Chain Length

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Hold Da Kæft

Chain Length

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

After a motorbike was stolen from outside my home last night I'm even more worried about getting my pcx next month.

I therefore need some help from you guys.

If I wanted to thread an almax chain through both the front and rear wheel what length of chain would I need?

At least I'd stop it from being pushed/rode away. 2 guys and a van and I'm stuffed but a pretty big risk for just a 125 scooter IMO.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Chain Length

Post by iceman »

Maybe some movement detector lights and fake camera's would be a deterrent.
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Sadly it's an apartment block so not possible/allowed :(
Mr Elbows
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Mr Elbows »

At least 2 to 3 ultra thick six foot chains. You can link them all together and create one big chain system. The only pain in the arse is lugging these heavy things with you everywhere you go. Just make sure to chain your bike up to something completely unmoveable or cut resistant.

Also, getting something with a keychain pager is always a life saver as well. Like that big U-lock on the top left made by Bully. You'll definitely have a peace of mind with that pager in your pocket or on your dresser. Especially if you're somewhere inside and you fail to hear the alarm go off on the scooter outside. The keychain pager will alert you loud and clear. You'll be able to spring into action quicker and release your rottweiler on the chump tampering with your bike.

Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]
Mr Elbows

Post by Mr Elbows »

Also, from what I've read on here, always chain your back wheel up. It's more time consuming to take off the back wheel compared to the front wheel. The key is to make it take much longer to steal your bike so that you'll have enough time to react and take action.
Red 2013 Honda PCX 150 - very first scooter as of [2/12/15]
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

If you wanted to use a single chain, you'd need a length longer than what Almax makes, and it would be harder to secure it to a solid object.

If we're talking 2 chains, then 2m(6.5') is needed to loop it around the front tire and the area where the fuel panel is. You can use a shorter length for the back, but I opted to use equal lengths for flexibility.

Do you plan to carry the chains with you? I carry them in saddlebags, hence the equal weight. The flexibility is that I can lug them around with me to the college campus, where they do have a solid pipe to lock it to. In that instance, I lock the front as usual, but I use the 2m chain for the back and instead use that one to secure it to a solid object and lock it together with the front chain. I also loop that chain around the sleeve of my riding jacket and cover the whole bike with a locking cover.

If you don't have anything solid to lock it to(even an anchor you can install), I'd suggest saving your money and going with a disk lock and a short but thick U-bar lock around your rear tire. That at least will keep them from rolling it.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Try putting the scooter on the main stand then chain the front wheel to the stand. Make it tight so that the vehicle cannot be wheeled away.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Would either a 1.5 or 2mtr almax fit in the underseat storage??
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Oops I forgot to say it's the series 3 that I'd most likely be using
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hold Da Kæft wrote:Would either a 1.5 or 2mtr almax fit in the underseat storage??
Yes, but as mentioned, the entire point of a chain is the ability to secure it to an immobile object, or to lock one part to another.

Kinda want to make sure you can actually use that feature, instead of buying the biggest baddest chain on the market and thinking that will make your scoot unstealable:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... grinded%3F
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Okay, so here's a picture of my lockup(pre-cover):
Those are two 2m Pragmasis 13mm Protector chains with a looped(last link is a large circle) end. The front can't be taken off simply by popping the tire off, it would have to be cut. There is some slack, but not as much as you'd think. The rear chain is looped through the suspension and then the rear tire. It wouldn't be enough to pop the rear tire off, you'd need to separate the suspension from the swingarm too.

Unlike the OP, I have the advantage of having a car parked in front of it, and another car to the side of it, so lifting the thing out would be a damned chore at night. If this were the only place I parked, a simple disc lock plus a U-Bar through the back would be sufficient. The chains are most useful at my college campus and other areas where I can loop the chain through a solid object.

I also have a locking cover, an active siren and GPS combo. Way overkill given where I live, but it would be an appropriate layered approached for a place like London. But if you don't have relatively favorable parking conditions like where I live(also an apartment complex), I would just invest in insurance instead.
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Valiant wrote:
Hold Da Kæft wrote:Would either a 1.5 or 2mtr almax fit in the underseat storage??
Yes, but as mentioned, the entire point of a chain is the ability to secure it to an immobile object, or to lock one part to another.

Kinda want to make sure you can actually use that feature, instead of buying the biggest baddest chain on the market and thinking that will make your scoot unstealable:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... grinded%3F
The only disclock (6mm pin) that will fit is so useless it's not worth the cost.

D locks can but cut really easily with a pair of bolt cutters.

It's 50/50 each night as to if I could park next to a lamppost, so I'd like to have a chain that is long enough to utilise it if possible.

I know that everything is stealable given the right tools and time. I just want them to look and think fuck that and move to an easier bike to nick. (Harsh but a reality in London)

Using an angle grinder on an almax outside my home would attract so much attention I couldn't see that happening.

So the only alternative would be them to lift it into the back of a van, which is a risk we all face.

The pcx will have a device fitted so if it is stolen the police will be on their doorstep within minutes.
Hold Da Kæft

Post by Hold Da Kæft »

Valiant wrote:Okay, so here's a picture of my lockup(pre-cover):
Those are two 2m Pragmasis 13mm Protector chains with a looped(last link is a large circle) end. The front can't be taken off simply by popping the tire off, it would have to be cut. There is some slack, but not as much as you'd think. The rear chain is looped through the suspension and then the rear tire. It wouldn't be enough to pop the rear tire off, you'd need to separate the suspension from the swingarm too.

Unlike the OP, I have the advantage of having a car parked in front of it, and another car to the side of it, so lifting the thing out would be a damned chore at night. If this were the only place I parked, a simple disc lock plus a U-Bar through the back would be sufficient. The chains are most useful at my college campus and other areas where I can loop the chain through a solid object.

I also have a locking cover, an active siren and GPS combo. Way overkill given where I live, but it would be an appropriate layered approached for a place like London. But if you don't have relatively favorable parking conditions like where I live(also an apartment complex), I would just invest in insurance instead.

Forgot to add nice set up and thanks for the photo.

Certainly gives me an idea of what to do
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Okay, so here's a picture of my lockup(pre-cover):

Can you connect the front to the rear chain?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Re: 'The only disclock (6mm pin) that will fit is so useless it's not worth the cost. D locks can but cut really easily with a pair of bolt cutters'
6mm is the small hole fitting, but can't larger disklock's be fitted through the larger air cut-outs in the disc? Why do they have to go through the small hole?
A larger diamter D-Lock, say 15mm+ should be hard to cut through.
The only issue with larger chains or pairs of them is the added weight and space taken up under the seat - they must weigh about 5kg's+ (Almax a lot more).
Mistermcg
Color: white

Post by Mistermcg »

I picked up the Almax Series 3 - 2 meter length. The chain is about 8.5kgs and the Stronghold lock they sell with it must weigh 1.5Kg.
Wouldn't want to have to carry much more than that but it would be possible. Max waiting according to the Manual is 11kgs under the seat.

If you left one chain with you and one at home - that may be an option. I also put a 6mm alarmed disk lock, a "this vehicle is tracked sicker" and something called DataTag in the UK. Lastly - I try park next to a Vespa that doesn't have any security devise at all :D

I agree with what was said above, I also don't think Almax can sell you the length you would need.