1st Month

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

1st Month

Post by William T »

Well I have a PCX 2013 model. I've owned it for a month now. It has 500 miles on it and I've enjoyed the ride. I ride in the suburbs and surrounding rural area. some time on both gravel and pavement. I enjoy going down a dirt road and seeing the farms and wild life and also the slower paved roads. I am 66 yrs old and when I bought the pcx, I was looking for something easy to handle, easy to clean, low maintenance and easy to get on and off since I have arthritis in my hip. I find that going down the dirt roads my speed is generally 25 MPH because of the Pot holes etc. Since I'm never in a hurry this is fine. I wonder though about beefing up the suspension a little, since my weight is 220 pds. though I seldom bottom out unless I hit a particularly bad hole. I have found that my top end so far on paved roads is right at 55. I don't know if this is normal for my weight or not. It could be it needs more break in time. It could be it needs maintenance soon. I like doing my own maintenance but I think I'll let the dealer do the 1st one because of the warranty. I would like to pick up another 5 mph. I wonder what others in my weight range are getting. Am I glad I chose the PCX? Yes so far I believe it fits me quite well. There are quite a few small towns within a 50 mile range here and before the end of summer I will have visited them all. This is my personal challenge. I like this forum and the people who add to it. It is interesting.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Re: 1st Month

Post by Steph »

Another guy from Michigan! Welcome to the forum. ;) Wish I could answer your question. I've never opened it up yet. No problem going 55 and seemed that I had more room left to go faster. just never needed to yet. I weigh 157. :D No worries, someone will answer your question soon. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi William and welcome, glad you found us ;)
I smile every time I read that 50 yr. olds and up (like me), are riding. Simply makes me happy.
I too prefer the comfort of riding surrounding areas at cruising pace. Actually I enjoy the 35-45 pace best on this scoot. I did a lot of speeding as a youngin', Now I cruise and "punch it out" whenever the mood strikes me 8) Back in the days we'd claim it blew the carbs clean in yer car....Now I need no reason ;) Mood hits, pedal to the metal...metal to the floor. Now, PCX throttle gone wild 8)
I feel your pain afa arthritis goes, I have some awful back issues myself and keep thinking, maybe better rear shocks will soften that "smack on my back" every time I hit a bump. I haven't changed them yet, good days, bad days. I'll give it some time yet. No rushing right? We know better now, don't we? Enjoy, enjoy, Enjoy! You only go around once, do it smiling :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
powpilot
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by powpilot »

Hi William ... glad you're here!

First, I would expect your PCX to top out a little faster .... low - mid-sixties anyway. Mine tops out at 67 (I'm 180 pounds). It's sitting in my garage right now while I find it a new owner.

I bought a Honda Forza seven weeks ago and have now completed 1800 miles. I'm just shy of my 72nd birthday (unbelievable!) and recently started riding with a group out of Las Cruces NM twice a month for breakfast. When I first learned of them, they said they would be calling me "young Gary" and I laughed until I showed up for the first ride! I actually am one of the younger ones! Last ride we celebrated the 86th birthday of one of the guys.

I hope that you can find some other scooterists in your area with whom you can share the fun!

Gary
William T

Post by William T »

Thanks to you who have replied. I have a friend who is four years older than myself which makes him 70 who has over 70,000 on his current motorcycle and he has an older brother living in California that has over 100,000 miles on his current motorcycle. Age has little to do with desire to ride. It may have something to do with reaction time though and the ability to lift a spilled bike back up. Both of the fellas I mentioned have Honda Motorcycles. I've chosen to give up my motorcycle and to go with a scooter. This isn't for everyone but it works for me. I'm happy with my choice. After posting I was only getting 55 tops. I took the PCX out rode it a ways and then opened it up and hit 60 for the 1st time. I am wondering if the 1st valve check will prove fruitful. I can live with 60 though since no roads I currently ride have a speed limit higher than that. Ride safe everyone and do your own ride. Ride for yourself not for anyone else. Hang a small bell on your scooter to keep the evil spirits and road gremlins away.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

Welcome William, what part of Michigan are you in? I got a set of Takegawa lowering shocks on my 2013 PCX 150, I got them to lower the bike but they also improved the ride and they are adjustable. My PCX will go 65+ easy, I weigh about 110 lbs. It is nice seeing wildlife while you ride as long as the wildlife doesn't try to get too close.
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Hey, there fellow, newbie.

