later.
danimalstyle

Post by danimalstyle »

Rode it and it seems ok. Top speed seems around 63.5 or 64 - I remember when I got the bike I could go downhill and push 70. I guess the belt is just getting smaller.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

What oil did the dealer put in your engine and or final drive regarding this 5 k mile service ??? .
Also , is the tension proper for the belt ?. It's quite discouraging nobody else chimed in on this ! .
FYI..... also post on the ADVRIDER forum under "battle scooters" , you WILL receive responses there !!!.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

frog13 wrote:What oil did the dealer put in your engine and or final drive regarding this 5 k mile service ??? .
Also , is the tension proper for the belt ?. It's quite discouraging nobody else chimed in on this ! .
FYI..... also post on the ADVRIDER forum under "battle scooters" , you WILL receive responses there !!!.

It's it because there's not much wrong with the bike?

Are you on brownie points from "ADVRIDER"? You seem to mention them on every post.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Oil is oil unless they overfilled it a little which can cause drag from splashing. Brand new oil is a little thicker than worn out oil. It makes your engine last longer. There is no belt tension adjustment they would have touched. Too bad these bikes don't have a tach. That would tell us if the rpm's are really any different. The belt gets less wide as it undergo's normal wear which reduces top speed a couple mph. The bearing in the case probably shouldn't click but this wouldn't make the bike slower unless it was screaming while you were riding. Put the bike on the center stand and see if you can hear it with a stethoscope while someone gives it some speed. It is all probably fine.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Alibally wrote:It's it because there's not much wrong with the bike?

Are you on brownie points from "ADVRIDER"? You seem to mention them on every post.
There is only 1 thread for the PCX at ADVRider so no matter what the topic of your post is, it triggers an instant notification to anybody who is subscribed. A few of the people from here are also over there so there is some knowledge pool but it is nowhere near as deep as here.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

Deep , yes . Slow (by weeks ) in a response to an OP , yes . All the OP wanted was assistance or correspondence regarding a potential issue , that's all , not sarcasm . Not all riders are as "deep" on mechanical issues as others , the existence of such forums , I thought .
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

frog13 wrote: Slow
Only because not everybody automatically sees every post, every day.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

frog13 wrote:Deep , yes . Slow (by weeks ) in a response to an OP , yes . All the OP wanted was assistance or correspondence regarding a potential issue , that's all , not sarcasm . Not all riders are as "deep" on mechanical issues as others , the existence of such forums , I thought .
I wasn't being sarcastic. I personally think the bike is ok.

Some posts get missed. But there's no need to criticise the forum.

ADVRIDER is a huge adventure bike forum covering many makes and models, not just the one or two so it stands to reason it will be busier than a relative new one like this.
Last edited by Alibally on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geek77
Year: 2012
Color: Grey metallic

Post by geek77 »

I got rid of this symptom by having the clutch sanded.
The surface gets glazed with time and starts doing exactly what you're getting.
No need to take it apart, just remove the whole thing and get those pads working again.
It was done with a dremel, but sandpaper should do just fine.
---
I don't know if I would take it as far as this guy (the grooves) but the video give you a great idea about what needs to be done. I had it done at a shop.

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

:lol: I have one monster drink and my knee starts bouncing just like that.

This video is news... I haven't heard of this "glazing" until today, thanks! The question is what causes extreme heat on your clutch pads? If ever ones sees glazing I would think new parts not hack job grooves :lol:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

The clutch slipping gets it hot so it glazes up. Don't know if it's light throttle pulling away that causes it?
Mine has been fine but I tend to pull away reasonably sharpish so the clutch is fully engaged quicker.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Alibally wrote:The clutch slipping gets it hot so it glazes up. Don't know if it's light throttle pulling away that causes it?
Mine has been fine but I tend to pull away reasonably sharpish so the clutch is fully engaged quicker.
Makes brilliant sense what you are saying, riding like a bat out of hell from the gate all day long glazes the clutch from "extreme heat" I get it 8) or riding the brake or leaving the parking brake on whilst riding o_O yes I have done it once for a short then never used the P-brake again.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote::lol: I have one monster drink and my knee starts bouncing just like that.

This video is news... I haven't heard of this "glazing" until today, thanks! The question is what causes extreme heat on your clutch pads? If ever ones sees glazing I would think new parts not hack job grooves :lol:
If it ever does happen to you. And it's pretty unlikely, then a pass over with a bit of wet and dry sorts it

You're more likely to glaze your brake pads.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

Great post and video geek77 , that's the stuff that helps riders .
geek77
Year: 2012
Color: Grey metallic

Post by geek77 »

Actually pretty much all the scooter clutches glaze up.
Even so, they always work, so many people don't go through the trouble of cleaning the clutches.
It is made out of the same material as the brake pads so...
The only purpose of that thing is slipping so it is glazed, the question is "to what extent".
It's cheap (or easy) to do, just try and you will be amazed by the difference.

Thanks Frog. Will try to stay consistent here. :-)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote: If it ever does happen to you. And it's pretty unlikely, then a pass over with a bit of wet and dry sorts it
You're more likely to glaze your brake pads.
I believe the clutch bell is an area I will venture into in the spring... now I'm curious,
THANK YOU FOR THAT! youyou
frog13
Regular User
Regular User

Post by frog13 »

sendler2112 wrote:Oil is oil unless they overfilled it a little which can cause drag from splashing. Brand new oil is a little thicker than worn out oil. It makes your engine last longer. There is no belt tension adjustment they would have touched. Too bad these bikes don't have a tach. That would tell us if the rpm's are really any different. The belt gets less wide as it undergo's normal wear which reduces top speed a couple mph. The bearing in the case probably shouldn't click but this wouldn't make the bike slower unless it was screaming while you were riding. Put the bike on the center stand and see if you can hear it with a stethoscope while someone gives it some speed. It is all probably fine.
A TTO tach is easily installed .
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I have the Koso tach.
http://www.amazon.com/Koso-North-Americ ... =koso+tach
It is very easy to install since it is battery powered and uses an inductive pickup wire which is just wrapped around the spark plug wire and taped.