Oil

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Tombawest
Year: 2013
Color: black

Oil

Post by Tombawest »

I would like to know if anyone knows why "energy conserving" oil is not recommended for use in the PCX150. New member. Old rider. I love my PCX. And prefer it for my semi-daily jaunts to my Kawasaki ZZR600. Just hop on and go. Looking forward to using this forum. I've had the scoot for a year now and never get tired of it.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Re: Oil

Post by relic »

seems like a honda catch 22
I think any high mileage oil will bypass the energy conserving stuff
these bikes are made to be bullet proof no mater what market they are sold in
friction modifiers in energy conserving are no good for wet clutches in most bikes
PCX's don't have clutches
same as fuel
these bikes are made to run regular why would anyone run anything more expensive
run regular fuel and high mileage oil
my 2 cents
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Ill just choose an oil per the manual specs, prob 10-40 M1, and change it often. Its gotta be the easiest drain ive seen at a quart total , and no filter. So ill get a 5qt jug from amazon and change it every 3-5 months. I dont mind that sched at all. Bike used year round every day.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Tombawest
Color: black

Post by Tombawest »

Thanks guys.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Jge64 wrote:Ill just choose an oil per the manual specs, prob 10-40 M1, and change it often. Its gotta be the easiest drain ive seen at a quart total , and no filter. So ill get a 5qt jug from amazon and change it every 3-5 months. I dont mind that sched at all. Bike used year round every day.
Totally agree.
I'm not quick to suspect the motives of motor manufacturers..
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Except you cannot by oil to the manufacturers specs in the UK - or so it seems. It states 10w30 MB non energy saving, but unless you import it from the US/Thailand you can't get that! (MB) Instead any good 4 stroke 10w30, 5w30 or 10w40 or such will be fine - ester, non ester, doesn't matter a jot for dry clutch honda or wet clutch bikes (most site, forums, and manufacturers responses say it's an urbann myth and bad cluthes to start with).

Some people say additives are bad for scooters as it wears seals - but that was true many years ago before technology moved on or some very poor quality China oils.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Found this mini-thread trawling the net : http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... -30/page-2
Interesting w50 is advised unless for consistently hot countries as it would be like treacle in normal temps)

It seems Honda spec 10w30 in the main over 10w40 for the slightly thinner hot-temp viscosity and perhaps slightly >mpg figure as w40 is thicker. That said, xxw40 is the most common fully synth oil these days.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Found this mini-thread trawling the net : http://www.nc700.co.uk/index.php?/topic ... -30/page-2
Interesting w50 is advised unless for consistently hot countries as it would be like treacle in normal temps)

It seems Honda spec 10w30 in the main over 10w40 for the slightly thinner hot-temp viscosity and perhaps slightly >mpg figure as w40 is thicker. That said, xxw40 is the most common fully synth oil these days.

Yes so true and, well, whatever really