fixing up cosmetics

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

dnchf2

fixing up cosmetics

Post by dnchf2 »

My buddy barely knocked my bike over and left a scratch down the left side. I got the part for it but cant figure out how to disassemble the plastics. Also, the back of the blinker (black part) broke. I dont want to buy the whole light that cost 60bucks. Any ideas? Thanks.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Re: fixing up cosmetics

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome, any pics? get a service manual and do it yourself, not hard just time consuming for a newbie.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

www.partzilla.com seems to have a lot of parts available, don't know about the manual though. I'm getting three panels replaced for maybe $60-$70 total. Just contact them to make sure it's for the PCX150 and not the PCX125. I don't know if they're different, but the model numbers are.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have a 150 and had to replace a panel, and we ordered the one for the 125 which fits nicely. Still, better to be safe. Also, when my wife dropped hers the left front blinker housing broke where the screw goes through it. I put the pieces back in place and used some silicone tape, black, going around it where front and back meet, and it is still holding. You can get the tape at Home Depot also, among other places. I think it was called Stretch and Seal. I also bought some at Ace Hardware under the heading of 'Emergency Repair Tape Non-adhesive'. It has helped on several occasions when the bike bumped up against something like a wall. It just rubbed the tape off, which was easy to replace. You just start at one end and stretch the tape around the item and let it stick to itself. It doesn't stick to anything other than itself. I have used this stuff for both of my scooters. Great for wrapping items onto the handlebars also.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

That is one thing I don't like about the US models, is that the signal/marker lights need to be protruding. It makes the susceptible to getting knocked/hit. But on the positive side, maybe it also makes them more visible ... maybe.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I was wondering why the US models have the light protruding. I've seen the Burgman and it doesn't have protruding turn signals. Has anyone in the Us changed their turn signals?
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

They protrude, but at least there's quite a bit of flexibility built into the stems.
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

katschamne wrote:I was wondering why the US models have the light protruding. I've seen the Burgman and it doesn't have protruding turn signals. Has anyone in the Us changed their turn signals?
Its a US DOT thing that has to do with the placement vs the headlites and total witdth and distance to the ground, etc.

The Tmax has the same type "on a stalk" turn signals compared to the euro models.
Some of the guys on the Tmax forum convert them as they are readily available:
http://majestyusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9448

Was wondering also if parts are available and what it entails.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

katschamne wrote:Has anyone in the Us changed their turn signals?
Look through the various threads on these forums. I think I saw one the had changed out the lights for smaller LED ones. I am pretty sure that with so many different bikes out there that if you switch them out for low profile ones, no cop is ever going to know.
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Here in Illinois it isn't a requirement that you even have turn signals, although then you have to use hand signals. I'm sure you are right that if I changed them no one would be the wiser.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Are there turn signals in the headlight assemblies in Europe or Thailand? I noticed that there seemed to be a lot of unused glass in the front light assembly on the PCX. I thought it unusual. If a headlight assembly was ordered from Thailand would it have the wiring assembly for turn signals built in?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

This has turned into a turn signal thread I guess...
Yes thai and euro have integrated turn signals in the headlight housings.
Yes stalks are ugly but imho they are safer(at least in the day time).
I recently blacked out the insides of my euro/thai signal housing and think it looks way better. I'll post pics up later.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:Are there turn signals in the headlight assemblies in Europe or Thailand? ...... If a headlight assembly was ordered from Thailand would it have the wiring assembly for turn signals built in?
The turn signals on Thai models are in the upper portion on each side of the headlight assembly and to the right and the left of the rear brake light. I do not know if a Thai headlight assembly would have the same wiring harness as the US model, and I am not sure how you could check on that.

When I got my used PCX there were no lights in the space just to the left and right of the headlights. I thought it was just cosmetic plastic until I took a closer look and found there were bulb sockets in each space. I don't know if they don't come with bulbs in them or if the previous owner removed them. I added blue LED lights which makes me stand out more during both the day and night riding. I don't know if they are legal or not, but lots of bikes have them here. Besides that, the police are so corrupt that even if I did get pulled over for them it will simply mean a $3-$6 cash payment right there at the side of the road. :roll: :roll:
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

kramnala58 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Are there turn signals in the headlight assemblies in Europe or Thailand? ...... If a headlight assembly was ordered from Thailand would it have the wiring assembly for turn signals built in?
The turn signals on Thai models are in the upper portion on each side of the headlight assembly and to the right and the left of the rear brake light. I do not know if a Thai headlight assembly would have the same wiring harness as the US model, and I am not sure how you could check on that.

When I got my used PCX there were no lights in the space just to the left and right of the headlights. I thought it was just cosmetic plastic until I took a closer look and found there were bulb sockets in each space. I don't know if they don't come with bulbs in them or if the previous owner removed them. I added blue LED lights which makes me stand out more during both the day and night riding. I don't know if they are legal or not, but lots of bikes have them here. Besides that, the police are so corrupt that even if I did get pulled over for them it will simply mean a $3-$6 cash payment right there at the side of the road. :roll: :roll:
As far as the headlight assembly, ask Jeremy over at powerbypcx.com. They build headlight assemblies using the original PCX bucket and lens assembly. They gut out the original lights and replace them with angel eye led lights, some with colored rings on the outside of the lamp. I believe they sell a harness for headlights also.