Puncture

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PT63

Re: Puncture

Post by PT63 »

rainburg :- The original tyres only had 5000 miles on them as i only use the bike to commute to work, so it was the nail and split in the rear tyre that forced the change. I changed the front just so it matched the rear, also because i just did'nt really trust the stock tyres in the rain.
In Briton we have roundabout's (i don't know if you have them over there) which are magnet's for oil, mud, water and any other road dirt which makes them dangerous in the wet expecially the way people drive these days. Once the new tyre's wear in i'll let you know what i think of them :)
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Glad to hear you got 5,000 miles on the rear tire/tyre PT63. I had the impression that they might only be good for about 4,000 miles, and I admit I'm not looking forward to getting them off and changed. It would be nice if they worked just like a bicycle with quick release and small nylon bicycle tire levers;) Then I could take care of it in just a few minutes :lol: Was the tire split due to the nail, or was it just the tire wearing out? I'm looking forward to a report on the Michelins because we definitely have a positive view of the brand and they'd be first on our replacement list unless they were much more expensive or poorly reviewed.

We do have a few roundabouts in my area. They are relatively new, and I admit that I didn't like them much at first. Once you get used to them however they seem to work pretty well and they've helped remove some traffic backups. I think they are rare on this side of the pond however.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
PT63

Post by PT63 »

The split was probably caused by pot hole's, all the roads here have more than there fare share.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

BUGGER :cry:

Last night at work I managed to get two flats by backing over a board with nails in that had blown over. It was dark and I couldn't see it until the headlight shone on it but by then it was too late. I thought by some miracle I had got away with it, but this morning sure enough the rear had only half pressure and the front was completely flat.

I'm getting Michelin City Grips on Monday or Tuesday which is good - I'm looking forward to these especially as my employer is going to pay for them :D But the rear IRC only had about 1300 miles on it and the front 5650 ish.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Awesome, how'd you convince your employer to pay? Do you ride the scoot for work? That's a sweeeet deal. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

It was there fault for putting the stupid board where it could cause this to happen in the first place. They should have moved it somewhere out of the way. I had to drive into work this morning in the cage at vast expense (mpg and parking). I told them what had happened and they've admitted fault.

I'm just glad that PT63 put me wise to the City Grips - Next time hopefully, I'll be able to get the Pirelli Diablos for comparison - but those Michelins look god for the wet.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Ah, I misunderstood you -- I thought you ran over it at speed in the road. :lol:

I think I'm going to try to get my hands on some Diablos, but they seem to be hard to come by.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I've just ordered some Dyna Beads (kit 9) to go with the new tyres :)
wawctw
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by wawctw »

Interesting discussion on tires for the PCX. I use ride on in all of my tubeless motorcycle tires. It has been proven in tests to seal a huge number of drywall screws and hold all of its air. If you have a puncture on the road a properly filled tire with the correct amount of ride on will seal it in mere seconds saving your life no doubt. In addition it will keep
Your tires in balance as long as the tire lasts. It gives me that little more peace of mind while riding and I am frequently on the highway at speeds over 70 mph for hours at a time. Check it out for yourself you can buy from their website, Amazon or Cycle Gear in the USA.
wawctw

Post by wawctw »

AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

+1 I posted a link to Ride-On on this site nearly three years ago. I would not ride without it. This is nothing like Slime. I wouldn't waste my money on Slime or Dyna Beads.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Interesting... I've been using liquid sealant on my tubeless mountain bike tires for years. Every 6-12months I have to take the tire off and clean out the sealant that hardens over time. Is that the same with ride-on?
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

No. Ride-On is a one time application for the life of the tire.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

AustinPCX wrote:No. Ride-On is a one time application for the life of the tire.
Wow. Really, are you sure??!! Sorry about the mistrust, but I've been cleaning sealant for years. Are you telling me that I could have saved myself a lot of effort?

Have you opened and checked yourself after a year of riding?
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

Just replaced the tire today after 9 months with it the tire. Looks the same as when it went in. Wipes away cleanly and easily with a damp rag. Says right on the bottle "One treatment good for the life of the tire"
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Dang o_O :o :?
wawctw

Post by wawctw »

Austin P C X yes as I said before Ride On is great. I have used it for years in several bikes and I think that my tires due to being well balanced lasted much longer.