rideing the pcx in the rain?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: rideing the pcx in the rain?

Post by WhiteNoise »

I own a Honda truck and my scoot.
Nice days, scoot. Nasty days, truck. That's one of the reasons I have both. However, I've been caught in the rain whilst riding and am surprised at how well WE Did the do Together.
If caught in the nastiness, I sing myself this and stay calm:
"Slow Down, You Move Tooo Fast....."
(I love music...any kinda music :D )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Simon0867
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Simon0867 »

I live in Scotland, if rain put me off riding I wouldn't be on the PCX much. I don't ride in snow, ice or very high winds, no two-wheeler is safe in those conditions. Never had a problem with the stock tyres, just take it slow, don't let cars intimidate you and concentrate. Enjoy !!
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

raito wrote: I got the rain-x plastic water repellant. I spray it on my windshield and helmet. Unfortunately I have not tested it enough in the rain to decide if it works or not. I think it works, but not amazingly..
I use the same and the water beads nicely on the visor. If there was something that made the rain sheet off the visor, that may be better as beading water drops are hard to see through.
Beachboy
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2022
Color: Red

Post by Beachboy »

Living in Phuket Thailand, I ride in the rain frequantly. I'm used to it. Pull over and put on the poncho when it starts. Visor is a must, of course.

The rain doesn't bother me, it's the insane Thai drivers that are the scary thing. Everyone speeds up in the rain! I'm not kidding. You don't get as wet if you get there sooner.

Thailand is the most dangerous place in the world to drive and Phuket is the worst place in Thailand. Rookie tourist drivers come and rent cheap bikes. There is a constant stream of wounded in line at all the Emergency Rooms.
Life's a beach in Thailand
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Chapel77 »

Simon0867 wrote:I live in Scotland, if rain put me off riding I wouldn't be on the PCX much. I don't ride in snow, ice or very high winds, no two-wheeler is safe in those conditions. Never had a problem with the stock tyres, just take it slow, don't let cars intimidate you and concentrate. Enjoy !!
High wind is the one thing that puts me off, don't mind rain, a bit frost, even a dusting of snow is ok, but when there is a gale blowing in from the North Sea, forget it!
Living the Honda Dream!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

High wind isn't a problem, just relax your grip on the bars and don't be tense in the arms.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

eggman wrote:I mean does it slip and slide all over the road?
Hi Eggman,

If you have to ask this question, then you do not have the knowledge or skills needed to ride in the rain. This can be learned, but get some more experience first. You are very likely to hurt yourself on wet roads if you are a new rider.

STATISTIC: Accidents DOUBLE in the rain, and being on a scooter, an accident is much more serious and worse than in a car.

Do not risk it, you just are not ready for this yet.

Mike
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

gn2 wrote:High wind isn't a problem, just relax your grip on the bars and don't be tense in the arms.

Have been riding for over 2 decades, so I'm fairly competent!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Can't agree with that comment (GN2) - the PCX is thrown from side to side in heavy wind - not a riders fault just a light bike with light load (I weigh about 77KG's and 6ft) - relaxing your grip and not tensing the arms will not stop the bike from being blown around, unless you weigh a great deal and are short which may make a difference, but when it's windy I have to slow down as it's the only real issue (besides tail-gaters) that causes grief. Can't understand otherwise how you say the pcx handles great in high winds if you relax.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

iceman wrote:Can't agree with that comment (GN2) - the PCX is thrown from side to side in heavy wind - not a riders fault just a light bike with light load (I weigh about 77KG's and 6ft) - relaxing your grip and not tensing the arms will not stop the bike from being blown around, unless you weigh a great deal and are short which may make a difference, but when it's windy I have to slow down as it's the only real issue (besides tail-gaters) that causes grief. Can't understand otherwise how you say the pcx handles great in high winds if you relax.

Spot on, doesn't matter how good a rider you are, a strong gust of wind can push you across your lane, that's why I limit riding in these conditions.
Living the Honda Dream!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Eggman, just to let you know, my wife and I have been caught by rain storms up your way a few times while out riding. We slowed down, took the curves a lot slower, and rode till we could find shelter. So, yes, the PCX can be ridden in the rain. Be careful of the oil and fuel deposits on the surface of the road, watch for potholes, and don't tailgate, and you should be able to make it to your destination.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:Can't agree with that comment (GN2) - the PCX is thrown from side to side in heavy wind - not a riders fault just a light bike with light load (I weigh about 77KG's and 6ft) - relaxing your grip and not tensing the arms will not stop the bike from being blown around, unless you weigh a great deal and are short which may make a difference, but when it's windy I have to slow down as it's the only real issue (besides tail-gaters) that causes grief. Can't understand otherwise how you say the pcx handles great in high winds if you relax.
I've ridden a PCX in 30-40mph crosswinds and was able to keep it on my chosen line without any major drama.
Relaxing your arms is key.
If your hands and arms are tense you can't steer as effectively.
If you can't react quickly enough you get moved off line.
Its really that simple.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

