PCX changes over the years and Uk / Europe / US differences

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

PCX changes over the years and Uk / Europe / US differences

Post by iceman »

I know this has been covered, at least most of it in a few threads but I cannot find them via searching - either words are too short or common or I find lots of threads without the info (mostly for interest). I know of some such as introduction of ESP, but just wanted to understand other differences such as something to do with the brake system, idle stop, etc, then smaller changes such as hazard warning, etc.

Can someone search better than me :) and post the link - thanks!
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX changes over the years and Uk / Europe / US differen

Post by cessna151 »

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but here's mine... http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=857
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

There's tons and tons of differences, what are you looking for in particular?

The PCX was first released in 2011. The US and UK version are basically the same, but everyone other than the US gets idle stop. The Thai market gets cheaper headlights. The airbox, engine, etc. are all the same as far as I know for the 2011s across all markets.

A PCX 125 ESP was introduced, and was exported to the UK for a fair bit due to regulations. It hardly existed in the USA, and is fairly rare to come across here. You can see from the outside that the airbox is different, but the entire engine is changed somewhat, including the exhaust. Even the heads are slightly different. The gearing is different in the transmission, and the variator is slightly different (though the variator is interchangable). It's slightly slower compared to the original 2011, but gets slightly better gas mileage.

The PCX 150 ESP was introduced, and gets better fuel economy than the PCX 125s. I don't think the UK got it due to the previous model being mostly for their market. It has different transmission gearing again, and a completely different engine again, including the exhaust. The body panels and seat are mostly interchangable from the 2011-2013s, with the exception of the fuel flap (and possibly the underseat bin?) as well as the wheels. Windshields that fit the 2013s will fit 2011s fine.

2015 introduced the new PCX 150. For the most part, nothing is interchangable. It's a completely different beast. Honda did a great job on the headlights, they're some of the best I've seen on a cycle.

All years have CBS, or combination brake system. That means you pull the left lever, and the rear drum brake actuates and 1 of the pistons on the front caliper actuates. The right brake actuates the other 2 pistons on the front caliper. Honda has deemed this braking method "safer," but that's open to debate. ;)

I have no idea about hazard warning.

All PCXes other than the US market had the option to get an alarm. We don't get that, but can order it from Europe or Asia and hack it in.

Obviously, the US model has improper units (Miles / MPH), whereas the rest of the world has KM. I believe the US model has a catalytic converter and charcoal filter for emissions, which many non-US models are not equipped with.

I'm sure I'm missing something. That was just a huge pile of information; if you have anything specific, I may already know (or can find out from microfiches ;) ).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Thanks all and maddiedog. That about covers it - just interested but could not find the older discussions.
We have mpg and mph in the UK too (along with litres and km's - selectable for fuel and the speedo has dual rings), I thought we too had a catalytic convertor due to EU emissions laws?
We probably did not get the 150 due to the 125 / 14.xbhp legal limit for CBT (beginner) licences and a small market for the 150's. Most people passing the proper tests would opt for a 250+ for motorway or large roads with faster limits.
The intro of a hazard light feature is another EU ruling thing - breakdown on motorways in europe and modern vehicles should have all indicators flashing, or so I believe.