New Front Michelin

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

New Front Michelin

Post by davenowherejones »

I finally gave up on my ScootSmart front tire. It was still working well but getting kind of skinny & d-shaped.

It took a little looking but we found a safe spot to lift just behind the radiator. The pinch bolt was removed and we tried to get a hex driver in the axle. It is a 17 mm I think but we had to grind a few thousandths off of the driver to get it in. A normal size wrench was put on and nothing moved. A quick look around and the breaker bar was used with force. Tight.

The ScootSmart was removed with a nice motorcycle tire machine. A Michelin 120/70-14 City Grip was put on with a little difficulty. I would not want to do this with tire spoons. The axle was lubed and the wheel re-installed. Time to ride.

It was raining so I rode around the Hope Airport a few times to break-in the tire. I hit a few gravel roads at the airport to go through a few puddles. The new tire is softer riding with the thicker tread than my worn out tire. The steering is faster and lighter with the round profile vs the d-shaped old one.

Everything was good so I hit the highway to go shopping in the next town (Chilliwack). It was still raining but quit when I got to Chilliwack.

I had absolutely no problems with the tire. The rear City Grip is about half? way done at 11,000 km. I am hoping it lasts all summer.

I want to replace the rubber tire valves with right angle metal tire valves. I the want to put on a cheap Chinese TPMS

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motorcycle-Tire- ... S6&vxp=mtr

Has anyone used a TPMS on a Forza?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New Front Michelin

I went from Hope to Merritt to Logan Lake to Ashcroft and back to Hope today. 417 km (259 miles). Half of the ride was in the rain.

The brand new Michelin front worked perfectly. The old Scootsmart had a definite wobble in it.

2 live deer, two live RCMP cars, no problems other than cold & wet. It took 10 hours with stops for a net of only 40 kmph or 25 mph. Too many tea breaks & pea breaks. Boy is the Forza slow or what?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

davenowherejones wrote:Boy is the Forza slow or what?
Just as quick as any other 280cc scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Hank

Post by Hank »

I installed the Steelmate TP-90 on my 2015 Forza. I like that it's small, direct wired (12v), external DIY sensors and gets good reviews.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Hank wrote:I installed the Steelmate TP-90 on my 2015 Forza. I like that it's small, direct wired (12v), external DIY sensors and gets good reviews.
Did you use the factory valve stems or right angle valve stems. There is some concern that the extra weight of the TPMS cap may pull the factory valve stems out. Personally I doubt it on a slow speed scooter. A 200 kmph sport bike maybe?
Hank

Post by Hank »

Hopefully shouldn't be a concern. I used the external (screw on) sensors. No change to the OEM valve stem required. Lookup the Steelmate TP-90 and you'll see what the sensors look like.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

davenowherejones wrote:
Hank wrote:I installed the Steelmate TP-90 on my 2015 Forza. I like that it's small, direct wired (12v), external DIY sensors and gets good reviews.
Did you use the factory valve stems or right angle valve stems. There is some concern that the extra weight of the TPMS cap may pull the factory valve stems out. Personally I doubt it on a slow speed scooter. A 200 kmph sport bike maybe?
Seriously? How would a rotating mass move inward to pull a valve stem? Ever heard of Physics?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Oyabun wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
Seriously? How would a rotating mass move inward to pull a valve stem? Ever heard of Physics?
Maybe the extra weight would move outwards and to one side and thus pull on it - but just guessing as no idea if there is a problem or not. If there is a few 10's grams extra then that may prove to be an issue after a long time.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Oyabun wrote:
davenowherejones wrote:
Yeah, sorry about that, what I meant to say is that the valve stem gets pushed in but lets the air out. But hey I have been dyslexic all of my life. I have difficulty in determining how to 'tighten' a nut, I have to figure it out every time and even then I get it wrong sometimes. I want a new brain, anyone have one they are not using?
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Righty tighty, lefty loosy
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Righty tighty, lefty loosy
I had a really bad BOAC flight when I was 2 years old, super high fever, wasn't supposed to live. It also left me with the inability to determine my right from my left reliably. After 55 years I get it correct most of the time but I have to think about it for a few seconds sometimes.

Someone panic yelling "TURN RIGHT NOW" might not get what they expect.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

I'll have to remember this if we ever go riding together lol
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015