Filling gas tank

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Filling gas tank

Post by dustin91 »

My dealer told me to fill the tank to the silver bar that runs across the nozzle port. Being in NJ, all stations are full-serve only, and on my first fill-up, the attendant spilled some gas out because the nozzle didn't automatically shut off as it would in a car.

Does that bar keep the nozzle from going in to far? How does everyone else fill up their tank? So far, I just get to a station with one bar left before Empty, and add in a gallon before checking to see where the fill level is.

Just curious if others hold down the pump until when and if it shuts off automatically.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Filling gas tank

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

That doesnt work at the pump I use here in Sioux Falls. I eyeball it and leave an inch or so from the top.
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Auto shut-off hasn't worked for most of the bikes I've had at most of the pumps I've used. Safer to fill manually, knowing the size of your tank and slowing down the fill rate as you get close to full. Only filled up the PCX once so far but found the fuel level in relation to the silver fill indicator hard to see. Don't know how that will help you in Jersey, except to warn and instruct the pump jockey.

Best,
Bash On!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I do as cheap ride does. I watch the pump gauge to 1 gallon & then baby the trigger to the crossbar. We are all self serve in OH.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I find over filling is a bad idea. Gas expands and contracts so I leave room for it to breath.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Honda have already taken care of that, it is very difficult to get it really full and take up all the expansion room.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

i fill mine right to the brim and then ride, get more smiles between fill ups then :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Filled up is at the bottom lip of the filler neck. I spot check mine as well. I also have a small led light on my key ring for my "harder to see ya days" (my eye-specs help too) :D and....You can wrap a shop rag around the filler for those shakey days
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

Thanks all. I did another fill-up today, and fortunately most stations will let me do it myself since it's just a gallon and they don't want to baby it. Looks like waiting for the bar before E, filling a gallon, and then spot-checking the last few pumps is the way to go. Appreciate the feedback!

dustin
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Never worried about it tbh. Just fill and go
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

WhiteNoise wrote:Filled up is at the bottom lip of the filler neck. I spot check mine as well. I also have a small led light on my key ring for my "harder to see ya days" (my eye-specs help too) :D and....You can wrap a shop rag around the filler for those shakey days
There is no drain hose from the filler area, right?
I've only filled it twice ... once resulted in a slight over-fill.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The tank filler neck has a rubber gaiter surrounding it, this has a drain hose which empties out under the bodywork.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dustin91 »

GN, that's what I learned on the first fill-up, thanks to an attendant with an itchy finger. From then on, I've done all the rest on my own. But that overflow area is a really good idea on Honda's part.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

gn2 wrote:The tank filler neck has a rubber gaiter surrounding it, this has a drain hose which empties out under the bodywork.
;)........drain hose comes from the fuel tray, and then heads south (gosh I'm learning a lot!! 8) :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

gn2 wrote:The tank filler neck has a rubber gaiter surrounding it, this has a drain hose which empties out under the bodywork.
Thank you, gn2.
I checked ... my drain hose had some haggis stuck in there.

(Quick tip: if you find haggis in your fuel drain DO NOT eat it ... it makes the gasoline taste weird.)
Last edited by gokidd on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The haggis is a very wily creature, they will squeeze into any warm little cubbyhole for a snooze. ;)
A bit like an octopus, its amazing how something so large as the greater haggis can fit into the gaps it can, especially in light of its exoskeleton.
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

gn2 wrote:The haggis is a very wily creature, they will squeeze into any warm little cubbyhole for a snooze. ;)
A bit like an octopus, its amazing how something so large as the greater haggis can fit into the gaps it can, especially in light of its exoskeleton.
Well-played, sir!
Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The legs are shorter on the left side of its body so it can run around hills easier.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:The legs are shorter on the left side of its body so it can run around hills easier.

Endangered species now. Rarer than the panda in scotland
gokidd
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gokidd »

Let us boogie ...
Honda PCX 150
Yamaha Majesty 400