Fuel Cleaners

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Fuel Cleaners

Post by Sandymay »

First, let me apologize for all the questions I will be asking over the coming weeks. I’m just so excited to start riding again after a year absence.

My new ride, the yet to be named 2015 with about 12k on it, has an unknown history. It wasn’t regularly serviced at the dealership that I purchased it from, it was just used as a trade in on an ATV. So I want to help to mitigate any mistreatments it may have endured before I purchased it.

I’m very familiar with old cars, and their fuel systems and how they can benefit from a fuel cleaner every so often, which got me to thinking about the PCX.

Do you use a fuel cleaner, and if so, what one would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Sandy
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Fuel Cleaners

Post by springer1 »

Sandymay wrote:First, let me apologize for all the questions I will be asking over the coming weeks. I’m just so excited to start riding again after a year absence.

My new ride, the yet to be named 2015 with about 12k on it, has an unknown history. It wasn’t regularly serviced at the dealership that I purchased it from, it was just used as a trade in on an ATV. So I want to help to mitigate any mistreatments it may have endured before I purchased it.

I’m very familiar with old cars, and their fuel systems and how they can benefit from a fuel cleaner every so often, which got me to thinking about the PCX.

Do you use a fuel cleaner, and if so, what one would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Sandy
I use Lucas when an engine starts to stumble (usually mower, or some other small engine) and otherwise once a year in every vehicle I have including lawnmower, snow blower etc. It works. It works. Don’t overmix - it’s not necessary. For small engines like the mower or pcx I mix some in a 5 gal container and fill from that until it’s gone.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I don't think you would need to worry too much about using an engine cleaner for this engine providing the previous owner used fuels that have detergents which should be all brands if Canada requires them. However a cleaning never hurts . In my view Seafoam is very good for this and will suffice. If you really want to do a deep cleaning I would use Marvel Mystery Oil in one tank full followed by another tank full with Seafoam. The MMO is designed and does a great job in loosening hard carbon deposits and the Seafoam removes them. I would also change the oil afterwards and put in a fresh new spark plug. I think thats the very best scenario for a dirty engine. Good luck with your new ride .
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I don't think you would need to worry too much about using an engine cleaner for this engine providing the previous owner used fuels that have detergents which should be all brands if Canada requires them. However a cleaning never hurts . In my view Seafoam is very good for this and will suffice. If you really want to do a deep cleaning I would use Marvel Mystery Oil in one tank full followed by another tank full with Seafoam. The MMO is designed and does a great job in loosening hard carbon deposits and the Seafoam removes them. I would also change the oil afterwards and put in a fresh new spark plug. I think thats the very best scenario for a dirty engine. Good luck with your new ride .
I totally agree with Easy Rider.

I've used Marvel Mystery Oil for years and it does indeed remove carbon deposits. The only downside to it is that your regular engine oil will darken up faster and a timely oil change is a must . . . especially on an engine that is quite dirty to begin with.

That said, for ongoing fuel treatment, I use StarTron (made by Starbrite). It usually comes in a "blue" looking plastic bottle and is clearly labeled. It's especially good for reducing "phasing" in ethanol containing fuels. It's something that needs to be used regularly and it keeps your fuel system in good shape. Here's a YouTube video explaining it. . ..

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am a stickler when it comes to my PCX so I put Seafoam in ever so often, whether it needs it or not. Unless the fuel already in the bike is near empty when you get it, put some Seafoam in it and change the oil. Then ride it for a week or two and change the oil again. The Seafoam with work well for injectors etc, but the oil suggestion is based on years of finding sludge in older bikes I have bought and guessing that the oil was never changed.

The dealer may change the oil for you, and many reputable dealers check the bike over and tune them if needed before selling them. Still, even if the dealer changes the oil, keep an eye on the color of it and change it within a month of buying the bike. That way the old crud that was left over will be taken out of the engine quickly.

12k on a Honda engine is not much so I am pretty sure that with the right care it will last a long time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i use sea foam i put a small amount in the tank before every ride i had water in my tank once in a ATV years ago and it wouldent start it dosent take alot of condensation to stop you in a one cylinder engine if water gets in there
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Mel46 wrote:I am a stickler when it comes to my PCX so I put Seafoam in ever so often, whether it needs it or not. Unless the fuel already in the bike is near empty when you get it, put some Seafoam in it and change the oil. Then ride it for a week or two and change the oil again. The Seafoam with work well for injectors etc, but the oil suggestion is based on years of finding sludge in older bikes I have bought and guessing that the oil was never changed.

The dealer may change the oil for you, and many reputable dealers check the bike over and tune them if needed before selling them. Still, even if the dealer changes the oil, keep an eye on the color of it and change it within a month of buying the bike. That way the old crud that was left over will be taken out of the engine quickly.

12k on a Honda engine is not much so I am pretty sure that with the right care it will last a long time.
Thanks. They are doing an oil change and the bikes been checked over. They replaced the tires

Is it fairly easy to change the oil myself or should I get it done again? I’m such a newbie and I have no friends or family that ride.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Changing the oil should take no more then 30 minutes, though I have done mine in 15 minutes before.

Just be careful of the oil drain bolt. Some people have gotten in a hurry and ended up rounding the head. It is under the bike so you sort of have to hold the socket on the bolt to keep it from slipping. Put newspaper under the bike before you put it on the centerstand. When the oil drains out (less than a quart) in will probably run down the centerstand a bit. That is how close the drain bolt is to the centerstand. (If you can find a way to hang the bike from the ceiling you won't need the centerstand, but I haven't found a way to do that easily yet.)

