Johnson's Pledge furniture wax spray

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fabianfred
Year: 2015
Color: red

Johnson's Pledge furniture wax spray

Post by fabianfred »

The old timers will already know this trick...but for those who do not.
I used to own a Honda Steed 600cc for nine years here in Chiangmai, and it was during that time that I found out about Pledge. Of course we all know it as a furniture polish with a nice smell (yellow cap is lemon & orange cap is orange).
With a nice chopper with lots of chrome and fiddly places to clean a good wash and polish made it all look nice, but could take at least an hour or so. Then one would often get caught by a rain shower or just water on the road where people like to damp down the dust outside their home or shop or throw the dishwater out. This would then cause splatter on parts of our nice finish.
Not wishing to do a complete clean again the solution became 'Pledge'.

It is a very simple and quick job to spray a fine mist onto various places and then use a polishing cloth to wipe it, and any water marks, off. Going over all the main surfaces like this is quick and by the time you have done it all it will have dried off and so doing it all one more time will buff up the polish. A five minute or less job and the bike is back to what it was before...apart from the fiddly places like spokes and engine fins etc....but mainly it is looking good again.

You can safely use it on paint, chrome, plastic, vinyl, leather...so not only your bikes paint and chrome and plastic can be done all at one time, but also the seat and saddlebags, windshield, helmet, visor and even your leathers too.

If there is a lot of dust on a bike after standing for a few days then to avoid scratching I use one of those big polishing mops with thick stringy bits like the head of a Rasta...and spray the mop with polish to make it nice and sticky before dusting all over and picking up the dust...then doing the normal spray and polish with a rag.

The only trouble is that Pledge is quite expensive (over 200 baht), but you can get the same result by using a spray bottle of Wax One Gold (90 baht) or similar polish. Do not use the foamy sprays for wheels though.

Hope this helps the uninitiated ...especially as our PCX/Forza have so much plastic and are a far simpler job to do that a chopper. Actually the spray also has the property of inhibiting static which with large areas of plastic can be a dust magnet.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Johnson's Pledge furniture wax spray

Post by honkerman »

That's interesting. Something to look into. My concern is that it might damage the plastics.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I tried it , it works. It's been around a lot of forums for years.. But I'd much rather use something that's got much more durability, a polymer sealant. Like Rejex, Blackfire or Zaino.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
GlassMan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017

Post by GlassMan »

Blackfire has my vote, stuff is great!
fabianfred
Color: red

Post by fabianfred »

I've not heard of those American products, but Pledge is pretty inert and will not harm plastic.... any more than sunlight will.
A hard diamond coating like they use on cars to protect them has its points, but it will still look dirty easily and need a polish.
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

fabianfred wrote:The old timers will already know this trick...but for those who do not...It is a very simple and quick job to spray a fine mist onto various places
Indeed - I found out in my younger days that most ladies are big Johnson's fans :D

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

GatorGreg wrote:
fabianfred wrote:The old timers will already know this trick...but for those who do not...It is a very simple and quick job to spray a fine mist onto various places
Indeed - I found out in my younger days that most ladies are big Johnson's fans :D
So maybe it was a spray can of Johnson's wax spray in your pocket? ;) .... for those not understanding this, check GatorGreg's other threads and his adventures with hauling water under his seat. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

fabianfred wrote: A hard diamond coating like they use on cars to protect them has its points, but it will still look dirty easily and need a polish.
I assume you're guessing on this....no it won't ....dirt slides off a polymer almost instantaneously . If you are international, try meguires NXT.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mr Sheen I say
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I use Novus #1 for cleaning both the windshield and the plastics. It works great and lasts. It puts a coating on that makes getting the bugs off easier, and washing the bikes is easier. I bought a gallon of it as a refill so that I wouldn't run out. I also have the #2 and #3 of it. They work for light scratches, like when you ride through some bushes, or get some light gravel scrapes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Smee

Post by Smee »

Thumbs up for Mr Sheen. Also try Soft Soap for general washing. A mild degreaser usually used to wash paintwork prior to painting. Quid a bottle from Home Bargains. (In UK)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Furniture pollish will make a smeary mess out of your visor or windscreen and once you put it on it takes a lot of work to get it all back off. Don't do it. Use Plexus which is made for the job and takes the same amount of time to put on.
http://www.amazon.com/Plexus-Spray-Clea ... rds=plexus
And do not use regular paper towels as they will scratch your expensive visor and windscreen. Use only optical wipes with the Plexus such as Photex scanner wipes.
http://www.amazon.com/Photex-Scanner-Wi ... nner+wipes
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I use eyeglass cleaner on my visor. My local optometrist refills my bottle for $3.00. A refill lasts about 2 - 3 months. Cheap insurance and no smearing or scratching. :D :D
Glasseye

Post by Glasseye »

Long ago when I worked in the bush, my morning job was to clean and polish the bubble on the helicopter. (a Bell 47G like they used in MASH)
We kept a bottle of Pledge in the helicopter at all times. It had to be the "Lemon Fresh" Pledge, otherwise the pilot got all pissed off.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Pledge somewhat works for me to reduce fog build up on my visor.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS