Interval

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Interval

Post by mymitzi »

Pretty sure, few of us adhere to the "2500" mile [recommended] interval for valve adjustments. Personally, my interval is yet to be determined. Bought my 2013 PCX in 2015 with a bit less than 2200 miles on it. Early on, bought the sealer for the valve cover
planning to get er done. Since the scooter was running so well and after hearing some of the sad tales of others, decided to "wait
and see". Still waiting......... Past 60k now...just keeps scooting along. Was wondering if anyone else is dragging their feet?
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: Interval

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I checked mine on 2018 at around 1000 miles or so. The bike ran well and the engine was quiet. But the exhaust valve was too tight.
If left unadjusted, it would keep getting tighter and would burn prematurely, probably. Not to mention the performance was compromised.

Depending on your outlook on the bike in general and expected longevity, most likely if you don't adjust it, you will not suffer for it, especially given how many miles most people put on their PCXs over the lives of the bikes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mymitzi wrote:Pretty sure, few of us adhere to the "2500" mile [recommended] interval for valve adjustments. Personally, my interval is yet to be determined. Bought my 2013 PCX in 2015 with a bit less than 2200 miles on it. Early on, bought the sealer for the valve cover
planning to get er done. Since the scooter was running so well and after hearing some of the sad tales of others, decided to "wait
and see". Still waiting......... Past 60k now...just keeps scooting along. Was wondering if anyone else is dragging their feet?
I’ll be in your dragging feet category.

There are other ways than disassembly to check if the valve clearance is ok in my opinion.

Do the valves sound noisey?
Does the bike start and run ok and not stall?
Has the bike had regular oil changes?

If all three are yes then don’t fiddle.

Just my opinion, others are available.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

"I checked mine on 2018 at around 1000 miles or so".
Seems..... the factory is hit or miss with the initial adjustment. Once properly set...and running fine, maybe leave well enough alone?
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Im at 3k miles and Never adjusted. Might be a good idea to check them. Time to look up valve lash specs.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator