Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Post by Mel46 »

It would STILL come out way cheaper than what the local stores charge for the same item, it appears. I would definitely purchase the parts online IF I had the time to wait for the part to arrive, which I believe that you do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Post by aphid »

I fully agree. Parts have been ordered - 23205-KWN-640 FACE SET, DRIVEN, HONDA PCX 125 150 DRIVE BELT, WEIGHTS,SLIDE SET 12-13 23100-KZY-701 GENUINE OEM. Both items came to about £62 inc shipping and, as you pointed out, fitting will be much quicker and easier so cheaper cost to befitted.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

aphid wrote:I fully agree. Parts have been ordered - 23205-KWN-640 FACE SET, DRIVEN, HONDA PCX 125 150 DRIVE BELT, WEIGHTS,SLIDE SET 12-13 23100-KZY-701 GENUINE OEM. Both items came to about £62 inc shipping and, as you pointed out, fitting will be much quicker and easier so cheaper cost to befitted.
I could not budge the variator nut. I've now got a breaker bar and new variator holding tool, just waiting for the warmer weather to arrive to do the work (it's run fine with that noise for ages so not bothered at present)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I made a breaker bar by finding a pipe that fits over the ratchet. I braced the variator holding tool against the center stand. Then I stood on the breaker bar, and it worked. If you have a second person, that person can make sure the variator tool doesn't slip.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Being a complete novice - as is no doubt abundantly clear from my post - I was quite keen to understand more about what is involved with replacing the driven face set, changing the weights and slides and replacing the drive belt. I found this YouTube video one of the clearest of all. It might be of interest to others now and in the future: https://youtu.be/pXRPA3Pzdxo. Enjoy!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Yep, videos for the clutch issues and driven set is very common as is walk-throughs on the forum here - one of the common problems with the new LED pcx from 2014-2017. If you don't know, check the technical forum on this site as great maintenance guides from people such as Maddy Dog, Homie and others and great sets of videos on YT by such people.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

iceman wrote:Yep, videos for the clutch issues and driven set is very common as is walk-throughs on the forum here - one of the common problems with the new LED pcx from 2014-2017. If you don't know, check the technical forum on this site as great maintenance guides from people such as Maddy Dog, Homie and others and great sets of videos on YT by such people.
Thanks for the heads up. Seems that this area of the PCX is an ongoing issue that should have been resolved but Honda by now.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Just had a reply from a Honda main dealer I contacted early last week for a quote.
“I have spoken to our technician and we would like to have the vehicle here to carry out a full diagnosis prior to pricing anything up as it may be linked to a transmission bearing noise within the gearbox.”

Could this be a possibility - transmission bearing in the gearbox - rather than clutch bearing, or does the noise my back wheel makes on the stand rule that out?
https://youtu.be/UE0irSP1p6g
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aphid wrote:Just had a reply from a Honda main dealer I contacted early last week for a quote.
“I have spoken to our technician and we would like to have the vehicle here to carry out a full diagnosis prior to pricing anything up as it may be linked to a transmission bearing noise within the gearbox.”

Could this be a possibility - transmission bearing in the gearbox - rather than clutch bearing, or does the noise my back wheel makes on the stand rule that out?
https://youtu.be/UE0irSP1p6g
:D :lol: .

Go somewhere else.

Seriously.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

CVT scooters like the PCX do not have gearboxes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

gn2 wrote:CVT scooters like the PCX do not have gearboxes.
Hmmm. Guess that answers that, then. Wouldn't you think a main honda dealer mechanic would know better!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

aphid wrote:
Hmmm. Guess that answers that, then. Wouldn't you think a main honda dealer mechanic would know better!
Nope, not a surprise at all.
Maybe confused by the...... final drive reduction gear casing.
(too many words for them to remember)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Wait...it may be a problem in the whatsit, attached to the thingamabob, that is close to that thingamajig. :lol:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aphid wrote:

They do but they rely on us not knowing better if possible :D

Try and get a few other opinions. Friendly independent?
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Agreed. I am getting responses from several garages but decided to include the Honda main dealership for good measure and comparison. The local independent garage I normally go to agreed with the clutch bearing diagnosis. Just trying to get a clearer idea of how labour costs work. One said about an hour. Another about two hours. Both £50 an hour. I assume billing is proportionate to time spent, not in hourly multiples. e.g. 1 1/4 hours billed at 1.25 the hourly rate rather than two hours?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

You are not dealing with the universal billing system, so independants can do what they want. Usually labor costs are rounded up to the half hour. So if it takes an hour and 15 minutes, you get billed for 90 minutes.

Further, until they tear the engine down , no one will know exactly what it costs, so they're just "guessing from the desk" at this point.

Why not ask the two about the discrepancy?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

I am in the midst of getting clarification on billing from two garages so far ahead of the pack. Other quotes should also shed light on anticipated labour time, one of the reasons I wanted to hear from a main dealer who should know best of all, you would think.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I was once told to never go back to the dealer after you have purchased a vehicle from them unless you are familiar with their practices. Their objective is to make money.

Independent mechanics want customers. Being your friend helps them get more referrals. Referrals keep them in business.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Sound advice. I bought my PCX back in 2014 from another main dealer 30 odd miles away. The one I approached is just over a mile from home. I would normally avoid a main dealer like the plague in the knowledge that their prices are always excessive. That said, they MOT'd and serviced my PCX for the only time last year after undercutting my local independent...so about half their normal price. No doubt to try and attract future business. In this instance my approach to them is to gather useful information about the work, like anticipated labour cost. I can always hit them with rival quotes and see how they react but I doubt they will be able to compete. Although my driven face unit should be here in a few days, the new belt drive, weights and slides are unlikely to be here before 3 March so time for me to play one against the other.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Do keep in mind that most dealers will not install customer provided parts, mainly because they mark up their parts so much, but they claim that it is because they can not guarantee the work. Bull! They should be able to guarantee the labor itself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150