Our Red 2011 Honda PCX125 & Rack (Morris, Illinois)

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

vanbibj
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: Red

Post by vanbibj »

Howdy everyone! My wife and I just joined this forum and this is our first post. Here's a couple pics of our 2011 Honda PCX125 which we bought new in May of 2012 from BBK Motorsport Honda in Elgin, IL(they are some of the friendliest guys on the planet). I had initially bought this scooter for my wife but after riding it myself, I fell in love with this two-wheel-man-toy. I ride it way more than she does! We probably won't do any serious mods to it but we did buy a GPS mount and an iTube Motorsports Sound System by Firehouse Technology both of which mount to the handlebars and neither of which are shown in the pictures below. I think I'd like to get the taller genuine Honda windscreen eventually, but I'll probably wait until next year when I buy a companion PCX150. Then we'll have his & her scooters. Alright, enough jabber, here's a few pics of the scooter and of the hitch mounted scooter rack we use to transport the scooter for maintenance and so that we can take the scooter along on vacation trips:

The hitch mounted scooter/motorcycle rack and associated ratchet straps and soft loops were purchased at:
http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600-mo ... hauler.htm

The class III 2" trailer hitch mounted to our 2010 Chevy Traverse along with a 4-pole wiring harness and miscellaneous accessories were purchased at:
http://www.etrailer.com

The LED light bar that is mounted to the scooter rack was purchased at:
http://www.ledunderbody.com/49-Inch-Com ... t-Bar.aspx

Peace and happy scootering,
Jim & Crissy
(Morris, Illinois)
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Our Red 2011 Honda PCX125 & Rack (Morris, Illinois)

Post by happyscooter »

very cool so happy for ya. the pcx is the best toy ive ever purchased. and thanks for the links on the rack and stuff i may eventually get one of those to haul my pcx around.
vanbibj

Post by vanbibj »

thanks happyscooter
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to you and your wife! That's a nice hitch rig you got there. I like the Extra lighting too. I've been trying to see & count all your straps/tiedowns in your pics. So here come my questions: How many do you use all together? Did you secure the bike itself to your vehicle too? Also, what chock is that, did you purchase that separate & install it yourself? and what is the "interior" wheel width of the chock? Our stock front tires are 3 1/2" wide, I think?? Don't mean to be a PIA, (ha, ha...fibbing. I admit I am, and curious as well) so please....do tell ;)

PIA = paininass (for those who don't know these secret letters like I didn't. Recently I bought a little spiral booklet in Hallmark called "texting dictionary of acronyms" to clue me in. Amazing, you guys should take a peep. I could probably cut this post down to Twenty words utilizing their shorties. Really? Some of you would appreciate that. Hmmm.....wonder who :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome to you and your wife! That's a nice hitch rig you got there. I like the Extra lighting too. I've been trying to see & count all your straps/tiedowns in your pics. So here come my questions: How many do you use all together? Did you secure the bike itself to your vehicle too? Also, what chock is that, did you purchase that separate & install it yourself? and what is the "interior" wheel width of the chock? Our stock front tires are 3 1/2" wide, I think?? Don't mean to be a PIA, (ha, ha...fibbing. I admit I am, and curious as well) so please....do tell ;)

PIA = paininass (for those who don't know these secret letters like I didn't. Recently I bought a little spiral booklet in Hallmark called "texting dictionary of acronyms" to clue me in. Amazing, you guys should take a peep. I could probably cut this post down to Twenty words utilizing their shorties. Really? Some of you would appreciate that. Hmmm.....wonder who :D
NFI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Let me give ya'll the name of this helpful spiral: "Texting Dictionary of Acronyms"
For qed, ....yeah, I bet! :lol: Odd, that one's not listed. Be nice now, PRW :lol:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Quod Erat Demonstrandum (I did Latin at school)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Q.E.D. a latin phrase meaning "that which was to be: Demonstrated." "The abbreviation thus signals the completion of the proof."
:roll: had to look that one up :D I learned something!
Off to work on scoot now~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>~~~~~~~~~~~>~~~~~~~~~~~> will learn some more. Bback
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Quod Erat Demonstrandum (I did Latin at school)

As a first language no doubt
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Romanes eunt domus?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:Romanes eunt domus?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350281258.717139.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350281258.717139.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I have a gweat fwiend in Wome called Biggus Dickus...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome to the forums!

