Questions from a new owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

AndrewCraig
Year: 2019
Color: White

Questions from a new owner

Post by AndrewCraig »

Greetings! I collected my new PCX last week, and I'm very happy with it. But, a few questions:

1. There seems to be quite a bit of play in the throttle grip. Is this usual? It makes it a bit tricky to pick up the power smoothly as I come out of a bend, and is mildly irritating anyway.

2. Am I right in thinking that it's a bad idea to ride with the door of the little compartment containing the 12v socket open, since it would bounce up and down? In which case, is there a good way of getting power to a GPS mounted on the handlebars, other than making a hole in the door of the compartment?

3. Before my PCX, I had a Honda Wave 110i. Since changing, I've noticed that I get more nods from motorcyclists, which surprised me, since while it's a bit bigger, the PCX is definitely a scooter rather than a motorcycle. Then I wondered - is it because the PCX looks from the front a bit like a sports bike, if you ignore the position of the handlebars?

Thanks, everyone!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: Questions from a new owner

Post by Jge64 »

1. Can be adjusted per the shop manual, but I would get it done by the dealer when you take it back in there for the first check.
2. There are many power outlets available on Amazon and the like, just do some research, you can then run it down to the power adapter if you want , or splice it into the harness. You don’t say how mechanically/electrically inclined you are, so I have no idea how to advance this subject. Search the tech and DIY sections here… Many have done it.....
3. Probably.......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
AndrewCraig

Post by AndrewCraig »

Jge64 wrote:1. Can be adjusted per the shop manual, but I would get it done by the dealer when you take it back in there for the first check.
2. There are many power outlets available on Amazon and the like, just do some research, you can then run it down to the power adapter if you want , or splice it into the harness. You don’t say how mechanically/electrically inclined you are, so I have no idea how to advance this subject. Search the tech and DIY sections here… Many have done it.....
3. Probably.......
Thanks! I'm not at all electrically or mechanically minded, and it seems a shame to have to do complicated wiring when there's a handy socket a few inches away from where I want the satnav. I'd probably cut or melt a wee nick in the compartment door if it weren't such a lovely new machine.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

That will work fine, you’ll never see the Nick, go on Amazon and look for products that help hold sat/NAV Devices called RAM components… They work amazingly well..

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ram+mount+mo ... b_ss_i_2_5
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

AndrewCraig wrote:
Jge64 wrote:1. Can be adjusted per the shop manual, but I would get it done by the dealer when you take it back in there for the first check.
3. Probably.......
Thanks! I'm not at all electrically or mechanically minded, and it seems a shame to have to do complicated wiring when there's a handy socket a few inches away from where I want the satnav. I'd probably cut or melt a wee nick in the compartment door if it weren't such a lovely new machine.
I wouldn’t go through the front. Cut through the back and route it up through the handlebars. I’d think you should be able to route it with a coat hanger or fish tape if you have access to one. Hiding holes are always preferred. If you can find a rubber grommet to help seal the hole it would almost look factory.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Once you get tired of messing with trying to get that glove box door closed after plugging in the GPS I have another solution for you.

Many of our members use a Battery Tender Jr. to keep their battery topped off. It comes with an extension cable that connects directly to the battery. It has a cap on the other end so that it won't cause any problems while under your seat. (Yes, that battery compartment door will fit closed with those leads sticking out.) Ask your dealer about them. There are multiple pieces that plug right into that capped end, including a USB port. Feed your GPS between the hinge of the seat and plug it into that port. Just remember to turn the GPS off when not in use. Simple solution. If you can't install it ask your dealer/service to do it. A 10 minute job.

Here is the cable by itself:

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-0 ... ay&sr=8-23

USB connector for it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/re ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

For you, there is this set:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOTOPOWER-MP06 ... 47&sr=8-22
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I noticed a bit of slop in my throttle when I first got my 2017. After a while I just got used to it. If you feel there's definitely something not right though please take it to your dealer and have them check it. :?

FWIW I've had 3 scooters with a USB charger port and never once used them. I got along this far without one . . . but that's me. If I bring a phone I make sure it's charged before I leave and turn it on if I need it. I have a nice selection of road maps I can pack under the seat. Actually only need one that covers all of New England if I take a longer day trip . . . but those are far and few in between now. And lastly I have a few old fashion compasses to choose from I can tuck away. On my Suzuki Bandit I actually have a compass mounted but it usually works best when the bike is not running. It's good for general navigation like if I need to know if I'm headed towards the Atlantic Ocean or the Mississippi. :lol:

And yes . . . bikers will give you the "Wave" for sure. :D
100_5355a.jpg
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I'm able to run a power cord from the power outlet to the phone mount on the handlebar, and still squeeze the "glove box" lid closed. It never occurred to me to have to drill a hole or anything to get power to the phone. If over time the pressure of the lid damages the power cord, I'll just buy another one for $10.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
RacerX
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by RacerX »

vito wrote:I'm able to run a power cord from the power outlet to the phone mount on the handlebar, and still squeeze the "glove box" lid closed. It never occurred to me to have to drill a hole or anything to get power to the phone. If over time the pressure of the lid damages the power cord, I'll just buy another one for $10.
If you don't me asking, what cord did you use? Most seem too think to be able to shut the door. Even the flat 'noodle' cables seem thick. And how did you convert the power port on the pcx to a USB?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

The service manual states throttle grip free play should be between 2-6mm - mine is set near the lower end of that which is fine.