Close call w/ raccoon - brake question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Timmygp

Close call w/ raccoon - brake question

Post by Timmygp »

Still very inexperienced rider - I'm going 60 down a country road today, this raccoon darts out across the road- missed him by a few feet!!! My issue is I saw it but I didn't even have time to get my hand on the brake lever.... Should I be riding with my hand on the left lever at all times???? Scared the shit outta me - what's common when u hit a small animal, I'm guessing a good chance of a crash at 60 mph....
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Close call w/ raccoon - brake question

Post by Taz »

Ive run over rabbits on a 250 and havent crashed. But have crashed when trying to swerve around them. So just squash them rather than swerve! But we have big Kangaroos that can jump in front of you, then freeze in your headlight. So I try not to ride after dark in rural areas. In a car you can turn off your headlights and allow them to jump away but there is no off switch on my PCX light :(
Cooley_PCX_Rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cooley_PCX_Rider »

Hit a full grown Raccoon mom one night. Killed her directly. I was on a kawasaki Nomad 1600 though.
Would hit rather then brake or swerve.
PCX 150 Rider from East Central Illinois in the middle of the United States of America

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

i can grab my brakes quick but i dont feel the brakes on the PCX are that good.

if its small enough to run over, its prob best to though its not nice.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

I rest four fingers on my back brake lever and two on my front brake lever at all times,
Dont know if its the right why to do it but seems right for me

If its a small animal and you cant brake in time without risking comming off then dont,
I love all animals but love my life more
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I always keep two fingers on the combined brake and my left thumb near the horn while riding in the city, just in case. Glad it all ended without major problems ;) .
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

yep, i do 4 fingers on the rear brake (habit from a clutch) and 2 fingers for the front. using 4 is better but find it awkard now lol
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I don't keep my hands on the brakes. I've hit a cat, possums, squirrels... The worst is cleaning the mess afterwards.

Unless the animal is more than 20 lbs, if you can't stop, it's better to hit it than risk dumping your bike and getting hurt.

I'd say you would have much less chance of crashing after hitting a coon at 60 than at a lower speed. You'll go so fast that the poor thing will get obliterated, leaving less solid bone to run over after the initial impact.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

So Cascanciu, is Spain like Italy where cars and bikes seem to use their horn instead of the indicators, especially in Milan and Rome!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:So Cascanciu, is Spain like Italy where cars and bikes seem to use their horn instead of the indicators, especially in Milan and Rome!
Not that I've seen. The standard of driving in continental Europe is much better than the uk in general.
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

Im glad everythings ok Timmy. You will have to pardon me i love making funny pics when i get bored...

yes that raccoon is flicking you off hahaha
Attachments
Timmys day out.jpg
Timmys day out.jpg (91.1 KiB) Viewed 1742 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Awesome
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

HappyScoot
Thats hilarious!
Timmygp

Post by Timmygp »

Lol - that is some funny shit!!!!
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

qed wrote:
Taz wrote:So Cascanciu, is Spain like Italy where cars and bikes seem to use their horn instead of the indicators, especially in Milan and Rome!
Not that I've seen. The standard of driving in continental Europe is much better than the uk in general.
I haven't ever driven in the UK so I can't compare. Do you really think so?. Why?. I have driven in Oz and in Indonesia (they are RHD there too). In Oz I have to say that the driving is quite correct, and... quite well enforced by their police, which I believe has to do with it. Indonesia, go figure.
Not exactly. The Italians have copyrighted their way of driving and we are not allowed to copy it :lol: . People do use blinkers here, problem is, sometimes you'll come across someone who doesn't use mirrors!. Besides, I live in an area with lots of junctions with no traffic light, so best to make them hear you if you suspect they haven't seen you. We do not use the horn ala Italian :lol: , but it's likely that we use it more than you do over there.

In fact, there are noticeable differences in how we drive, from north to south and east to west, but I concur with qed that we do drive well. This is still a manual gearbox country, we have heaps of mountains (good motorways), changing weather conditions, and a very efficient traffic police just in case we feel tempted to go wild. Watch those when you move here, qed, the guys in the dark green uniform with "Guardia Civil de Tráfico" marked cars.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Timmygp, good to have you back! I had wondered how you made it through hurricane (Isaac?) Now, you're messing with coons? :lol: Phew....you missed him....or he missed you? Either way, Glad you're okay ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

happyscooter, Keep those coming!! Refreshing. Little bit of this & a little bit of that makes for a great forum. That was "You" on this forum! Cheers :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You