Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Post by aphid »

I have an odd noise that I am hoping someone might be able to explain, please.

Although I have had my 125 PCX almost 5 years, bought just 6 months old from a very reputable dealership, I have been aware of what I can only describe as an engine noise/rattle when I accelerate quite hard. No sign of it while plodding along, just when I twist the throttle for a burst of speed. Although I have been aware of the irritating noise for a long time, the fact that there was no mention of it at each annual service made me think this noise was normal. Perhaps it is? However, a recent service at a Honda main dealership picked up the noise. They suggested further (costly) work to investigate what they felt could be the bearings. However, they also said that if it hasn’t caused me any issues, which it hasn’t, to leave well alone for the time being.

Any ideas what this might be, please? I average just 1000 miles a year, to get to work and back, so hardly excessive wear and tear. It’s more of an irritation than a performance issue but one I would like to sort out if I can.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Noisy engine noise when accelerating..?

Post by Mel46 »

What year model is your bike? There were some clutch bearing issues with the earlier models. Also, what is your general location?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I believe, normally the clutch bearing (driven pulley) only shows itself until the clutch engages, so low speed when moving the bike by hand or low throttle.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

How many miles on he drivebelt?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If you are certain the noise is coming from the engine and you felt it could be a safety issue or an indicator of a possible mechanical failure then it wouldn't hurt anything (except your wallet) to have an authorized Honda dealer mechanic take a look at it. Or if you feel confident with your skills you could at least open the cover to get a view of the CVT and check the belt, variator, cleanliness, and clutch.

Otherwise see if you can more precisely identify, safely, where the noise seems to emit from.

Just to give you an idea . . . if it's down low it's possible it could be something loose vibrating in the under seat storage area. If you've got loose change or items in the leg shield storage bin that could be a source of noise . . . especially during bumps.

Here's an example of someone with noise problems on a 125. It you check YouTube there are a number of videos pertaining to PCX noises. Maybe someone else has a similar problem to yours. See what they have to say about the cause.

Recently I was getting a vibrating noise up forward on my Zuma 125 and it seemed to do it more when it was really cold. I thought I was stumped on what the noise source was until I just decided to press on one of my deer whistles and then "Puuffff" it became silent. The whistle was vibrating in the mounting piece that sticks to the front of the scooter leg shield. One less thing to worry about.

But all that aside clutch bearing issues can and do crop up, exhaust pipe flanges can loosen, spark plugs can loosen, things in general can loosen. It's always a good idea to just have a "look-see" around your machine every now and then to make sure fasteners are tight. I've seen weird things loosen up over my years of riding and it's just a good idea to always put safety first when in doubt and get things checked by a professional. . .which of course is a personal choice. :|
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Mel46 wrote:What year model is your bike? There were some clutch bearing issues with the earlier models. Also, what is your general location?
It’s was registered new in May 2013.... just before the new PCX model came out. Now about 8000 on the clock. I live in East Anglia, right on the east coast.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

iceman wrote:I believe, normally the clutch bearing (driven pulley) only shows itself until the clutch engages, so low speed when moving the bike by hand or low throttle.
Thanks for your response. So the fact that the noise is only evident when I twist the throttle seems to rule out a clutch bearing problem...?
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

gn2 wrote:How many miles on he drivebelt?
The drive belt is the original one fitted when new. With only about 8000 miles on the clock I understand from speaking to respective service engineers that it’s replacement is not due for me yet.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Old Grinner wrote:If you are certain the noise is coming from the engine and you felt it could be a safety issue or an indicator of a possible mechanical failure then it wouldn't hurt anything (except your wallet) to have an authorized Honda dealer mechanic take a look at it. Or if you feel confident with your skills you could at least open the cover to get a view of the CVT and check the belt, variator, cleanliness, and clutch.

Otherwise see if you can more precisely identify, safely, where the noise seems to emit from.

Just to give you an idea . . . if it's down low it's possible it could be something loose vibrating in the under seat storage area. If you've got loose change or items in the leg shield storage bin that could be a source of noise . . . especially during bumps.

Here's an example of someone with noise problems on a 125. It you check YouTube there are a number of videos pertaining to PCX noises. Maybe someone else has a similar problem to yours. See what they have to say about the cause.

Recently I was getting a vibrating noise up forward on my Zuma 125 and it seemed to do it more when it was really cold. I thought I was stumped on what the noise source was until I just decided to press on one of my deer whistles and then "Puuffff" it became silent. The whistle was vibrating in the mounting piece that sticks to the front of the scooter leg shield. One less thing to worry about.

But all that aside clutch bearing issues can and do crop up, exhaust pipe flanges can loosen, spark plugs can loosen, things in general can loosen. It's always a good idea to just have a "look-see" around your machine every now and then to make sure fasteners are tight. I've seen weird things loosen up over my years of riding and it's just a good idea to always put safety first when in doubt and get things checked by a professional. . .which of course is a personal choice. :|
Many thanks for your detailed reply. The automatic notification of replies seems to have failed so I have only just noticed!

My reaction to the noise over the years was is that it is something loose, like a vibration noise from somewhere below where I sit, even the exhaust, but I can’t see anything that is obviously loose. I mention the bearings purely because that it what was suggested as a possible cause by my latest Honda main dealer service engineer. What it actually is I am clearly unsure of. I thought it engine related because the noise is evident when I twist the throttle for a burst of speed, not when plodding along. I done consider it a safety issue because my PCX runs well, apart from this annoying noise, and I have always ensured a full service every year in spite of my relatively low 1000 mile annual mileage. Wouldn’t a service engineer have noticed if anything was loose?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

aphid wrote:
iceman wrote:I believe, normally the clutch bearing (driven pulley) only shows itself until the clutch engages, so low speed when moving the bike by hand or low throttle.
Thanks for your response. So the fact that the noise is only evident when I twist the throttle seems to rule out a clutch bearing problem...?
If it's the normal driven pulley (clutch bearing noise) then you can hear the 'graunch' when moving it by hand with the engine off - actually the best way is to have the bike on the centre stand and rotate the rear wheel, if will make a noise but if it's really graunchy then it's likely to be at least the driven pulley bearing. There are lots of youtube videos demonstrating that noise.
It does not seem to do any harm other then make a bad noise, and I rode with it like that for a long time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If you purchased it in May of 2013 it fits right in the time when Honda had the clutch bearing problems. An easy way to tell if it is that would be to put the bike on its center stand and spin the rear wheel backwards. If it makes a grinding noise then it is the clutch bearing.

I believe there were also some riders who had a problem with the exhaust, so make sure the bolts and screws are secure.

There were also some discussions about the clutch pads being glazed from stop-and-go traffic. That just required removing them and sanding them to get the glaze off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Run the fuel tank to near empty and then fill up with the highest octane you can find. If it doesn’t stop it usually ruled out preignition (ping) caused by faulty ignition timing.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Mel46 wrote:If you purchased it in May of 2013 it fits right in the time when Honda had the clutch bearing problems. An easy way to tell if it is that would be to put the bike on its center stand and spin the rear wheel backwards. If it makes a grinding noise then it is the clutch bearing.

I believe there were also some riders who had a problem with the exhaust, so make sure the bolts and screws are secure.

There were also some discussions about the clutch pads being glazed from stop-and-go traffic. That just required removing them and sanding them to get the glaze off.
Thanks for the input. I tried what you suggested and recorded the results. Does this sound normal?
https://youtu.be/UE0irSP1p6g

Exhaust seems to be attached quite firmly.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ouch! Sounds like a bad clutch bearing to me. It should not growl like that.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Mel46 wrote:Ouch! Sounds like a bad clutch bearing to me. It should not growl like that.
Ouch. Oh dear! That’s not good, but if it means the source of my noise issue has been pinpointed, that’s a huge plus. Would that explain the noise when I twist the throttle for a burst of speed, then?

Looking to a fix, is it likely to leave a big hole in my pocket? Presumably it would be obvious to a reputable mechanic, i.e. there would be no doubt that was the culprit.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If you're paying to get the clutch bearing done, get a new drivebelt fitted at the same time.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

On my wife's bike the noise started at 8,000 miles and by 10,000 miles the noise had gone from a growl up to a screech as the bearing froze up. Yes, that noise is quite noticeable when the bike has to accelerate quickly.

As far as costs go, they are different in different parts of the globe. That is because of taxes and tariffs. For example, here in the United States the entire assembly would only cost $30, plus the labor to install it. Many of us can do the job ourselves because we have places to work on it and we have the tools.

However, on the other end of the scale is the UK. Few have garages there, nor the time and equipment to do the job. Tariffs may double the cost of the part there, plus mechanics can charge what they want.

So, in answer to your question about cost for replacement, you will have to check with your mechanic.

Just know that this was a common problem, but aside from it this bike is very dependable. Once this is fixed you should feel confident that it will keep running for a long time. Just remember to grease the center stand bolts ever so often.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Thanks to all of your help it seems that the source of my ‘odd’ acceleration noise has been pinpointed. Many thanks for all you comments and advice. Sad to discover that this is a known issue with my version of the PCX for which I would have thought Honda has some obligation to remedy the fault. That withstanding I will look to get this fixed in the summer, along with a new drive belt. That is, once I have gathered a few quotes from Honda dealerships and their local competitors.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Just got an initial quote from a bike garage I have used previously. Not a main dealer although I will be contacting one tomorrow.

All inclusive of VAT:
Bearings - £29 for both
£36.00 for a new belt I asked to be fitted
£50 per hour labour...didn’t know how long it would take, maybe 2-3 hours.

The mechanic at the garage has never fitted a new bearings on a PCX so was honest enough to say he didn’t know how long it would take. The old bearings might be easy to remove, they might take a lot of effort.

I will be persuing quotes from other garages, of course, but how long should the job take?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

This is a diagram of the part. The bearings that go bad are #18 and #19
The bearings come individually or you can buy the entire assembly, ready to install. That assembly is $30 in the United States. The two bearings ranger in price from $5 to $15 each. Doing the bearings individually will cost much more in labor because the bearings have to be pressed in and out with a special tool, after the unit is disassembled.
Clutch bearing.jpg
Clutch bearing.jpg (21.67 KiB) Viewed 4393 times
The set #8 is part number 23205-kwn-640
Have your mechanic price that. It takes very little time to replace the assembly.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150