Nice rack ( :lol: ), and nice bike. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
vanbibj

Post by vanbibj »

maddiedog wrote:Welcome to the forums!

Nice rack ( :lol: ), and nice bike. :D
thanks maddiedog.....hey I like that trailer setup you've got.....I may go with that once I get the PCX150 next year......do you think I'll be able to fit the his & her scooters side by side on it or would I need a wider trailer?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Oh definitely. We've fit 4 scooters on a 4x8 trailer before. The PCX is long though, so you could probably fit 3 PCXes side by side, with the one in the middle facing backwards.

I got my trailer from Harbor Freight on sale for under $300. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
vanbibj

Post by vanbibj »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome to you and your wife! That's a nice hitch rig you got there. I like the Extra lighting too. I've been trying to see & count all your straps/tiedowns in your pics. So here come my questions: How many do you use all together? Did you secure the bike itself to your vehicle too? Also, what chock is that, did you purchase that separate & install it yourself? and what is the "interior" wheel width of the chock? Our stock front tires are 3 1/2" wide, I think?? Don't mean to be a PIA, (ha, ha...fibbing. I admit I am, and curious as well) so please....do tell ;)

thanks WhiteNoise......you're no PIA, I appreciate the interest and questions.....I use four soft loops in conjunction with four ratchet straps.....I do not attach the bike itself to the vehicle.....I was leery at first probably as you are as to how secure it would actually be but in fact, I really probably only need to use the two front straps as it's amazing how well they secure the scooter to the rack in conjunction with the wheel chock(which by the way came with the purchase of the rack)....however I use the two straps in back(soft loops are attached to the rear shocks) just to be extra sure as I'd hate to see my scoot doing cartwheels down the interstate :lol: Trust me, once you secure those straps, your scoot isn't going anywhere. I've been up to 75 mph and have hit potholes and the scooter stays secure without any problem at all. As far as your question about the interior wheel width of the chock it runs from about 3" at its smallest point up to about 8-1'4" at it's widest point so the front wheel of the PCX rests all snuggled in very nicely.....length wise the wheel chock is adjustable so it will accomodate alot of different sized wheels. However, the entire rack is only rated up to 600 lbs. so you're limited that way as to what size bike you can put on it. I can't even go that high as the max tongue weight for my hitch is 500 lbs.. So once I account for the weight of the entire rack setup which is about 98 lbs, I've got just slightly over 400 lbs that I can safely put on. The PCX125 is roughly 280 lbs and then with my helmet and other tools, & equipment under the seat it may total 290-295 so I've got 100 lbs to spare as far as not exceeding my tongue weight. The only potential problem I have is law enforcement being able to see the rear plate on my Chevy Traverse. You can't tell from the pictures but if you're in a vehicle from behind, there is a gap between the bottom of the scooter and top of the rack where you can still see the top two-thirds of the rear plate on my Traverse. I've had several instances where I've had cops behind me with the scooter loaded so apparently they saw the plate well enough that it's not an issue. If it was I'd have to add some type of license plate mount and switch the plate everytime I mounted the scooter, which would be kind of a PIA(that was just for you WhiteNoise). So far it's been the ideal setup for me!
vanbibj

Post by vanbibj »

maddiedog wrote:Oh definitely. We've fit 4 scooters on a 4x8 trailer before. The PCX is long though, so you could probably fit 3 PCXes side by side, with the one in the middle facing backwards.

I got my trailer from Harbor Freight on sale for under $300. :D
Awesome....thanks for the info.....hopefully they'll have the trailer on sale about the same time I buy that 150 next year! :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

PIA :lol: Thanks Jim, great replies to my questions. Your scoot looks very cozy, safe secure especially with your front wheel locked in before and aft. I just took a look at that simple to install and use LED strip too, good price and good lighting.
Here's what I've been wondering about: I have a Versa Haul and I've been looking on the www. for a chock that might adapt to it (similar to yours) that will install without a lot of fuss (i.e. custom welding). I'd like to be able to lock her in fully too, and then strap down. Any thoughts or ideas of what might work? :roll:
Here's a recent pic of mine. The chock has two mounting positions to choose from (if that helps).
Attachments
Chock.JPG
Chock.JPG (43.74 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

WN, why not just use the default chock with no locking mechanism? The ratchets will get it "locked" down real well! ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:WN, why not just use the default chock with no locking mechanism? The ratchets will get it "locked" down real well! ;)

You know what a ratchet is?

Just bigger than a mouseshit :P

I thank you....