gn2 wrote:
I've ridden a PCX in 30-40mph crosswinds and was able to keep it on my chosen line without any major drama.
Relaxing your arms is key.
If your hands and arms are tense you can't steer as effectively.
If you can't react quickly enough you get moved off line.
Its really that simple.
Have to disagree with you on this one, it's not about relaxing or being able to react quickly enough, it is simple aerodynamics. A tall, light object being hit by a gust of wind will always be moved laterally. In the same way when counter steer or lean is applied, when the gust stops you will automatically move across again. Similar to cross winds when driving a car, doesn't matter how hard one holds the steering wheel, the car will be deflected from its intended line, the degree of which is more dependent on the aerodynamic efficiency of the car than the driver.
Living the Honda Dream!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You can disagree all you like, but its widely known to work.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

gn2 wrote:You can disagree all you like, but its widely known to work.
I will disagree with the statement of "it's a widely known to work', what is the source or sample size of this evidence based research?

Its a bit like claiming 'everyone knows' or 'everyone says' or 'everyone does'. Usually terms used to support an opinion when that opinion is challenged.

I am not claiming anything, just expressing my own personal experience!
Living the Honda Dream!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Chapel77 wrote:what is the source
Too many to list them all.
Here are a few to be going on with.

https://www.drivingtests.co.nz/resource ... ong-winds/

https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-r ... -crosswind

http://www.michaelpadway.com/riding-ski ... crosswinds

For me, it was something I was taught almost forty years ago during despatch rider training when I was in the Army.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

CROSSWINDS

The PCX is not bad in corsswinds... If you want something that really requires skill in crosswinds, try the tall Honda SH150i, or even worse a Super Tall Dual Sport, XR650L or CRF250L. The PCX will feel like it is on rails compared to dual sport bikes.

The solution is EASY, you need to be be very quick on countersteering when a crosswind hits you. How much you get moved or deflected dpends on how quick and skillful you are. Like anything else, riding in hard corsswind conditions is a skill. Some can deal with it eaisly, some will suck at it. The arms stiff or arms relaxed thing is total garbage, everyone is different, use what works best for you. Personally, the more the corsswinds, the more I am holding on and ready to put in instant corrections when needed. No wind is a much more relaxing ride. The bike does not know or care if you are tense or not... The only thing that matters is that you put the correct countersteering input to the bars quickly when needed.

Mike
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Last year when we had very strong winds (weather alerts) I found it almost dangerous riding at normal speeds when the side-wind caught - I was not tight on the controls but both me (not heavy at less than 80Kg's) and the bike were pushed either left or right which in congested traffic is dangerous. My clothing was not loose either so not much extra stuff for the wind to catch.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Chapel77 »

After riding for over 20 years, I believe I'm a fairly competent rider and will continue riding as I do. I'm lucky as I ride out with some DSA staff and I am more than happy to learn and follow their advice.

In regards to the links gn2 posted, I did have a quick scan through, not in depth as I'm too busy, but they suggest methods to reduce buffeting, but it cannot be eradicated, and that's my point. We each have our own methods of coping with high winds, which works for one may not work for another.

I appreciate I'm new to this forum and it sometimes takes a bit time to get a feeling of how people post, so I will respectively agree to disagree with certain opinions offered.
Living the Honda Dream!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Chapel77 wrote:
We each have our own methods of coping with high winds, which works for one may not work for another.
We see the same thing in flying airplanes, we teach very rigid adherence to procedures, rules, etc, but different pilots use different TECHNIQUE. Trying to force the same technique on everyone never works.

CROSSWINDS AND RELAXING

In no wind conditions, on an all day long ride, I will ride with one hand for a while, relax the other, move around etc.

I would NEVER ride my tall dual sport with one hand in strong gusty crosswinds. I hold onto the bars solidly ready to make an instant and fairly aggressive countersteer when needed. The " more relaxed the better " thing for crosswinds is total garbage. You obviously do not want to be so stiff and afraid that you do not make steering corrections, but this is an entirely different issue...

Mike