How cold will you ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: How cold will you ride?

Post by SECoda »

Nearly 50 F here today - near 60 F on Saturday. :)
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

This afternoon 43 deg F, driving rain, 20km/h wind with gusts up to 39km/h. 30km round trip, all for Belgian double chocolate cake at my local Mom and Pop bakery. :D Cravings....
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

50s the next five days and Monday is one of our holiday's. :P Right now every day is showing clear but a strong south wind on Saturday when the temp hits 60.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I took about a 30 minute ride about 10 days ago when the temperature was about 33 degrees F. I wanted to see how my bright orange windbreaker and bright yellow/green hoodiy worked in cold weather. I was wearing long-johns under my jeans, a tee-shirt, then the hoody (spell?) then the windbreaker. I managed to force my modular helmet over the hood. what I for got was my old motorcycle gloves that extend a short ways over my wriests, and that is what cold, my left wriist got too much wind. That and I needed something additional on the front of my throat. My PCX just has the standard windshield so at freeway speeds I could feel my throat getting uncomfortably cold. It wasn't too bad, but then I was only out about 30 minutes, and only about 1/2 of that was at about 55-60 mph. I think if I had put on the insulated whatever they call those coats, with no sleeves like Bubbas wear, that and remembered my motorcycle gloves I would have been fine for an hour or two. The legs seemed to be well protected. When I was much younger, I used to ride to work year round, but it seldom gets below about 15-20 degrees in this area. Get some good gloves, and layer up to protect yourself from the wind, and you should be OK on a PCX.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Yes - I had a pair of very warm sport gloves but there wasn't the wrist extension so I picked up some arctic ones with the extensions and they work great even at 29 F which is the coldest I rode so far. I rode a long time but didn't hang much above 50 and most was 35-40 when it was that cold.

I just got back from a 35 mile ride at lunch time and I was a bit overdressed since it is right at 50 F. I will post a video clip of it later since they take a long time to upload to YouTube. Not a cloud in the sky and virtually windless today. I rode the interstate for about 10 miles and it was smooth at 65 (Forza).
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Wow - 42 F already this morning heading for 60 F.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

High for me will be 40 with 22 mph winds and rain later. Streets in my sub still covered in snow. No good for me. :(
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I used to have a double motorcycle trailer but now have a 16' utility trailer that can handle two large ATVs and 3-4 motorcycles or scooters. I think it's time for a road trip down south. :P Wife and I are going to see American Sniper at 12:30 p because every show has been sold out so far but then its a long scooter ride after that. I can even tell it's staying light out longer again. o_O
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Looked forward all week to a daybreak ride to my coffee village today.....geared and layered, with Gerbing gloves lit and two Malwart chest packs glued on...... but, a first for me, turned around and went home after 4 miles. Frosted last night. 27 degrees F, and several days of temps at or below 32.
Did not like the look of the streets. Dark and shiny in the tire tread areas .....dry and light colored in the center.
Tested the brakes heavily at slow speed, and rubbed my boot to test....did not seem slippery.
But just did not like that dark shinyness. What is that? Moisture coming back to the surface due to car tires? Melted frost from the tires?
These same streets were dry in preceeding days....
If in a car I'd had no concerns, but with a contact patch the size of two Ritz crackers I just pulled over and turned for home.
They say it is just a matter of time.....well, I plan to extend that time.
Will be mid 40's this afternoon - so might change the gear oil and go for a ride.
Thought this was funny:Image

And, yeah - wish I had some of these for winter months...Image
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Fish - how often do you change the gear oil?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

SECoda wrote:Fish - how often do you change the gear oil?
This will be the first change....I know Honda uses good stuff, and I'm sure the boys in Thailand did what they were supposed to - but this is the oil it was born with - so I'd like to drop it and put in some new. Then I'll leave it alone for a while...
Please keep this on the Q T, so I don't get yelled at, again, for destroying the earth!
Fish
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I have so many engines it seems like I am changing the oil on something every weekend. Bring them oil prices down.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:
SECoda wrote:Fish - how often do you change the gear oil?
This will be the first change....I know Honda uses good stuff, and I'm sure the boys in Thailand did what they were supposed to - but this is the oil it was born with - so I'd like to drop it and put in some new. Then I'll leave it alone for a while...
Please keep this on the Q T, so I don't get yelled at, again, for destroying the earth!
Fish

I was quite surprised at the swarf when I changed the pcxs
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Really? o_O At how many km/miles did you change it?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:Really? o_O At how many km/miles did you change it?

About 800/900 miles. Was glad I did.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Do they have a magnetic plug there? I may change them both now.

Nature is calling the bikes out on a ride. It is cloudless and 58 F on it's way up. I may try to dry the tank today. MLK day looks nearly the same.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:Do they have a magnetic plug there? I may change them both now.

Nature is calling the bikes out on a ride. It is cloudless and 58 F on it's way up. I may try to dry the tank today. MLK day looks nearly the same.

Can't remember, don't think so. I think I took some photos but can't find the post
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Zero degrees here and it's icy! (That's 32F for you cavemen LOL). Wish me luck today!
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Where? Put your location in your profile please.

Cooler today (high 55 F today 52 tomorrow) :P I am estimating about 250 miles in this 5 day warm spell. It will cool off later in the week - at least back to the 40's.

I took a lot of video with the Mobius using the chest mount. I finally figured out how to hold the Forza glove compartment door open a crack so I can use the power outlet for the camera and my phone as a GPS.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Sacha Cavemen my buttocks! Lol. Fahrenheit is the way to go! :D