Valve adjustment.. How necessary ??

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Valve adjustment.. How necessary ??

Post by easyrider »

After 500 miles is it really necessary.. I suppose that after a break in period the wear will change tolerances by virtue of logic.. However, I have yet to see in my experience valves go out of tolerance or where it measured a significant amount of change in gap.With today's oil and factory machining it is highly unlikely anything will change much. Be interesting to know if anyone on here DIY guys have seen any significant wear /gap changes ?. Pretty sure Honda wants to play it by the book and feed the wolf..(Dealer)
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Re: Valve adjustment.. How necessary ??

Post by j.d.b. »

Theres a thread around here about someone's bike stalling at lights until it was warmed up. Turned out be valves too tight. Definitely worth checking a couple times to at least see if theres a trend. Valves and seats wear. Some more than others.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

j.d.b. wrote:Theres a thread around here about someone's bike stalling at lights until it was warmed up. Turned out be valves too tight. Definitely worth checking a couple times to at least see if theres a trend. Valves and seats wear. Some more than others.
After only 500 miles ??wow Todays hardened valve seats and valves sure is unusual??
Don't mind the checking the valves but taking off the Tupperware PITA..sooo easy to break clips and things..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My bike is 2 years old - always started 1st time every time 365/days yr, gives excellent fuel economy so if the valves are out then it's performing just fine.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

easyrider wrote:
j.d.b. wrote:Theres a thread around here about someone's bike stalling at lights until it was warmed up. Turned out be valves too tight. Definitely worth checking a couple times to at least see if theres a trend. Valves and seats wear. Some more than others.
After only 500 miles ??wow Todays hardened valve seats and valves sure is unusual??
Don't mind the checking the valves but taking off the Tupperware PITA..sooo easy to break clips and things..
The point was to check them at least twice to see if there's a trend. They wear, hardened or not. As I mentioned, some wear more than others. You don't have to check them. You could just go till there's trouble(or not). It's your world. Honda made the bike. They recommend checking them at 500 miles. They likely know what they're talking about. I didn't check mine at 500. I will before the start of this season, however, just so I know exactly where they're at.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:After 500 miles is it really necessary.
Yes.
Although I think there's very few dealers will actually bother.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We had the dealer do the first valve adjustment at 600 miles. Then we checked and adjusted them ourselves the second time (very little out of spec). We have not checked them since then. My wife's bike has 13K miles on it and runs great. Mine has around 5,500 miles and runs fine. Check and adjust the first 2 times, and then only if you are having problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

My bike has 13000 miles and I have just checked clearances. I don't believe they have been checked before as there was no evidence of plastics ever being removed (screwdriver marks on screws, the odd broken tab etc.). Exhaust valve was bang on, whilst inlet valve was 0.002" too tight i.e. 2 thousandths (or pretty negligible).

I won't be checking valves too often.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Robbie wrote:My bike has 13000 miles and I have just checked clearances. I don't believe they have been checked before as there was no evidence of plastics ever being removed (screwdriver marks on screws, the odd broken tab etc.). Exhaust valve was bang on, whilst inlet valve was 0.002" too tight i.e. 2 thousandths (or pretty negligible).

I won't be checking valves too often.

No shit, if it's running right it probably is right.

Doesn't sit comfortably with the fluero-anxious though.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

you you wrote: No shit, if it's running right it probably is right.
"Probably" being the operative word! lol
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Robbie wrote:
you you wrote: No shit, if it's running right it probably is right.
"Probably" being the operative word! lol

:D

Well it is until it isn't is always my view.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Did it at 1000 miles and found both intake and exhaust valves tight. I guess initial" wear in" dropped the gap to zero. However my engine was running fine . Set lash correctly and still running fine.. very forgiving motor.