Getting ready to buy soon.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Dave Bo
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Getting ready to buy soon.

Post by Dave Bo »

Hello everyone. I am getting ready to purchase a new 2015 PCX very soon. I bought a brand new Piaggio Typhoon 50 this past summer and had a blast with it! I put over 2,300 miles on it but in October of 2014, the state of Massachusetts decided to make all 50cc scooters "registerable"... In other words, instead of paying just $20.00 a year for a moped sticker, I would now have to register it, insure it, have it inspected every year, etc... I loved that little bike for around town riding. It could reach speeds of about 45 MPH (although long hills were definitely not it's friend). But now there is no good reason to pay all that extra registration stuff for a 50cc scooter. All that being said, it is time for an upgrade!

I really found this forum helpful in my decision making process... The new PCX 150 seems like the BEST scooter out there for the money. I am leaning towards a black one. Hoping to pull the trigger his weekend if I can find a hungry dealership! Wish me luck! ;)

Dave Bo
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Getting ready to buy soon.

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome Dave Bo! :P Where are you?
It might be that someone here can point you in a direction or help you in the buying process. So consider entering your location in your Profile. Just follow my simple directions right below this post.

I am Very Excited for You! And....You're Right! The 150 PCX is the best scoot!
You're gonna L.O.V.E. It!!
Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Dave Bo wrote:Hello everyone. I am getting ready to purchase a new 2015 PCX very soon. I bought a brand new Piaggio Typhoon 50 this past summer and had a blast with it! I put over 2,300 miles on it but in October of 2014, the state of Massachusetts decided to make all 50cc scooters "registerable"... In other words, instead of paying just $20.00 a year for a moped sticker, I would now have to register it, insure it, have it inspected every year, etc... I loved that little bike for around town riding. It could reach speeds of about 45 MPH (although long hills were definitely not it's friend). But now there is no good reason to pay all that extra registration stuff for a 50cc scooter. All that being said, it is time for an upgrade!

I really found this forum helpful in my decision making process... The new PCX 150 seems like the BEST scooter out there for the money. I am leaning towards a black one. Hoping to pull the trigger his weekend if I can find a hungry dealership! Wish me luck! ;)

Dave Bo

Ooh Piaggio typhoons are great bikes. PCXs are different but great in a different way
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

While we're talking about other bikes, what is everyone's opinion of the 2015 Yamaha SMAX? It has a slightly larger engine, 4 valves vs. the 2 valves on the PCX, and 1.5 more horsepower. On the downside, it has 13" wheels vs. the PCX's 14", it's 42 pounds heavier, and has a crazy looking windshield... It also costs about $250.00 more... Having not made a firm decision on what to buy yet, I'm just curious of other people's thoughts.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I think it is very close to the PCX but I don't think the step-through design is as cool looking.
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the step-through look either... I think the dashboard of the PCX is nicer as well. There also seems to be a lot of wasted space in between the top of the rear tire and the fender. I know it has a horizontal shock but... The seat height is also about 1" taller. Still leaning towards the Honda. :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for the profile fix. I bet it's chilly by you too.
Anywho, not a fan of the 2015 Smax. No likey the high arse, the dash, the seat and overall look. Ya know, Looks count...In my opinion.
image.jpg
image.jpg (89.9 KiB) Viewed 690 times
In the photo the rider looks cramped. Don't quick stop! Visit to knee doc in future. ( :? My crystal ball view)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Dave Bo

Post by Dave Bo »

Yes, Very Cold in New England... Can't wait until March. That's when I start riding ( with gloves, leather vest, thermal's, etc...). :) Loving this forum. I hope we can all help get each other through the next couple of months by talking about riding... LOL !!!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Dave Bo wrote:Yeah, I'm not a fan of the step-through look either... I think the dashboard of the PCX is nicer as well. There also seems to be a lot of wasted space in between the top of the rear tire and the fender. I know it has a horizontal shock but... The seat height is also about 1" taller. Still leaning towards the Honda. :)
I like the smax and step thru design, but it needs another 20+cc's... Until then I would lean towards Honda too. :)