2014 Honda Forza 300 Won't Start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

2014 Honda Forza 300 Won't Start

Post by davenowherejones »

My Honda Forza 300 will not start. It is on the genre stand. I turn the key. I grab the left brake. I push the start button. It turns over but it will not start. I last rode the scooter on September first.

Has the gas gone bad in that little time?

Dave
Hope, BC, Canada
dadragon
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2014 Honda Forza 300 Won't Start

Post by dadragon »

Waranty i guess.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dadragon wrote:Waranty i guess.
I bought it used. How long is the warranty?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

davenowherejones wrote:My Honda Forza 300 will not start. It is on the CENTER stand. I turn the key. I grab the left brake. I push the start button. It turns over but it will not start. I last rode the scooter on September first.

Has the gas gone bad in that little time?

Dave
Hope, BC, Canada
AUTOCORRECT SUCKS
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

You wouldn't have happened to hit the kill switch by accident maybe? I've done that already and it took me a while to figure out that I bumped the switch.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

waybar wrote:You wouldn't have happened to hit the kill switch by accident maybe? I've done that already and it took me a while to figure out that I bumped the switch.
Yup.......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

waybar wrote:You wouldn't have happened to hit the kill switch by accident maybe? I've done that already and it took me a while to figure out that I bumped the switch.
Been there. Also done the panic at the petrol pump when it won't start, without realising that the side stand was still down.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

You all make me feel so much better. :D :D :D :D :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK on the kill switch. If the kill switch is on then the motor will not even turn over. The motor turns over but is probably not getting any gas or the gas is bad. It is about 7 degrees C right now. It is supposed to be warmer in a few days. I might charge the battery some and try later. Or I might suck the gas out and put fresh stuff in.

Just got home from the eye doctor so my pupils are real big.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mister Paul wrote:
Been there. Also done the panic at the petrol pump when it won't start, without realising that the side stand was still down.
Side stand is up.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mister Paul wrote:
I had that problem when I was trying to get out of the way of the local police.

A car was in the ditch.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK, Thanks for all the suggestions. The FORZA RUNS. I charged up the battery a little more and cranked the hell out of it. It started.

Does taking the key out so that the key magnets are far away actually help?

I probably took a year of life from the starter. I am not sure how much the 7 degrees C actually mattered. The oil seemed to flow from the dipstick. Needs an oil change.

I am in withdrawal and its only been a dozen days since I rode last. March is going to be agony.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

davenowherejones wrote:OK, Thanks for all the suggestions. The FORZA RUNS. I charged up the battery a little more and cranked the hell out of it. It started.

I probably took a year of life from the starter. I am not sure how much the 7 degrees C actually mattered. The oil seemed to flow from the dipstick. Needs an oil change.

I am in withdrawal and its only been a dozen days since I rode last. March is going to be agony.
The temp may have an effect. It would if the motor was carbureted, but would think the fuel injection would make the starting easier in cold weather. Haven't tried my Forza at temps much below upper 40'sF. You might try laying a lighted 100 watt light bulb (or even 75 watt) under the scooter below the oil sump and draping a blanket over the scooter to help contain the heat within the engine compartment. Might help.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SteveP wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:OK, Thanks for all the suggestions. The FORZA RUNS. I charged up the battery a little more and cranked the hell out of it. It started.

The temp may have an effect. It would if the motor was carbureted, but would think the fuel injection would make the starting easier in cold weather. Haven't tried my Forza at temps much below upper 40'sF. You might try laying a lighted 100 watt light bulb (or even 75 watt) under the scooter below the oil sump and draping a blanket over the scooter to help contain the heat within the engine compartment. Might help.
I wonder if anyone makes a dipstick electric oil heater? Trying Google next.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When my Forza has sat for a week or two it needs a bit of throttle to start.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:When my Forza has sat for a week or two it needs a bit of throttle to start.
Yeah, that helped as well. I am wiring in a socket to put a 2 watt solar charger on the battery for all winter until March. I took the seat off to get my head in to see the battery. I am not sure if I will re-attach that stupid little barely functioning strut back on the seat. I want to look to see if the seat can be made to open further with a bit of grinding.

It was -5C here but it has warmed up to +5C today with a forecast of 50 mm of rain for the next 24 hrs.
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I hook up a battery tender to mine over the cold months and don't disconnect it until warmer weather. I don't ride during the winter months. These batteries like to have a full charge.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'll be interested in your experiments with the seat. So far, the seat cover opening for the oddly shaped storage compartment is the only flaw in a great machine, but I find it glaringly annoying (along with the helmet hanger - PCX has Forza beat hands down in these two departments).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

The oddly shaped storage compartment is a small sacrifice to have that "ride-in" feel and low seat height of this great machine. IMO
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

GeorgeSK wrote:I'll be interested in your experiments with the seat. So far, the seat cover opening for the oddly shaped storage compartment is the only flaw in a great machine, but I find it glaringly annoying (along with the helmet hanger - PCX has Forza beat hands down in these two departments).
What's up with the helmet hanger? I rarely use it as there's normally plenty of space under the seat or in the topbox, but if that's all full it's a useful addition so that I don't have to carry my helmet around with me.