1900 miles with no oil change how screwed am I?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

wibblet
Year: 2015
Color: white

1900 miles with no oil change how screwed am I?

Post by wibblet »

So I got my first moped a couple of months ago (2015 Honda PCX 150) and in the midst of the excitement I realized I never did any maintenance on it. My family isn't really handy so they thought I was exaggerating for wanting to get the oil changed. I read the manual and saw you have to do an oil change after 600 miles (oops!). Anyway, I came on here and saw the oil change guide and I'm going to do it today but I'm just wondering how much damage I've done to the bike? So far it's been running fine, the only issue is I actually feel the bike rumble more whenever I start it up or stop at a light.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 1900 miles with no oil change how screwed am I?

Post by gn2 »

wibblet wrote:just wondering how much damage I've done to the bike?
Probably none.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: red

Post by jims »

wibblet, I'll give you my opinion. You broke in the engine a little quicker than usual. Water under the bridge. Change the oil and go for a ride and don't worry about it.
The rumble may be a little glazing on the centrifugal clutch. If it really bothers you, you can buy a service manual to tear it down and sand it a little bit.

I agree with gn2.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

wibblet wrote:I never did any maintenance on it
PCX does not have an oil filter, just a screen. It would have been advisable to get the break-in particles out of the engine at 600 with a service. The most critical oil change you will ever do would have been that one ;)
As for how much unnecessary wear on your power plant because of this oversight...
Chief says "you are of the kind that will trade it before you'll ever know"
Attachments
chief2.jpg
chief2.jpg (5.23 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would put full synthetic in it now. Either that or change the oil, ride it for another couple of hundred miles and then change it to synthetic oil. That way you would get the loose particles out. That should help a lot, if there aren't any other problems with the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Just do it asap. It'll be fine. The 600 mile service isn't just an oil change though. It gets a check over for anything that's come loose, needs adjusted etc. Some dealers check the valve clearances as well but I wouldn't bother with that if the engine is quiet.

The priority is the oil change if nothing else with a good quality oil. I use castrol 4T 10w 30 but there's plenty of discussion about oil on the forum.
wibblet

Post by wibblet »

Okay awesome thanks guys I went ahead and changed the oil to full synthetic. It was surprisingly easy! I just used the guide found on here and I was done in 30 minutes. I haven't ridden it enough since the oil change to see if the rumble is still there but I'm glad to have found this forum.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

The noise you are hearing might just be the belt for the transmission vibrating. If it's something your not sure about find a "trained ear" to have a listen to it.
wibblet

Post by wibblet »

Alibally wrote:The noise you are hearing might just be the belt for the transmission vibrating. If it's something your not sure about find a "trained ear" to have a listen to it.
It's not really a noise more like a vibration but I have a feeling that it's normal. I'll be sure to get it serviced as soon as I can afford it haha
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

wibblet wrote:So I got my first moped a couple of months ago (2015 Honda PCX 150) and in the midst of the excitement I realized I never did any maintenance on it. My family isn't really handy so they thought I was exaggerating for wanting to get the oil changed. I read the manual and saw you have to do an oil change after 600 miles (oops!). Anyway, I came on here and saw the oil change guide and I'm going to do it today but I'm just wondering how much damage I've done to the bike? So far it's been running fine, the only issue is I actually feel the bike rumble more whenever I start it up or stop at a light.

You need to have a word with your family. They are clearly letting you down in this oil change incident. Or drama if you'd prefer.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Just did my first oil change at 5120 miles (although I had the dealer do the 1st service at around 700). Quite easy, the hardest part was screwing back in the oil-strainer thimble thing due to the spring :). The oil had a dark colour but the strainer had no bits in it at all - it was completely clean so I assume the dealer had in fact done the oil change properly if nothing else in the 30 minute 1st service (£83 all in!). Bike has been riding fine (despite the odd rattle from the plastics/mechanics) and is still giving me some of the best mpg ever - 147mpg twice in a row now!
larryinseattle
Year: 2011

Post by larryinseattle »

Read your owner's manual.
Current motorcycles:
2002 1800 ABS Wing
2001 Kawasaki Drifter
2005 Honda 600cc Silverwing
2011 Honda PCX 125

Goldwing Road Riders Association GWRRA# 338865

The Forum removes the time and distance between like minded individuals. It is quite the communication tool. I give great thanks to the owners of the board.

“Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.” Ralph Waldo Emerson.
mikeinflorida
Year: 2016
Color: Candy Red

Post by mikeinflorida »

I surely wouldn't discourage oil changes but most of the time, it never benefits the original owner because studies show most people only keep a vehicle for about 5 years.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

mikeinflorida wrote:I surely wouldn't discourage oil changes but most of the time, it never benefits the original owner because studies show most people only keep a vehicle for about 5 years.
but it makes one feel good and gives you something to do since today's cars and trucks are pretty much out of our league when it come to under the hood.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

The price of a litre of oil and about half an hour of time it doesn't do any harm at all to change it regularly. While it's draining the bike can be given a look over as well.

If the bike doesn't do a high mileage then at least one a year is sensible for an oil change as it can absorb moisture.

When you think about the service intervals on cars they can be 15000 + but the capacity is greater.

0.8 of a litre in the PCX so there isn't as much cooling effect so the oil will get hotter quicker so degrade faster.