MICHELIN City Grip Tires

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: MICHELIN City Grip Tires

Post by eggman »

I love my Pirellis
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Big difeence between front and rear IRCs, the fronts last ages the rears less so.
My IRC front was still on the scooter at 20,000 miles but rears were done in around 5,000 miles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

IRC at 3000 kms now, I feel like it's finally gripping better compared to it's first 2k kms from the dealer.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2022
Color: Red

Post by Beachboy »

I have a reminder on my computer to check tire pressure once a month. I always find pressure down 20%.
Life's a beach in Thailand
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Scoot Commute »

In regards to tyre wear what is the general accepted limit? (Particularly the rear)

In Australia I understand it is either 1.5 -2 mm minimum tread, that seem a lot more conservative than the manufactures mould wear tabs at the bottom of the tread which appear a lot lower down?
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Rick54 wrote:I'm looking at purchasing a new PCX150 in the next few months, and would like the dealer to swap out the OEM tires for the Michelin City Grips right at the get-go. Going through this forum, I got the impression that the front tire is different in size than the rear? Could someone explain to me why this is, and what size City Grip should I ask the dealer to swap the front and rear tires out for rather than going with the OEM tires? Or will he know what size to put on the bike?
Sounds like a great way to waste money. Also looks like a rider that has no clue as to what he is doing, or why... I wonder how he came up with this idea ?

While the Michelin City Grip tires have a good reputation, and I would consider them myself when the time came to repalce the tires... I would absolutely ride the scooter with the stock tires for a while before I would consider changing them. Given this post, I doubt this guy has the skill or knowledge to determine the performance difference between tires. REALITY: One must be a fairly good rider before he can safely approach the limits of the tires that are on the scooter.

Mike
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Nothing wrong with stock tyres - although other tyres may be slightly more grippey (tm) but some have said they found little difference. Best take a look at what the dealer has to offer as some new PCX's now ship with CG's so don't let the dealer pull a fast one!
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

JetPilot wrote:REALITY: One must be a fairly good rider before he can safely approach the limits of the tires that are on the scooter.

Mike
That stands to reason in ideal conditions only. The real world isn't like that all the time.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

It seems people have issues with IRC tyres in warm dry conditions and many people have had no problems in wet and very cold conditions over many years riding - it varies. People come off at low speed in warm climates and yet several people have posted here (4 or 5 come to mind at least including me) have had no issues riding all year round in very cold and wet weather and pot-holed and dirty roads. I still believe it comes down to how people ride.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

iceman wrote:It seems people have issues with IRC tyres in warm dry conditions and many people have had no problems in wet and very cold conditions over many years riding - it varies. People come off at low speed in warm climates and yet several people have posted here (4 or 5 come to mind at least including me) have had no issues riding all year round in very cold and wet weather and pot-holed and dirty roads. I still believe it comes down to how people ride.
YOU CAN NOT FIX STUPID: The salesman at the motorcycle dealership told me he can easily tell the customers that " know it all ", that can not be told anything, and that are reckless. He said he feels bad selling bikes to these kind of people, because they will most likely go out and get badly hurt... But it is part of his job, he does not get to choose who buys a bike or not...

Do not confuse this with new / inexperienced bikers, they can actually have very good judgement even if skills are not there yet. A smart guy will ride cautiously, listen to every bit of advice he can find, and learn and develop skills quickly. Attitude is just as important as riding skills....

Mike
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JetPilot wrote:Attitude is just as important as riding skills....
Maintaining a good positive attitude towards safety (self-preservation) is probably the most important of all the riding skills ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong