Versatility.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Versatility.

Post by honkerman »

That's the thing I love about scooters. They are versatile. I take mine to work, travel long distance, go camping, hunting, and fishing. It's a shame more Americans don't seem to realize there's so much one can do on two wheels the same as on four, and the fuel savings are tremendous. Granted, gas is a bit more affordable at present, but still, a penny saved and all that.

Went hunting today in fact. Didn't get anything sadly, but it was still relaxing and envigorating.

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2015/09/on-hunt.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Versatility.

Post by gn2 »

Don't do hunting, but am keen on fishing.
Much more to fishing than catching fish they say but I always catch something and never ever blank.
Skill when you catch, luck when you don't ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

When I have the weather, nothing beats two-wheels. Well, maybe a small open aircraft.... It is impressive how little machine is necessary to get around with. Granted these are VERY modern machines. Such a "happy" little can-do bike.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

fetches a nice sixpack too
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Unless you're replacing your car, you are not saving much money most likely. $3,500 delivered for a PCX buys a lot of gas. Don't forget to add in insurance for another vehicle and depreciation. Kinda like driving for an extra half hour across town to save a dollar on a grocery item.

Scooters are a lot of fun, though.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:fetches a nice sixpack too
Hard to find a place that sells six-packs here in Pennsylvania. They finally legalized sale by the half case. A full 24 bottle case Just fits in my crate though. Picked up some Yuengling Oktoberfest yesterday. Pretty decent stuff. Only big American brewery that produces something other than bottled horse urine.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Bash On! wrote:Unless you're replacing your car, you are not saving much money most likely. $3,500 delivered for a PCX buys a lot of gas. Don't forget to add in insurance for another vehicle and depreciation. Kinda like driving for an extra half hour across town to save a dollar on a grocery item.

Scooters are a lot of fun, though.
For a while, it did. I didn't have a car of my own for two years, then a buddy gave me his old truck because he was afraid I was going to get killed in a snowstorm. TBH, a rear wheel drive truck with no weight in the bed isn't too much better in bad weather than a scooter...especially when the heater dies.

My car cost about twice what I spent on my scooter...It costs more than four times as much on gas, probably more...because it takes premium. It also saves some wear and tear on the car. I dunno, yeah, there's a bit of cost, but with the figures I've run, it really does pay for itself over time.

And there is that bonus...Riding a scooter is more fun than driving a car...even if it is a Jag...which can be a lot of fun too.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
jims
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: red

Post by jims »

I went to the Post Office this morning to mail something and picking up my sister-in-law. She fit under my seat. Her ashes I mean. She use to like to come up to New Hampshire to ride a old dirt bike I had, but never made it up here to try my scooter.

Versatility!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:Riding a scooter is more fun than driving a car...even if it is a Jag
When I bought my PCX I had a Jag, the money saved on fuel paid for the PCX and then some.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

jims wrote:I went to the Post Office this morning to mail something and picking up my sister-in-law. She fit under my seat. Her ashes I mean. She use to like to come up to New Hampshire to ride a old dirt bike I had, but never made it up here to try my scooter.

Versatility!
a tad morbid...But a scooter Hearse...that's...different.

Many condolences for your loss.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:Riding a scooter is more fun than driving a car...even if it is a Jag
When I bought my PCX I had a Jag, the money saved on fuel paid for the PCX and then some.
Yep. Jags take premium fuel. Scooter takes low octane. Pretty well a given that the scoot will be far cheaper to run in the long haul. Plus, I can do a lot of they scoot's maintenance myself, while the jag presents difficulties for maintenance in a driveway.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Yep. Jags take premium fuel. Scooter takes low octane. Pretty well a given that the scoot will be far cheaper to run in the long haul. Plus, I can do a lot of they scoot's maintenance myself, while the jag presents difficulties for maintenance in a driveway.

No they dont have to have premium fuel. Same octane supermarket stuff.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

With respect, I know that at least the S-Type, the xtype, and the Ford Era XJ's and XK's do require it or else it starts to knock. I've tried running low octane fuel in my s-type and even mid grade, but it runs poorly and starts knocking. The mfr recommendation is at least 92 octane (combined octane standard don't remember all the letters). Maybe some newer jags are different, but the Ford era jags at least were particular in their fuel tastes.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
RRocket

Post by RRocket »

Yes, very versatile. The fuel economy is so great it can't be ignored. My daily driver is a Porsche 911. But I've been driving the scooter to work most every day. People can't believe I'd rather drive the PCX than the 911.

No sure what to say about that except I've been enjoying the weather with my PCX lately..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
you you wrote:
honkerman wrote:

With respect, I know that at least the S-Type, the xtype, and the Ford Era XJ's and XK's do require it or else it starts to knock. I've tried running low octane fuel in my s-type and even mid grade, but it runs poorly and starts knocking. The mfr recommendation is at least 92 octane (combined octane standard don't remember all the letters). Maybe some newer jags are different, but the Ford era jags at least were particular in their fuel tastes.

Had a lovely blue S Type until earlier this year until a dozy bint drove into it. Ran perfectly on supermarket unleaded.