Kicking the tires... PCX used buyers guide

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Kicking the tires... PCX used buyers guide

Post by homie »

Here we go, post what you more experienced owners would look for when buying a used PCX.
Ask for service records. Check for throttle play because that would tell me if it was serviced (cable only stretches so far). I would certainly look at the center stand for cracks in the mount. Park it on the C-stand and roll the rear wheel listening for the bearing issues. Look for over sized tires and note the mods that were needed to install them.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Kicking the tires... PCX used buyers guide

Post by yak »

Take the time to check the reserve (upper) coolant tank. That serves 2 purposes: it shows that the seller cared enuf to keep it full; and you can find a potential problem.... if the tank has cracked, it won't hold coolant and the replacement tank costs $54. The tank is under the seat and can be viewed without tools (maybe a screwdriver).
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Check for oil leaks... make sure the valve cover gasket is clean and not covered in "sealant".
Rusty exhaust components...
Weathered rubber... tires, grips etc. (Homie please, who in their right mind would install over-sized tires on a PCX :lol:) ;)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dasshreddar wrote:Check for oil leaks... make sure the valve cover gasket is clean and not covered in "sealant".
Rusty exhaust components...
Weathered rubber... tires, grips etc. (Homie please, who in their right mind would install over-sized tires on a PCX :lol:) ;)
very funny DS... who is going to tear down the sellers bike and look at valve cover gaskets :lol:

PS; if you new guys are wondering what some of this stuff is search the forum or ask for links to topics posted and many will help you.

and there is this to consider from YAK

"I just bought a 2013 PCX150 in Phoenix.... 2 weeks ago. It had 2,000 miles. Asking price $2,500. I got it for $2,300. Then paid $300 to check the valve adjustment (the valves did not need adjusting) and replacement of the reserve coolant tank (previous owner did not know that the tank was broken).
I had been shopping for 3 months. No one would bargain below $2,800 since all of the sellers had paid $3,800 less than one year ago; but all of the scooters were under 4,000 miles. Then I read on this forum about dealers discounting brand new 2013's. Sure enuf, one of the local dealers had 2 brand new 2013's for $2,600 ( you would have to negotiate the $310 dealer fee that is added).
Only pay $2,000 for that one with 11,000 miles if the owner has complete service records. I would normally encourage you to bargain down the price, but if it sells to someone else you might have to wait months before another one comes up for sale for $2,000."
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Listen for the bearing problem that some have had. The cvt area will sound like a gravel truck or cement mixer. Also check the brakes, or at least the brake lever play. Also check the rims for knicks or other signs that it might have been in an accident. And make sure the gas cap and cover work properly. I remember getting ours from the shop and the gas door would not work because they had neglected to reconnect the cable the opens the latch.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

This is going to scare the crap out of new members isn't it... maybe not half as much as a Forza list of possible fails :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

All in all though, the pcx is a sturdy bike. I haven't heard of anything that should make people shy away from it. Even though it has had some problems, all have been relatively easy and inexpensive to fix. If you don't use it as a mountain or dirt bike, it should be fine. Just dropping it does not constitute wrecking it. You could drop it from a standstill. Even replacement plastic is cheap to replace. There isn't much to be afraid of on this little dynamo.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Can you imagine buying a used Harley? o_O Does it leak within specifications? :P
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Just dropping it does not constitute wrecking it. You could drop it from a standstill. Even replacement plastic is cheap to replace. There isn't much to be afraid of on this little dynamo.
agreed, but dropping it might get you on my survivors list :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

SECoda wrote:Can you imagine buying a used Harley?
No.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I ride my buddy's second Harley on scenic treks or used to. :P I always ask him if his AAA (towing service) is paid up before we leave. One of them always has something wrong going on. :x
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I think the newer Harleys are fairly decent. My parents have a 2007 or 2008 Ultra Classic that they've taken across the USA a number of times with no issue. But I think the ones much older than that are iffy.
'88 BMW R100RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

SECoda said, "I always ask him if his AAA (towing service) is paid up before we leave."
:lol: I'm still laughing! :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

When I see a motorcycle broke down on the side of the road, its a Harley. ;)