Just for you info, I weigh 265 and i get around 107 km per hour which is a bit more than 734 metric miles per hour o_O . More like 65 -66 on my pcx150 with around 700 miles on it
William T

Post by William T »

Eddie thanks for sharing that information. I just needed to know what to expect. I have a feeling that it is picking up a bit the more I open it up. I spent the 1st 300 miles keeping it under 45. There has been only a few times I've tried to push it faster. I was wondering about weight to speed relationship but it may be too soon for me to be considering that. Thanks again
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eddie wrote:Hey, there fellow, newbie.

Just for you info, I weigh 265 and i get around 107 km per hour which is a bit more than 734 metric miles per hour o_O . More like 65 -66 on my pcx150 with around 700 miles on it

Not sure I understand. Metric miles?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

you you wrote:
Eddie wrote:Hey, there fellow, newbie.

Not sure I understand. Metric miles?
Seen metric (decimal) feet measuring tapes in the USA, actually very useful.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

DAB wrote:Seen metric (decimal) feet measuring tapes in the USA, actually very useful.
???? I am still not sure what you are talking about. I have seen dual imperial/metric measuring tapes as well, but I have never heard of a metric mile.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It seems miles are not always the same! Googling shows the land mile is the same around the world (give or take the odd cm) but the nautical mile is different - why, who knows! Land, 1609 mtr's, sea/swimming pool, about 1500! Unless some people are modding their PCX to do a james bond and take to the water - a mile is a mile.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

kramnala58 wrote:
DAB wrote:Seen metric (decimal) feet measuring tapes in the USA, actually very useful.
???? I am still not sure what you are talking about. I have seen dual imperial/metric measuring tapes as well, but I have never heard of a metric mile.
10" = 1'
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

DAB wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:
10" = 1'
I can't recall ever hearing of that. I would need to see a picture of it. What is the point of it anyway? :?
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

[/quote]
I can't recall ever hearing of that. I would need to see a picture of it. What is the point of it anyway? :?[/quote]

If you have hundreds of tubes to measure (oil industry) and then add all the lengths together it is much easier to add
12.45'
13.32'
12.57'

than 12' 3/4" + 13' 5/7" + 11' 4/5"
Other rides
Eddie

Post by Eddie »

Sorry for the bad canadian humor :o , Mertic miles do not exist. I was just kidding around.

Here in the metric system world we us kilometers instead of miles. 1 mile = 1.60934 KM
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Eddie wrote:Sorry for the bad canadian humor :o , Mertic miles do not exist. I was just kidding around.
Here in the metric system world we us kilometers instead of miles. 1 mile = 1.60934 KM
Actually . . .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_mile
apparently they do!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus

Post by kramnala58 »

Eddie wrote:Sorry for the bad canadian humor :o , Mertic miles do not exist. I was just kidding around. Here in the metric system world we us kilometers instead of miles. 1 mile = 1.60934 KM
:) :) :) :) ... And I would have thought that being born a Canadian, I would have got it. But not that we see Iceman's link, I guess we learn something every day. My brain gets everything about metric except the feel of temps above freezing. I still think/feel in fahrenheit for that. Surprisingly enough, when it is below freezing I think/feel in celsius. .... I think I may have lived too many places in the world. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kramnala58 wrote:
Eddie wrote:Sorry for the bad canadian humor :o , Mertic miles do not exist. I was just kidding around. Here in the metric system world we us kilometers instead of miles. 1 mile = 1.60934 KM
:) :) :) :) ... And I would have thought that being born a Canadian, I would have got it. But not that we see Iceman's link, I guess we learn something every day. My brain gets everything about metric except the feel of temps above freezing. I still think/feel in fahrenheit for that. Surprisingly enough, when it is below freezing I think/feel in celsius. .... I think I may have lived too many places in the world. ;)

Never heard of Canadian humour before.

Thankfully.