Headlite bulb failure, removal and replacement

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Headlite bulb failure, removal and replacement

Post by SteveP »

I've had my Forza about 1 1/2 years and 8000 miles. I've always ridden it with the lights on high beam because I thought only one headlight was used on low beam, like it was on the Reflex I had previously. Wrong! Both headlight are use in both low and high beam. Found that out a couple days ago when I was leaving a friends house and he said "hey, why aren't your headlight on!?" He was right...both lights were out, even tho the "high beam" indicator light was on! Have no idea how long they were out, as I haven't rode in the dark for some time and I usually push the scooter in and out of the garage. But they both worked on low beam, so rode home on them. When I got home I checked the service (and Owners) manual for instructions on how to remove the bulbs...sounded simple and goes something like "disconnect connector, remove dust cover, unclip the bulb retainer, remove bulb". Easy...and no mention of panel removal. And it looked like it should be, as you can look up under the front fairing (after laying down on the ground!) and see and touch the connector and dust cover! Great! To make it a bit easier to see I removed the front center cover (u-shaped plastic piece under the fairing...2 clips and 1 screw). I reached up and pulled on the connector...and pulled...and pulled...and PULLED!!! Would not budge! I thought there might be some "secret" tab I needed to squeeze to get them off, but couldn't see or feel any. I then removed the windshield and plastic panel under it to see if that allowed better access...mostly no, but it did allow seeing the connectors without laying on the ground. I finally had to use a screwdriver to pry the connector off the bulb! Thankfully no damage was done to the connectors or wiring. I see no reason why those connectors need to be so tight and hard to pull off!

Once out I checked the bulbs with a battery charger...both high beam filaments burned out. Went to auto parts store (Adv. Auto & Auto Zone) to get new bulbs...didn't have any. They had higher wattage bulbs that would have fit but was worried about the heat generated and maybe whether the charging system could handle the extra load. These bulbs are 35 watts for both low & high beam, most automotive ones are like 55/60 at least. Went to the Honda dealer where I bought the scooter from...didn't have them in stock but could order them!!!! jeez....they sell and service Honda, Yamaha, Kymco and others, you'd think they'd have headlight bulbs in stock! Tried a "Battery-Bulb" store next...none in stock! Did find a pair at an independent shop...probably had them for a few years.

Think I will get at least one more to have as a spare, since they seem to be a bit hard to find "in a pinch".
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Headlite bulb failure, removal and replacement

Post by gn2 »

I had to change one of mine for the same reason last week.
The bulb is an HS1 12V/35W/35W and widely available here in the UK.
The bulb complete with connector block and dust cover can be removed without taking any panels off, re connector block stiff, mine was too, I also used a screwdriver to lever it off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My Forza was bought as a wreck. I have one 35/35 HS1 bulb and one 60/55 9003? bulb. Nothing seems to be melting. I have put 10,000 km on the Forza in 3 months. The charging system seems to be fine. I have no idea how the headlights work as I almost never ride in the dark.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

See if you can find any Xenon HS1 35/35. http://bfy.tw/1Qu1

Phillips and Osram etc. make them. You will get more light output for the same wattage. They are not super cheap but the extra light is worth it, at least for me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Illegal to fit Xenon bulbs in a halogen headlamp in the UK.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

gn2 wrote:Illegal to fit Xenon bulbs in a halogen headlamp in the UK.
Only if the temperature is above 4200 Kelvin. The key is to find ones that are lower

Failing that from candlepowerforums: Best HS1 options for scooter
HS1 is just a reduced-wattage H4 with one of its base tabs extra-wide so it can't be installed in place of an H4. However, the opposite swap should be direct (an H4 should fit right in place). The difference in light output is pretty dramatic; HS1 produces 825/525 lumens on high/low beam, while a standard H4 produces 1650/1000. The question, of course, is whether your scooter's charging system and wiring will handle the extra power of an H4 compared to an HS1. Take a look at the wires and see if they're a reasonable gauge size or if they're tiny and minimal. I think in your shoes I would buy a pair of Philips EcoVision or Osram-Sylvania EcoBright 9003 bulbs. These bulbs have minimized wattage but still meet the output requirements for the H4/HB2 bulb type,
Anyone outside EU like say in Bangkok:-) can use 5000k bulbs.