There is also a screen on the opposite side that can be pulled and cleaned. You may or may not opt to pull that the first time you change the oil. They probably did it at the dealer, but you should ask, just in case. That is where any bigger particles will be captured. If the dealer pulled it when they changed the oil, don't worry about it until the next one you do other than your first time. Give yourself time to gain some confidence.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

This might help you.
SM_page_Oil Change PCX150.jpg
SM_page_Oil Change PCX150.jpg (218.83 KiB) Viewed 1698 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks Mel,

Very helpful
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I got around the dripping oil thing by sticking a bit of tape - in my case some aluminum tape - onto the scoot before I pulled the drain plug. The tape redirected the oil away from the center stand. I still made a bit of a mess - newspaper or cardboard are still highly recommended. BTW - I took this pic just now. The tape has been on for over a year.

Or get an oil sucker pump and never bother with the stupid drain screw. You may not get every drop, but you will get most of it. This is You² preferred method.

The trickiest, most frustrating part for me was putting the correct amount back in. Sneak up on it - full to overfull seems to be about a half ounce.
Aluminum tape deflecting oil drain from centerstand-656x369.jpg
Aluminum tape deflecting oil drain from centerstand-656x369.jpg (65.24 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Damn I hate auto-rotate

Edited: WN - Me too ;)
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks George, good tips. I especially like the oil sucker idea. I saw one on Amazon. See link below. Would this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Trac-T10064-Fluid ... B006ZOVCAM
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I guess... I'm not a connoisseur of these things, but the one you have chosen looks fine. The smaller one would do the job and probably be easier to store for the other 364 days a year.

People with boats use these things all the time. As you can imagine, a drain plug at the bottom of an engine sitting on the keel of a sailboat is pretty hard to get something under, and even access to the engine is always a bear.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Harbor Freight store is just a few miles away from me. I buy a couple of these transfer hand held pumps.
1 to siphon sitting fuel and 1 for oil changes. They're not expensive and do the job easily. I never feel guilty if I have to toss one out. Maintenance...When chores done, I put a drop of machine oil on the pumps stem, spread it with finger then pump it a few times. Now it's lubed and ready to go next job.
Regular price: $6.99
Sale either $4.99 or $5.99

Link: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use ... 63144.html

You may want to purchase some plastic trim tools ;) whilst shopping @ ($8.99)
Link: https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q= ... tool%20set

Back to the pump, I believe it or similar can be had elsewhere too. Google your local hardware mom and pop stores and bigger chains, home depot, lowe's etc. and of course, good 'ol Amazon :D

Note the different parts included. You will need a narrower hose to reach into oil's basin to get most of it out (hose enters through the oils dipstick port to drain).
To remove fuel, use the bigger hose.
Buy 2 they're so cheap.

I do have a bigger unit. I tried it. Overkill, Not necessary for these small siphoning jobs.

P.S. I use Seafoam. Adding/mixing it to my 2 gallons of petrol in my No-Spill Fuel can.
Good to go to top off the tank or to fill-her-backup.
A Link to No-spill Fuel Can: https://www.walmart.com/ip/No-Spill-Fue ... gIaD_D_BwE

For a demo of usage, Go to youtube, do a search for No Spill Fuel Can. Watch It in action ;)

and That's All Folks!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Sandymay wrote:Thanks George, good tips. I especially like the oil sucker idea. I saw one on Amazon. See link below. Would this work?

https://www.amazon.ca/Trac-T10064-Fluid ... B006ZOVCAM
Yes.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Sandymay wrote: I’m very familiar with old cars, and their fuel systems and how they can benefit from a fuel cleaner every so often, which got me to thinking about the PCX.

I have finished an accredited community college automotive technology program and both the text books and the instructor emphasize that detergents in modern US-sold gasoline are entire sufficient at keeping the fuel system clean, resulting in no need whatsoever to use aftermarket "cleaning" products.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I have finished an accredited community college automotive technology program and both the text books and the instructor emphasize that detergents in modern US-sold gasoline are entire sufficient at keeping the fuel system clean, resulting in no need whatsoever to use aftermarket "cleaning" products.
Congrats on completing your program! :geek:

I'm a graduate of an accredited state university and also the school of "Hard Knocks" . . .. :lol:

I firmly believe that putting additives into ethanol containing fuels to reduce phasing and deterioration is a good idea. It goes beyond cleaning. Ethanol can be damaging to certain metals and rubber products (fuel lines).

Anyhow I saw this old Shell commercial that I remember watching on TV as a kid and they were promoting "additives" even back then. I'll bet detergent was one of the "9 ingredients" other than "platformate". :D

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

have finished an accredited community college automotive technology program and both the text books and the instructor emphasize that detergents in modern US-sold gasoline are entire sufficient at keeping the fuel system clean, resulting in no need whatsoever to use aftermarket "cleaning" products.

All well and good if they are putting those additives in the fuel.. Current EPA requirements have been deleted, minimized, and un enforced .. So take your chances, but if you do it yourself you know its done .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
Sandymay wrote: I’m very familiar with old cars, and their fuel systems and how they can benefit from a fuel cleaner every so often, which got me to thinking about the PCX.

Hallehfuckingulliah.

Might fall on deaf ears around here though :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This is a democracy . . . everyone gets a chance to be heard . . . no sense barking up the wrong tree. Dog gone it!!! :lol: