Another crash

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

adrianwo
Year: 2014
Color: matt grey

Another crash

Post by adrianwo »

This happened last thursday, at about 22:30h when I was returning home from the university after a very intense studying sesion. I was aproaching a junction at about 50km/h, when the traffic light turned red. I stopped, of course, but the car in my back just didn't, and crashed into me at those 50km/h when de light was alredy red. It was a big impact, a few cars stopped to help me, but fortunately I was OK. I can't remember it very well, but apparently my big bag that I use for carying my laptop protected my back when I falled in the car's capote. I really feel the luckiest man in the world right now, because that could have ended up really bad.
The guy's car (who, by the way, had only been driving for 10 days before he had the accident. Yes, 10 DAYS) was seriously damaged. He's radiator and headlamp were broken, but my pcx, that's a very different story. My number plate was bended, some of the plastics were broken and the left side was scratched (remember, it was a big crash), but the engine and all the important parts were not damaged at all. What an impresive little piece of machinery this Honda is. But what has impressed me the most is that Honda has managed to ask for the parts that had to be fixed, which are located in Barcelona, and repair my scooter in just one week. This is also thanks to my insurance company (Axa), but still, quite impressive, isn't it?
Here are some of the photographs I took to my bike before Honda took it. I had only done 1000km with it so it was brand new. The last one is how I want it back.
Attachments
IMG_20150108_222334.jpg
IMG_20150108_222334.jpg (655.81 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150108_222353.jpg
IMG_20150108_222353.jpg (541 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150108_234853.jpg
IMG_20150108_234853.jpg (507.42 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150110_102201.jpg
IMG_20150110_102201.jpg (476.15 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150110_102224.jpg
IMG_20150110_102224.jpg (529.89 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150110_102234.jpg
IMG_20150110_102234.jpg (824.37 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG_20150110_102303.jpg
IMG_20150110_102303.jpg (809.37 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
IMG-20141207-WA0009.jpg
IMG-20141207-WA0009.jpg (559.95 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Re: Another crash

Post by MikeP »

I sure am happy you are ok and that your are going to get back on and ride. I know so many people who after a crash hang up their helmet, missing out on the juice of life. I have watched so many youtube videos of motor bike accidents. I use them as a learning tool to find the root cause and apply the lesson to myself, hopefully to prevent an accident. I can clearly picture exactly what happened to you and just how fortunate you are. The survival of the bike is truly amazing.
If I could kindly share my philosophy with you. This I live by:

I believe I am invisible. ;)
I believe everyone is aiming for me. ;)
I believe if I have an accident, even if it is deemed not my fault, It is my fault because I should have seen it coming. :o
Why? :geek:
Because I am invisible ;)
Because everyone is aiming for me. ;)

Friend I am very happy you are ok. Please post some pictures once your get your bike back and your back out there. Until then, Cheers :D
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Glad your ok and the bike is being sorted quickly. Looks like you may have been shunted forward somewhat which helped with the amount of damage - it could have been far worse to the bike and you.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Glad you're OK. :)

Hopefully the scoot will get fixed good as new. :)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Hopefully the insurance will total the bike and you can get a brand new one without too much gap in your payment. The plastics popping apart in the front show that the frame is stuffed forward along the bottom.
Flash your brake light on and off to get the following vehicle's attention and don't take your eyes off of your mirror when stopped until there is another vehicle that comes to a stop behind you. Stay ready to take evasive action if they don't look like they will stop in time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

First of all, I am really glad that you are OK. Next, I installed an additional brake light on my bikes that flashes 5 times before going on steady bright. This gives the car behind me warning AND it gets their attention! I think the problem you had was because of how new the driver was to driving, so giving advanced warnings is important for those types of people....and for the moms in big SUVs and minivans who are on the phone while drawing....and the people who have a hangover...and those who haven't had their coffee yet....and others. :-\
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I find out with our neighborhood entrance off of a highway that waiting at a stop turning left across traffic is about as dangerous as I have seen. If the person just isn't looking behind you at 50 mph you can get over on the shoulder at least and get out of their way. What is really dangerous is when some clown tries to pass you illegally on the shoulder from behind. He is fine but the guy right behind him suddenly gets a shot of your stopped tail from only a few yards behind you at high speed. I have learned to start tapping the brake lights a few hundred feet before the entrance and to slow down early. It pisses the driver off frequently. Several times when the driver was being aggressive I just kept going until the next turn with a real turn lane.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

SECoda wrote:Several times when the driver was being aggressive I just kept going until the next turn with a real turn lane.
Good plan. Sometimes you have to adjust to what the road gives you.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bit of a pain but worse things happen at sea
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Ouch! Glad you're not hurt.

Given the number of inattentive drivers and road ragers, it's one more reason why I ride ATGATT even for the 10 minute commute to my campus.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Hope you get your scoot repaired soon and be back in action!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I would think that with the driving test fresh in his mind, the car driver would know that a red light means STOP! A bloody a*sehole he is, period.

Happy you are fine, definitely shows the benefit of back protection.

One thing I learned from a very experience biking instructor: When stopped at a red light, keep your rear brake engaged. The benefits are:

- Brake light is on.
- If you are hit, you will not be pushed too far into the junction with crossing traffic
- The hit itself is also not as bad as if you weren´t braking
- DON´T cover the front brake as you may flip over the handlebars.

Always slow down gradually smoothly and let people see your brake light (touch the brakes very gently so to just flash the brake light). If you are turning, indicate with plenty of time.

The flashing brake lights that some use in the US are illegal in the EU, however a third brake light is allowed so you might consider that.

If you travel a lot at night, get a reflective vest, it makes people understand that there is a human in front of them....

And: GET A NEW HELMET!

Your old helmet will be useless after the impact. Make sure you include that in your insurance claim.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

To be honest, looking at the pictures again, I don´t think that the speed of impact was 50 km/h. It takes much less speed to cause worse damage in my experience. Hence the driver must have slowed down...although waaay too late and certainly doesn´t take away any of his guilt, "only" the potential injury.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I want a giant airbag in a backpack with a deadman to the handlebars for this type of accident :lol:
You are the first to make the survivors list... twice
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glad everything turned out okay adrianwo, yeah you're right about being thankful! Somebody was watching over you ;) & I'm glad.
So, how's you're scoot fixings coming along...any updates to share? How are you?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

homie wrote:I want a giant airbag in a backpack with a deadman to the handlebars for this type of accident :lol:
You are the first to make the survivors list... twice

I got this one in black: http://www.helite-motorcycle-airbagjack ... bilty.html

A little expensive, but not much more then a premium helmet. Used in every day on my big bike and deployed once in anger...well worth it.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I guess exiting the bike deploys it? They developed them for horses (I know their riders). $40 per charge refill and about $750 US. Not as bad as the $6500 ballistic parachute on my airplane (of course it floats the entire airplane down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--gqADpWBg
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey! that's cool! Track riders wear similar packs on thar backs? Or Did I dream that? :roll:
(If so, Somebody Shake Me!)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

djcat wrote: deployed once in anger...well worth it.
Do tell.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here comes the dirt.... :lol: