A trip to Gettysburg

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

A trip to Gettysburg

Post by honkerman »

I would have added this to my other scooto-vlog thread, but this is unique enough to warrant its own.

Blog entry is here:

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/07 ... -trip.html

Or you can just watch the YouTube video

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Re: A trip to Gettysburg

Post by Lanesplitter »

Familiar sights. Antietam Battlefield is a nice ride south from there.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Great video.. Been there several times and a great motor ride..especially in the fall. See any Ghosts ??
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If you stand in the battlefield long enough you will feel the ghosts. It is a weird feeling. My wife and I have been there a few times and every time I go there I think of all of the thousands of needless deaths there. From our perspective now we can see that the Civil War was going to happen no matter what they tried to do to stop it because there was such a difference in each sides' viewpoint of how things should be. Neither the North nor the South wanted that war, but the South was being forced to change a lifestyle that had been there since before the founding of the United States. That is hard for everyone, everywhere. I see no other outcome to the Civil War because the North had all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages that the South had. But death is final, and if you shoot at someone they will shoot back, so once it started it had to end in bloodshed. Still tens of thousands lost their lives. That was such a waste of lives.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Did you have visions of charging, on your trusty steed--I hope you had a horse tail, at least, taped to the back of the grab bar of your PCX-- into the thick of, and against, Pickett's screaming rebel horde.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'd like to go, what's the address?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:If you stand in the battlefield long enough you will feel the ghosts. It is a weird feeling. My wife and I have been there a few times and every time I go there I think of all of the thousands of needless deaths there. From our perspective now we can see that the Civil War was going to happen no matter what they tried to do to stop it because there was such a difference in each sides' viewpoint of how things should be. Neither the North nor the South wanted that war, but the South was being forced to change a lifestyle that had been there since before the founding of the United States. That is hard for everyone, everywhere. I see no other outcome to the Civil War because the North had all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages that the South had. But death is final, and if you shoot at someone they will shoot back, so once it started it had to end in bloodshed. Still tens of thousands lost their lives. That was such a waste of lives.

It was political like ever other war. Saps die or kill when told to or allowed to when made "legal".
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:I'd like to go, what's the address?
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. If you're not fond of the heat, it's very nice in the Autumn, but muddy in the spring. Lots of history and there are resources at the visitors' center.

http://visitgettysburgpa.com/
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

flyingzonker wrote:Did you have visions of charging, on your trusty steed--I hope you had a horse tail, at least, taped to the back of the grab bar of your PCX-- into the thick of, and against, Pickett's screaming rebel horde.
hah...no, no horsetail. And I was a little distracted by that crazy little scooter/car thing.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Mel46 wrote:If you stand in the battlefield long enough you will feel the ghosts. It is a weird feeling. My wife and I have been there a few times and every time I go there I think of all of the thousands of needless deaths there. From our perspective now we can see that the Civil War was going to happen no matter what they tried to do to stop it because there was such a difference in each sides' viewpoint of how things should be. Neither the North nor the South wanted that war, but the South was being forced to change a lifestyle that had been there since before the founding of the United States. That is hard for everyone, everywhere. I see no other outcome to the Civil War because the North had all of the advantages and none of the disadvantages that the South had. But death is final, and if you shoot at someone they will shoot back, so once it started it had to end in bloodshed. Still tens of thousands lost their lives. That was such a waste of lives.
That was very well said and very true, but I think the North just forced the hand too too much and pushed the South into it. Abe Lincoln if he was a really great president should have been able to use his greatness and skills to negotiate a better outcome than war. There were many alternative ways to end slavery and the economic disagreements that existed in that time.Abe Lincoln in my view was a terrible president who presided over the bloodiest war that this country has ever seen combined. That's not greatness ..that's deplorable. Its funny that England and France etc ended their slavery policies without firing a shot. Why couldn't we have done the same.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. If you're not fond of the heat, it's very nice in the Autumn, but muddy in the spring. Lots of history and there are resources at the visitors' center.

You've got me, I don't know if you are pulling my chain or not.

Gettysburg address?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

Gettysburg address?
Well, I'll be honest, my mind was so full, I missed the pun. Lol.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
you you wrote:

Gettysburg address?

It wasn't the best :D :D . I'll try harder next time
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:
you you wrote: You've got me, I don't know if you are pulling my chain or not.
Gettysburg address?
It wasn't the best :D :D . I'll try harder next time
Must be a slow day for me as well. I had to read it 3 or times before in sunk in. :roll: :lol: You gotta to better than that 2u's :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(