2500 mile service- advice please?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

2500 mile service- advice please?

Post by RideLondon »

Hi folks

I have done about 2,250 miles on my (2015) PCX 125, and soon it will be due for its 2500 mile service.

Now I know my local Honda, if I don't specifically request things, they will only do the bare minimum. I'm guessing oil and filter change.

What else should I ask them to check/ adjust? Valve clearances? Brake fluid? Coolant?
jon_l
Year: 2013
Color: black PCX

Re: 2500 mile service- advice please?

Post by jon_l »

You must not have an owner's manual. You can download what you need.

In my copy of the 150 manual, the maintenance schedule is on pages labeled 89 and 90.

2,500 miles:

inspect practically everything, including valves
clean crankcase breather
oil change

I doubt the 125 is much different.
black 2013 PCX150, red & black 2012 Triumph Thunderbird 1600
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

You should specify only that you want the 2500 mile service. A Honda dealer should know what to do.
Having said that, it is best to learn to service it yourself.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

If you go the dealer route let them know you want the 2500 mile service and you know what all it entails, then ask for an itemized receipt for your records.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Sacha wrote:Hi folks
I have done about 2,250 miles on my (2015) PCX 125, and soon it will be due for its 2500 mile service.
Now I know my local Honda, if I don't specifically request things, they will only do the bare minimum. I'm guessing oil and filter change.
What else should I ask them to check/ adjust? Valve clearances? Brake fluid? Coolant?
About the only thing changed or done on the 2500 service is the oil - not the filter (screen). Anything else done is listen to engine, quick look around and adjustment of anything loose, etc. Whether they do much else other than oil is questionable, perhaps just check brakes/lights work properly.
The owners manual (which you should have?) lists a valve inspection every 2500 miles - hardly never done, lucky if they do it before 12000 if the bike sounds right.
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

Thanks for the input guys.

I don't trust my dealer to do anything without me explicitly asking for it. They treat me like I'm a nuisance, as opposed to a paying customer...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

Sacha wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

I don't trust my dealer to do anything without me explicitly asking for it. They treat me like I'm a nuisance, as opposed to a paying customer...
Ouch. At least my dealer is happy to see me, because they charged me nearly $600 to change my variator, exhaust, and to do an oil change.

My advice:
Find a reputable scooter shop to do your service instead.

If your dealer is the only authorized Honda service tech, you'll want to evaluate the kind of service you're getting before considering the worth of the warranty. For me, because the service has been pretty horrible, I'm pretty cool with doing things(like installing a big bore kit and performance camshaft) that void my warranty.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I paid $294 just to get my transmission serviced (with new belt and rollers) and a tire changed at a reputable small-time scooter and motorcycle mechanic. It can be expensive either way.

What I would recommend after your 2,500 mile service is only take your scooter to the dealer at 7,500 miles, 15,000 miles, etc. Do the oil changes every 2,500 miles in between yourself, it's super easy to do. Just buy a click type 3/8" torque wrench with a 17mm socket to tighten the oil drain plug to 25 N-m or 18 ft-lb (216 in-lb). I have a 1/2" torque wrench and is not very accurate I find below 20 ft-lb which is unfortunate.

The oil screen has to be cleaned every 7,500 miles, you could learn to do that yourself. The valves arguably don't need to be inspected/adjusted any more often than every 15,000 miles, or whenever your engine starts to sound different.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Just had my PCX serviced today 3,000km (2,500Miles), by my local dealer.

I rang twice before I booked it in for quotes. 1st quote $180.00, the second quote $240.00. When I queried the second quote the service manager said "that's OK we can do it for $180.00.

Can't fault the service, though replacing the spark plug is a complete waste. Both engine and transmission oils were changed (I checked and it's clean).

I had to wait 10 minutes after I arrived to pick it up as they were washing it.

Overall I am happy with the service, though labor charges are crazy. The bike feels brand new, but quicker :D :D
Bike Service 27-03=15.pdf
(97.32 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

JohnL wrote:Just had my PCX serviced today 3,000km (2,500Miles), by my local dealer.
I rang twice before I booked it in for quotes. 1st quote $180.00, the second quote $240.00. When I queried the second quote the service manager said "that's OK we can do it for $180.00.
Can't fault the service, though replacing the spark plug is a complete waste. Both engine and transmission oils were changed (I checked and it's clean).
I had to wait 10 minutes after I arrived to pick it up as they were washing it.
Overall I am happy with the service, though labor charges are crazy. The bike feels brand new, but quicker :D :D
Bike Service 27-03=15.pdf
This is very strange - all that on the 1st service! Spark plug change (should not need replacing for many service intervals) and cleaning out the air filter - not supposed to be cleanable due to construction but replaceable much later on (although you can get bits out, not supposed to need it). Not heard anyone else have any of that done until much later on.