Ignition Left On Reminder?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Ignition Left On Reminder?

Post by iceman »

Why not turn the bike off with the key, remove it then put the stand down.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Another idea might be to put something you need in the storage area, or plan on putting your helmet in (if it fits) or use the helmet hook ((if it doesn't). This would make you open the seat, which can only be done with the switch in the off position.

You must live in a very safe area to not have to worry about at least locking the front wheel over. Another thought might be to just get a bit more paranoid about someone wheeling your baby away.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by mtheall »

I put my helmet in the top box, which requires me to remove my keys from ignition to use another key to open the top box.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Argh. Typed out a long reply on my iPhone - sand fly landed on the screen - hit it to squish it - got the back button - lost the lot :(

Ok - from the top, again.

Thanks for the replies folks - all interesting ideas - just none working overly well with the way things work best for me :(

Ideally I'd like to turn the bike off with the key, and remove the key at the same time - but then I have to put the key somewhere; straight in my pocket doesn't work well because (a) I'm still wearing big gloves at that point and (b) I often need the keys again to get into the Givi box.

The seat latch takes a lot of force to close so usually it's unlatched unless I've put my helmet in there - depending on where I'm parked the helmet can be put under the seat - taken with me - or just left hanging over a handle bar (depends on security of the area).

I'm on and off the bike probably 10 times a day - what works best for me is coming to a stop - kick the side-stand down - hop off - gloves off - helmet off - key off and out. If it's being left in an unattended area then usually helmet and gloves under the seat - lock the seat - keys in pocket - job done, but the problem occurs when I'm leaving the bike in a trustworthy area where I'll kick the stand out - chuck the gloves under the seat (or inside the helmet) - hang the helmet on the bars and shoot off inside - with key still in and on :(

What I might try is getting a smoke alarm buzzer - power if from the ignition (so no ignition due to key off = no power to buzzer) and then hook the power circuit up via a micro-switch on the side stand. Not 100% ideal due to the way I like to do things, but it will guarantee that the bike can't be left on the side stand with the ignition on (which I've done about 6 times in 6 weeks - resulting in 2 flat batteries). Luckily both times so far have been 5 minutes pushing from recharging facilities - I just don't want to do it in the middle of nowhere - nor park in the middle of nowhere and leave the key in the ignition and lights on to advertise the fact ...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

TheMaverick wrote:Argh. Typed out a long reply on my iPhone - sand fly landed on the screen - hit it to squish it - got the back button - lost the lot :(
Serves you right.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

There was a thread a while back about the hard-to-latch seat. It seems that sometimes there is misadjustment out of the factory. Check out http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... tch#p58696

A few moments with a 10 mm wrench appears to do wonders.

Your proposed solution is pretty cool, but seems like a fair bit of work. OTOH, if it works, it would be time well spent.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

I am always surprised when an iPhone actually keeps a call for the entire length w/o disconnecting. o_O :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

GeorgeSK wrote:There was a thread a while back about the hard-to-latch seat. It seems that sometimes there is misadjustment out of the factory. Check out http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... tch#p58696

A few moments with a 10 mm wrench appears to do wonders.

Your proposed solution is pretty cool, but seems like a fair bit of work. OTOH, if it works, it would be time well spent.
To be honest, I actually like it this way - I don't need it locked 99% of the time and it's a bit of a PITA to have to use the key when I'm on it and off it quite a few times a day.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

tbln930 wrote:I am always surprised when an iPhone actually keeps a call for the entire length w/o disconnecting. o_O :P
No problems with my 6 Plus :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have Samsungs. No problems with them. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Android ftw, used my old Note2 all way through to Oulton Park yesterday, note a problem with satnav.

Partner uses a iPhone, never again is her only words when I ask her if she likes it.
aka DrewJW