Advice for a new Forza Owner

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Forza208
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Advice for a new Forza Owner

Post by Forza208 »

I recently purchased a (slightly) used 2014 Honda Forza with about 2,000 miles on it. I have put about 600 miles on it myself, and so far it has been basically trouble free.

I see that there is an active recall for the fuel pump, but reading the negative experiences of some has made me reticent to get it replaced.

I also have the apparently common issue with the seat opener not actually holding the seat up even when it is in the fully open position. In fact, if I let go of the seat from the fully open position it shuts so hard that it actually latches.

My questions are as follows:
1. Should I get the recalled fuel pump replaced or just continue to use the scooter and be aware that it may someday fail?
2. Should I attempt to have the seat piston replaced?
3. How often does the scooter need serviced? If I have deciphered the owner's manual correctly, it recommends an oil change every 600 miles and nothing else until I reach 8,000 miles. Am I correct in that understanding?
4. Are there any recommended tips, tricks, or accessories that a new Forza owner ought to know?

I look forward to your input. Thank you.
stryder123
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 forza

Re: Advice for a new Forza Owner

Post by stryder123 »

If you have a good Honda dealer locally you should absolutely get the fuel pump replaced if your scoot is on the recall list. I would not worry about the seat piston till they do a recall on it. The 600 mile oil change is just for the very first oil change. Follow the owners manual on the maintenance scheduls.
Most people only need and oil change once a year.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Forza208 wrote: 1. Should I get the recalled fuel pump replaced or just continue to use the scooter and be aware that it may someday fail?
2. Should I attempt to have the seat piston replaced?
3. How often does the scooter need serviced? If I have deciphered the owner's manual correctly, it recommends an oil change every 600 miles and nothing else until I reach 8,000 miles. Am I correct in that understanding?
4. Are there any recommended tips, tricks, or accessories that a new Forza owner ought to know?
1: Get it changed, it won't cost you anything.
2: No, most pistons work perfectly well.
No point trying to change it if it works OK.
3: 600 miles is the initial service from new.
After that its serviced at 8,000 miles or one year then at 8,000 mile or yearly intervals.
(yes, that's 8000 miles between oil changes)
4: Just ride and enjoy it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If you seat piston is not working ......like so many are not working....have the dealer try a new one when they are in there replacing the fuel pump. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a working one like gn2 has! Both parts should be free and under warranty.
FYI.... some of us change the oil much more often than every 8Gs. But that is a personal failing...not a Honda requirement. It is easy to do and pretty inexpensive, even for a newbee.
Fish
Forza208
Year: 2014 Forza

Post by Forza208 »

Thank you for the advice and information. I haven't dealt with my local Honda dealer before, so I can't comment on their competency, but I suppose getting the fuel pump replaced will give me some insight into how they do business. I'm not sure of the original purchase date (I'll have to look it up), so I don't know if the seat piston is still under warranty or not. Is changing the oil more often than every 8,000 miles and/or once a year advisable? I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Forza208 wrote:Is changing the oil more often than every 8,000 miles and/or once a year advisable?
No, its completely pointless.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong